GoodYear 16 inch 14 ply tires

I found a thread while searching for something else about the 16 inch GoodYear G614 tires. We have a Mobile Suite and it came with LT235-85R16 GoodYear 14 ply tires. After less than 12 thousand miles one disintegrated doing over 4 grand in damage to our fiver.

GoodYear paid the damage and assured us in both e mails and by snail mail that the problem was only with 04 and 05 manufactured tires. We considered switching to 17.5 H rated tires at that time, but since they claimed the problem was fixed we installed all new 07 manufacture 16 inch tires on our rig. Long story short, we blew two more in the past week and a half, again damaging our RV. I am filing for GoodYear to repair our damage, don't know how that is going to turn out yet.

We ordered from trailertiresandwheels.com in Ohio four 17.5 wheels and tires, H rated and so far we can't find any bad reports about them.

If you are running the GoodYear 16 inch 14 ply tires on a heavy fiver, you would be money ahead to change to the 17.5 set up. trailertiresandwheels now have available wheels that will fit the 9/16 lugs so no changing brake drums or rotors is involved.

Just thought some of you might like this info.

Happy RVing. :cool::D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for that info Jim, I hope all goes well with your recent claim. And also, welcome to the Heartland Forum.

Tom of Ypsi

Thanks for the heads up on that Jim, I saw your post on another forum. Hopefully you can get your coach fixed in a timely manner and be back on the road soon. We also had the disintegrating tire but we are not sure it was caused by tire failure or a design flaw in our coach. I know several of us are considering th 17.5" H rated tires.

lwmcguir

We run some 17.5 and 19.5 as well in the G/H rating. Have had very good luck other than sometimes they are a bit difficult to balance due to the extra weight. Great tires but on the costly side. However coach damage is very high so there you go. What we have found over the years of towing, more Cattle and equipment, than coaches is that the temperature is the critical item. We have never had any major tire issues when towing during the off Summer season. However when the temps get to the 90's and the highway is hot the tires that at loaded heavy tend to unwrap or explode. You all know this from seeing the carcases along the road. If you are going to tow fast on hot days then that would be even further consideration for moving on to the 17.5 wheels/tires. Don't recall every blowing one of them. Only blew one 19.5 and it run low for many miles first.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We just had a G614 throw a tread and blow little more than three weeks ago...GY is paying our claim for all damages and 5 brand new tires. The tires we took off were also made in 07. We plan on using these tires for two years, since GY in effect bought us new tires, and then moving up to the 17.5 rims and H load tires...unless of course Michelin comes out with a G load...fat chance!!

Judy Bentley

Seakayaker
We had a Goodyear G rated tire lose all the tread down to the steel belt in Nova Scotia two weeks ago. Then, our spare blew out yesterday on our way back to the states. Some damage to our "classic" Landmark. We appreciate the discussion on the 17.5 H rated tires and rims and are seriously considering changing over. Last summer after the rally we had our axles switched out to 8000 lb. axles but did not change tires and wheels which are rated at 3750 lbs. each. We are a heavy Landmark with granite countertops. Comments and suggestions?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Curious. There isn't a whole lot of room between the 16" tires on my 3670 as it is. Going to a bigger wheel (17.5" or more) and tire sounds like they'd be almost rubbing each other. And now the GY G614's aren't all they were claimed to be, either? What to do? Park it up on cinder blocks?

When you say it threw the tread, are these recaps you're using? Or is the molded tread literally separating from the base it was originally molded to?

kakampers

No John, they were definitely NOT recaps..the tires were bought new in '07 and their manufacturer dates were only three months prior to our purchase. The tread literally separated from the tire...Goodyear knew this was a manufacturing problem, as they paid all damages and cost of new tires less than 48 hours after examining the tire and separated tread.

As for the 17.5" rim and tires...these actually have a slightly smaller profile than the 16" G loads...they have a smaller side wall, but hold MUCH more weight per tire. They will fit with probably a slight bit more room than a G load tire...that's what we're gonna do when we get a couple years (no more than 2), out of these G614's.

porthole

Retired
We had a Goodyear G rated tire lose all the tread down to the steel belt in Nova Scotia two weeks ago. Then, our spare blew out yesterday on our way back to the states. Some damage to our "classic" Landmark. We appreciate the discussion on the 17.5 H rated tires and rims and are seriously considering changing over. Last summer after the rally we had our axles switched out to 8000 lb. axles but did not change tires and wheels which are rated at 3750 lbs. each. We are a heavy Landmark with granite countertops. Comments and suggestions?

Stop at http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/site/1284278/page/910782 in Ohio on the way back to Florida.
Scott, the owner, went out of his way to help me and had the best prices on tires & wheels when I was looking. I get nothing out of this and highly recommend his facility.

As to size, the 17.5's are within .2" of standard 16 E rated tires. They take up no more room. And if you decide to run them at full pressure they have a 4800 pound load capacity. That is a 1000 pounds each more then the Goodyear G614

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
No John, they were definitely NOT recaps..the tires were bought new in '07 and their manufacturer dates were only three months prior to our purchase. The tread literally separated from the tire...Goodyear knew this was a manufacturing problem, as they paid all damages and cost of new tires less than 48 hours after examining the tire and separated tread.

As for the 17.5" rim and tires...these actually have a slightly smaller profile than the 16" G loads...they have a smaller side wall, but hold MUCH more weight per tire. They will fit with probably a slight bit more room than a G load tire...that's what we're gonna do when we get a couple years (no more than 2), out of these G614's.

Thanks for the info. Level-Up's leak, GY tires fall apart, China Bombs blow up, Lippert springs break, MorRyde's need grease...what's a body to do?? I gotta stop reading some of this stuff if I'm ever gonna do any upgrades.

Judy Bentley

Seakayaker
We purchased four brand new Goodyear G614's just before we went to the 2009 rally in Goshen, IN. Yes, they separated dramatically enough that the car behind us passed us, honked, and pointed to our rear wheel -- that was enough for Ron to pull over and check the tires. We had under 6,000 miles on these tires when this occurred. We know that we are heavy as we have had our rig weighed twice now and both times the numbers are on the high side. The tire failures have all happened on the kitchen side of the rig, which is the heavier side.

lwmcguir

We purchased four brand new Goodyear G614's just before we went to the 2009 rally in Goshen, IN. Yes, they separated dramatically enough that the car behind us passed us, honked, and pointed to our rear wheel -- that was enough for Ron to pull over and check the tires. We had under 6,000 miles on these tires when this occurred. We know that we are heavy as we have had our rig weighed twice now and both times the numbers are on the high side. The tire failures have all happened on the kitchen side of the rig, which is the heavier side.

Sounds like you are a great candidate for Goodyear G114 17.5 tires. Glad you didn't have a blow out for sure. Have you weighed the individual tires. Kind of tricky but sounds like you already know what you need to do. Do you have 7K axles?

kakampers

Thanks for the info. Level-Up's leak, GY tires fall apart, China Bombs blow up, Lippert springs break, MorRyde's need grease...what's a body to do?? I gotta stop reading some of this stuff if I'm ever gonna do any upgrades.

Yeah!! Unfortunately when you RV you spend alot of time wondering...what's next??? Like I said, they're a "rolling earthquake"...something's bound to shake loose, etc.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I guess what you do is buy a new RV instead of new tires. Instead of refilling the fresh water tank, buy a new RV. Instead of empting the black and gray tanks buy a new RV. RMFLMAO Nothing you can do except quit worrying. Like Alfred E. Neuman used to say (Mad Magazine) "What Me Worry?"

traveler44

The first thing I thought about 17.5" tires and rims was the clearances. The next thing was how much air pressure in them? It don't give me much confidence for somebody to talk about clearances and compare 16.5" and 17.5" when all of the bighorns came with 16" standard. If GY claims it was older G614 tires that were defective has anybody had 09s or newer G614s blow yet? How many ply are these 17.5s? Would they do less or more damage if they blow? Tom M.

porthole

Retired
It don't give me much confidence for somebody to talk about clearances and compare 16.5" and 17.5" when all of the bighorns came with 16" standard.

Oh gee williker's sorry about the typo, it has been corrected.

From Goodyears website:
Tire Size Load Range Side

G114's LT235/85R16 G614 diameter = 30.7 --- Load = 3750 at 110 psi
H114's 215/75R17.5 H114 diameter = 30.5 ---- Load = 4,805 at 125 psi

Last edited:

kakampers

The first thing I thought about 17.5" tires and rims was the clearances. The next thing was how much air pressure in them? It don't give me much confidence for somebody to talk about clearances and compare 16.5" and 17.5" when all of the bighorns came with 16" standard. If GY claims it was older G614 tires that were defective has anybody had 09s or newer G614s blow yet? How many ply are these 17.5s? Would they do less or more damage if they blow? Tom M.

Since Duane answered the first part of your question, I'll take on the rest. If I remember correctly the G114's (17.5) are 16 ply tires. As for '09s or newer blowing...most everyone who's had a tread separation issue, it's occured usually between 2 and 3 years of age, so it's just too early to know about those year tires yet.

Will they cause more or less damage...I can't imagine how anyone could answer that question...when a tread comes off at approximately 2,500 revolutions per minute, it's pretty much gonna destroy anything it hits, the size of the tire isn't really gonna make any difference...JMHO!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Remember when a tire blows or the tread comes off there is nothing such as an inner fender to prevent damage to the body of the coach. Our first blow-out caused $4800 damage to the wheel well area including fender skirt, j-wrap, wiring areas. The second blow-out caused $4200 in damage in the same areas. So the bottom line is if you have a blow-out get ready to pay or at least have good insurance. The thing with Goodyear is in many instances they will pickup the tab for the damage and replace the tire. Other tire companies will not. Mine were Chinese made tires that blew and my insurance pay damages not the tire manufacturer.

porthole

Retired
My buddy has a Cedar Creek. When it was a year old he had a blow out on the way to meet us for a weekend. He was so upset he turned around.
Anyway, Cedar Creek, not the china bomb company and not insurance paid for the entire repair, including replacing all the original tires with new Goodyear G614's and aluminum rims - all 5. He only had 4 aluminum to begin with.

Goodyear it seems in almost every case is stepping rather quickly, which can only mean..........

lwmcguir

Since Duane answered the first part of your question, I'll take on the rest. If I remember correctly the G114's (17.5) are 16 ply tires. As for '09s or newer blowing...most everyone who's had a tread separation issue, it's occured usually between 2 and 3 years of age, so it's just too early to know about those year tires yet.

Will they cause more or less damage...I can't imagine how anyone could answer that question...when a tread comes off at approximately 2,500 revolutions per minute, it's pretty much gonna destroy anything it hits, the size of the tire isn't really gonna make any difference...JMHO!

We run some 17.5 tires on a couple of larger trailers. Tow about 2X what a HL large coach weighs. Knock on wood, have never blown out or had the tread come off a 17.5 yet. Have ran a couple down low and had to replace them due to the heat in the sidewall. don't have monitors on them. The heavy sidwalls heat up fast if you flex them to much such as running one low.

If you think about the cost and aggravation with the damage it may be worth biting the bullet and upgrading. We have the G614's on the Augusta and they are three years old now. Look like new but? I think I am almost talked into pulling them off and going to the 17.5. Going to take a bit over $2300 to pull that off with the best prices that I can find.