Goodyears not always Good.

scottyb

Since you went with a lower rated tire, I would be curious in 2-3 years how this works out.

Pick up a Towmax (38 lb) and an XPS Rib (56 lb) side-by-side and tell me which one should be lower rated. Are the LT's rated lower because they carry passengers or maybe because they are rated for higher speeds? It's comparing apples to oranges.

mobilcastle

You may want to check out these tires.
http://simpletire.com/sailun-235-85r16-8244393-tires

They are on the used rig (3670) I bought and I had planned to use them if I bought a rig that had ST tires on it-I don't plan to ever run ST's on a GVWR of 16K. Prior owner said no problems. He is a truck driver. Stated that they have bout 20K on them and they look good. Built in 09.

I have not been happy with some Goodyear tires I put on my car. I don't understand why G614's are so high in price. I also know you can have a blowout on any tire. I have been fortunate not to ever have one.

lwmcguir

Pick up a Towmax (38 lb) and an XPS Rib (56 lb) side-by-side and tell me which one should be lower rated. Are the LT's rated lower because they carry passengers or maybe because they are rated for higher speeds? It's comparing apples to oranges.
I know a G614 will outlast any of the LT tires on the market in trailer service from experience. I am just curious how loading up an LT will work for others. We usually blow them out where they are loaded up at or near their capacity. The ST's are designed to be slid and turned as in trailer service. I know some have had good luck with LT's on trailers but usually they aren't loaded at max. I agree the heavier tire usually is better as long as the sidewall holds up. We just run the G114's due to the damage the lower rated tires create when they blow. They will outlast the others if you are planning on keeping the coach. We have blown out all the 10 ply tires on the market but when they were loaded at capacity and running hot.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
After reading these posts my head is spinning :) A lot of conjecture and opinions.
It's an opinionated world we live in. Your Landmark probably came with G614's. Just keep the air up and enjoy. That's what we do. If a tire is going to fail, there isn't much else we can do to prevent it other than park the rig in a campground.

caissiel

I always run nose down so the trailer is level when unhooking from the truck. The reason the ST tires fail in the rear axle is on tandom tires the front tire lift the road debris and the rear tire gets it. LT tires are much better protected on the thread surface with deeper threads. The Freestar tires are LT's 14 Ply with the posibility of regrooving. That tells me the rubber surface is deep enough to endure debris on the road. I did get a nail in one tire and it had a slow leak for over a year. I don't know where it was located because I rotate my 5 tires yearly. Will be repairing it before leaving for florida.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Do we limit tire life to less than 3 years

ST tires lose 1/3rd of their strength in 3 years.

So in theory the Goodyear's performed as they should.

There is a huge difference in new tires failing and 3 yr old tires failing.

I would not bundle this guys tire issues with the poor Towmax quality that Heartland and so many other RV companies feel is good enough for you and me.

They did not fail with 500, 1000, or 2000 miles on them.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I know a G614 will outlast any of the LT tires on the market in trailer service from experience. I am just curious how loading up an LT will work for others. We usually blow them out where they are loaded up at or near their capacity. The ST's are designed to be slid and turned as in trailer service. I know some have had good luck with LT's on trailers but usually they aren't loaded at max. I agree the heavier tire usually is better as long as the sidewall holds up. We just run the G114's due to the damage the lower rated tires create when they blow. They will outlast the others if you are planning on keeping the coach. We have blown out all the 10 ply tires on the market but when they were loaded at capacity and running hot.

I guess you haven't seen the side wall of a Towmax tire. It is extremely thin with no metal belt reinforcement.

azdryheat

I've never had an LT fail, which is why they are now on my fiver. Have around 7,000 miles on them and all is good (knocking on wood).

BarneyFife

I would not bundle this guys tire issues with the poor Towmax quality that Heartland and so many other RV companies feel is good enough for you and me.

They did not fail with 500, 1000, or 2000 miles on them.

You hit the nail on the head here. Any tire can have blowouts. But with the Towmax tires, I see two big issues.

1. Their track record is becoming quite abysmal. Countless posts throughout the web with multiple stories of tires blowing apart with very few miles.

2. Failing to stand behind their product when it does fail. Again, anyone can make a "bad apple out of a bunch". But when that bad apple does go wrong, why can't the company stand behind their product and make things right? Toy haulers, tires, etc. When you sale a product that's a poor example of the image you want of your brand, stand behind it and make things right.

I switched to Good Year after my recent blowout and consequent camper damage. From what I've learned in my research, they do a far better job of making things right when their product goes wrong.

If my next toy hauler purchase only offers TowMax tires and nothing else, I won't buy it. Heartland, Keystone, Forest River, whoever. You think you're saving money by going this route with these brand of tires but your reputation is taking a big hit. Much harder to get that back.