Got a strange leak

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is a tool that works and isn't too expensive. Looks like a tile nibbler but the jaws are sharp and close completely to make the cut. Takes a little hand strength, but works. Lowe's had them. I'll look later to see if I can find the name of it. I have one in my PEX repair kit for the rig.

herefishy

There is a tool that works and isn't too expensive. Looks like a tile nibbler but the jaws are sharp and close completely to make the cut. Takes a little hand strength, but works. Lowe's had them. I'll look later to see if I can find the name of it. I have one in my PEX repair kit for the rig.

Probably like a hoof cutter for horses hooves.

herefishy

Yes, have one of those - at home.

- - - Updated - - -

The cutting pliers are to cut off the clamp, right? Would like to do that and leave the tube intact. Although, don't know yet if the tube has a hole in it.

danemayer

Yes the diagonal cutting pliers are to cut off the crimp/clamp. It takes a bit of wrestling to get it off. I also have the tool that is specifically made to cut through the crimp rings, but I find the diagnonals work better.

JohnDar

Right, the pliers are to cut the clamp. The tool that Westwind shows is for cutting the pipe. That one actually is for copper, they make one specifically for plastic pipe to insure a clean, square cut.

In case you're not familiar with PEX fittings, there are two types of clamps. One is a copper alloy ring and the other is the stainless steel crimp like HL used. Both work but require different tools and techniques to install. You will need to have the correct one for the type of clamp you use.
Nope, I'm not a plumber, just an owner that's had to learn how to do many things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

herefishy

Well, I've really screwed up things now. Turns out the lines in our box were to the bathroom sink, not the washing machine. So now if I take the plugs off, I won't have enough pex to connect things up again. Should have done it the right way and put cutoff valves in instead of the easy way to put plugs in. Can you splice pex? Am I smart enough to get new pex and thread it up to the sink? Lordy Lordy.

danemayer

Well, I've really screwed up things now. Turns out the lines in our box were to the bathroom sink, not the washing machine. So now if I take the plugs off, I won't have enough pex to connect things up again. Should have done it the right way and put cutoff valves in instead of the easy way to put plugs in. Can you splice pex? Am I smart enough to get new pex and thread it up to the sink? Lordy Lordy.

Not too late to get cutoffs. If they won't fit, you can buy short lengths of pex and press on couplers and make it all fit together. Just be careful when cutting. Measure 14 times, then cut.

JohnDar

Do It Center hardware stores will sell PEX in whatever length you need. As Dan mentioned, use the Sharkbite couplers to reconnect your sink supply lines. They're less of an investment in tools, etc. The other thing about Sharkbite fittings is that the water passage is actually 1/2", not 1/8" or 3/16" like the plastic OEM ones or the brass crimp ones. The less restriction in the lines, the better the flow.

herefishy

Well, it gets more and more interesting. Put some extensions on and everything looked pretty good, but had one leak. There was a tee in the hot line that broke off when we were trying to extend it. Hoping that was the tee that went to the washer, rather than there being a separate line to the washer. Having those lines plugged, we were only missing water to the bathroom sink, so think the tee must be inactive?