Grand Canyon or Key Largo???

Mike-n-Justina

We are thinking of trading in or selling our 2012 Big Country 3690SL. We are interested in a Landmark Grand Canyon or the Landmark Key West. They are both new 2014 models. Seen the new diamond white and didn't care for it.Does anyone have any options on these 2 models? We really like both, but have not been in the Grand Canyon yet. We need to drive 5 hours to look at it. We would appreciate any comments that might help us decide.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you are really wanting one of those floorplans, I would do it quickly. As they have discontinued all current Landmark floorplans. This is due to the Landmark being revamped into the Landmark365. They have done some nice stuff and added some nice features. But they are taking some of the present floorplans and changing the names. They have stopped making any of the older floorplans already. So if you want one of those, you might find what your looking for on a dealers lot. Heartland can give you an idea as to where you can find the floorplan you are looking for. Good luck on your search.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have a 2011 Grand Canyon and love it. My wife loves her wrap-around counter in the kitchen, which has been changed, even before the new Landmark 365 that is currently being revamped. As Michael said, the entire Landmark line has been discontinued for the new models.

jrzygrl64

Bill and I have a 2014 Grand Canyon and we LOVE it! It doesn't have a peninsula anymore but has an island.

Good luck in your decision.

adam

One item that pushed us towrds the Key Largo was the fact that it had a unobstructed basement area. Some of the discontinued floorplans had ABS pipes that ran across that space.

That was a deal breaker for me.

Adam

Rodbuster

We had a 2012 Key Largo and now we have a 2014 Grand Canyon. They are both beautiful units but we prefer the Grand Canyon.

Everybody has different taste....for that reason, I suggest you physically look at both "before" your purchase.

Dick

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the 2015 Key Largo and are enjoying it. The Grand Canyon might be a little shorter (I think it's 8" shorter) and just a tad bit lighter so that might be something to consider. The bedroom in the GC has a different setup because of the stairs being on the other side instead of the door side making it feel bigger for those that don't like the closed in feeling. Also with the stairs being on the off side, you might loose some kitchen storage area. Our turn-off on the bathroom is where the toilet sits in the GC therefore we went with the KL.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We are partial to the Key Largo too....we have been full time in ours for almost two years...we have yet to find anything about this floor plan that we do NOT like!

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We have a 2011 Grand Canyon, so the floorplan for the kitchen is different (major difference is island in 2014 vs peninsula in 2011). We love the storage you get in the Grand Canyon with the Bedroom SuperSlide. The pantry space is enormous. With the two off door slides out, almost the entire off door side is extended. However, as you can see from all the other responses, it really becomes a matter of personal preference.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We had the Bighorn 3585RL which is the Bighorn version of the Grand Canyon. We have since traded that for a 2015 Key Largo and love it. Both floor plans have their perks and nice features but we absolutely love the unobstructed basement pass through and the full shower and abundant storage in the bathroom.

No matter which one you choose you will absolutely love it. You just need to check them both out and figure out which floor plan works best for you.

Rod Ditrich

Mike-n-Justina

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts. We just looked at the key largo in myrtle beach last week,and there is a grand canyon about 5 hours from where we live to look at. I like the thought of the steps on off door side but not sure about room between bath and bed. I seen that big horn has the same version. Does anyone know the differences in the 2 besides the name? If grand canyon is still there in a couple of days,we will see about it. 2014 are hard to find in full body paint now and we do not like the diamond white. Seen the new port in myrtle beach last week.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have the Bighorn 3585RL, which is the same basic floor plan as the Landmark Grand Canyon.
There is also the Big Country 3450TS with the same floor plan.
Although ours is a 2011, they remain basically the same.
The differences, besides the name is in the fluff.
Nicer furniture, larger window by the dining table, all stainless appliances, fancier woodwork and more for the Grand Canyon.
I don't think the Bighorn comes in full body paint.
You would have to do a side by side comparison to see the differences.
You will like the storage cabinets in the hall slide going to the bedroom.
There is only one tight spot between the bed and bath wall and the bathroom is a bit small for me, but in any RV there will be compromises.
That was ours as we like the large bedroom slide with the extra cabinets, the grand staircase and the downstairs floor plan.
Have you called the Landmark sales team to find out if there is one at a dealer closer than 5 hours?
Might be worth the call.

Peace
Dave

Mike-n-Justina

I just tried to call and left a message for them to return my call. I really like the stairs on the curb side but the room between bed and bath is a worry. There seems to something you have to compromise on in every unit.

jrzygrl64

We also do not like the tight spot between the bed and the bathroom door in our Grand Canyon- the way we are going to make that better is by cutting down the bed and using a queen mattress. Adds 10" - which is a lot. We had neighbors in a CG once that had a queen instead of king in the otherwise same unit - HUGE positive difference.