Grand Tetons in July 2015

dprince99

Looking for the best route to get to Colter Village RV park in the Grand Tetons from Michigan.
We have a 43 foot fifth wheel toy hauler and are about 26,000 pounds total, going down the road.
we are concerned about low bridges, steep long up-and-down Hill grades, and tight turns.
any guidance, expierance, or any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Also looking for recommendations on Coulter Village RV park or any other parks in the area that might be better. We wii then be heading to Hill City SD.
thanks Again,
Dave :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dave, looking at RVParkReviews those that have stayed there were ok with it. Pull throughs, though not very level, and full hookups within the park.
If you haven't been to Hill City you are going to love that area.
If you don't already have it I suggest that you install Allstays Camp and RV app on your phone.
It is a great app that makes finding RV parks in any are very easy.

Peace
Dave

dprince99

Hi David, Hope all is well...
We will stay in Hill City and then sneak down to Sturgis for bike week as we have in the past. :)
We were thinking about doing the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone before Sturgis but if I have to go up / down and around a lot of big hills it may not happen. Looking for The flattest way possible.
Do you remember the name of the campground in Corpus Christie that we were talking about? Jinny & I may have to head that way if it gets too cold here.
Thanks Again & Stay Safe!!!

Last edited:

kkamshop

David, we left from MI in 2008 - made it to Hampton IL the first night, a COE (I think?) on the Mississippi River. I -80 to next stop which was a St Recreation area park near Gibbon Nebraska (Windmill). We got off I-80 at Ogallala and took 26 to Scottsbluff, where we stayed a couple of days visiting sites in the area.

From there, we got on I-25 to Casper WY and then on 20/26 to Riverton. All of this is a gentle climb, not enough to cause any problems. It got a little steeper at Togwogotee Pass where there was road construction, but still not bad. You can basically stay on 26 from Ogallala to Colter Bay.

Have a great trip!

dprince99

Thanks Ken, initially we thought that we might take I-80 to US 191 but looks like it might be better to take I-80 to 29 to 26

TXTiger

If you take I-80 thru Neb there are lots of state parks or State Recreation Aera (SRA) as they call them. I have stayed at Two RIvers outside of Omaha and Eugene Mahony between Omaha and Lincoln. Mahony is great for kids with a water park in the campground. Also SRA's at Grand Island, Kearny and North Platt. There is also a Cabellas at Sidney with a campground or you can stay in their parking lot. From there you can get on I-25 in WY.

Whenyou get to the Black Hills there are many camp grounds near Hill City. Rafter J is popular. Or if you want a state park Custer State Park is fantastic. I work there as a volunteer I the summer. It's only $25 a night with electric. There is a shower in every camp ground with water available for you fresh water tank and a free dump station inside the park. CSP is close to Hill City, Custer City, Crazy Horse and Mt Rushmore and about 30 to 45 min from Sturges.