Just ordered new 2009 Cyclone 3210

RIOF16

About Cyclones and other pontifications

Just remember Lakeshore RV center is still a dealer, and John is still a salesman. That means they are in this to profit from YOU. Having said that, I believe they are about as honest as you could find in a dealer. Remember, ultimately, they are in it for THEIR interest, not yours. That means YOU need to make sure you are getting what you paid for and ASSUME NOTHING. ASSUME NOTHING. Take your time, slow down, and make sure everything is like you were promised and what you expected. In fact, be nice and respectful, but assume that it won't be right before you show up. MINE WASN'T. Reference previous post for examples like the heat pump. That was a factory mistake, but Lakeshore didn't do a good enough inspection to find it either before I showed up. Now, this tells me a lot about how they really go through the trailer and make sure it's ALL RIGHT and as you ordered before you get there doesn't it? They assumed, didn't they? Will they make it right? Well, sort of. They have offered to either pay me back for the option, or have it installed at no extra cost. Sounds good right? Except one little problem: I still need the heat pump and solar charger. So that means I have to pull the trailer to somewhere to get it installed. And, will it be installed correctly, as good as factory? I wonder. What about my fuel and wear on my truck, and MOST importantly, what about my TIME!? Think I'll be reimbursed for that? Lesson learned: assume there will be issues, and in the end you will pay more than you think. That way, you won't be disappointed as badly by being naive. Bummer, but that's life. Heaven won't be like that. In fact, if you believe in Jesus Christ, He will make sure it is the opposite: better than you could ever imagine, and it won't end.

Another example: 180 dollar processing fee on the sales agreement. Did I know that was coming? No. Big deal? Not really, but it's YOUR hard earned money, make them earn it. You see, this world is all about deception. I say I will sell you something for 46,600, and in reality, you are just getting started. Options, taxes, "processing fees", insurance, extended warranty, title, registration, interest cost, loan fees, etc. Not to mention maintenance, repairs, and operating costs. So, let's say you pay 1400 for an extended warranty. You think that means it will never cost you anything ever again to fix the trailer? What if the fridge quits. The warranty will cover it, right? Well, sort of. What about the 50 dollar deductible? Where will you get it worked on? How about your TIME? Will you take a day off work to pull it to the dealer? Then another day off a week later to pick it up? What about the 100 bucks or more in fuel to transport it for repairs? Not covered.

All I am saying, is don't be ignorant. It will save you pain. I knew I was paying more than what it's really worth, but the other option is to sit in a corner and never experience life.

And the bottom line is, I think John will do his best to earn your money, and I would definitely order from him again. Don't go very far with this, but just remember, they have to make a profit. It's just that salemen and dealers of any kind are WAY overpaid. I have been through countless years of college, schooling, training, wars, getting shot at, killing people, and YEARS sacrificed away from my family to be qualified for the job I now work. Now, I have a job that pays me a good paycheck because of my years of experience and qualifications, and the great responsibility to get 137 people safely back to the ground repeatedly everyday. See any difference in who "earns" what they're paid? Just like movie stars and their millions, right? Life isn't anywhere near being fair, I've just chosen to take my little piece and make it the best I can and sincerely care about and help other "normal people" along the way. To me, all this trouble to get this trailer is worth the few days of joy it will provide me and the lab when we're sitting in a duck blind in Maryland or out in South Dakota hunting pheasant.

Now, is the cyclone worth 50 grand? No, but this is 2008, and if you buy anything at all these days, you have to pay more than it's worth because the dollars in your pocket don't buy much anymore because of government corruption and OVER TAXATION. Bottom line is, the government isn't by the people, for the people anymore, isn't government by the government for the government, and that means your blood is what they want to support them. It's time for another Boston Tea Party. Anyway, don't get me started :)

Could I have "talked them down" anymore? Probably, but I'm too nice for my own good. I paid the price assuming [oops] that I would get taken well care of for the thousands in profit they are making. You see, even after all my life's lessons, I can't help but think the best in people. And it's still going to cost me to make it like I expected it to be.

All I am saying is protect yourself and assume nothing.

By the way, Mike in service did my PDI, and he is a great dude. He didn't know jack about my trailer, but when I pointed something out, he fixed it happily. Seriously, he didn't even know what options I had on it. He stood right there looking right at my fridge and said "yep, that's the bigger upgraded one". Well, it's actually not. A simple referencing of the model number on google will tell the truth: 8 cubic feet.
Don't assume your service guy is a cyclone expert. He's not. YOU should be before you show up. Do your research and ask us, the actual owners who push the buttons and watch it work. Even though I just bought it and don't know everything about it yet, you can ask me something and I'll go look at it or turn it on and we'll find out.

Again I will say after all this that I'm glad I got the cyclone. It's a really cool trailer, and my lab likes it, which is what really matters :)

Good luck, I gotta go run before I fly today.
RIO

http://home.att.net/~soloshideaway/751/tree.htm

Last edited:

davelinde

New 2009 Cyclone 3210 is an awesome trailer.

Lessons:

Nice list! Much of your experience resonates with me. Here's my reaction.

- This thing is well-built and engineered for an RV. It isn't perfect, or built like a home, but it is obvious heartland is making a good product compared to many others. Well thought out.

> I am very happy with much of it, especially details like the extra AC power outlets and extra DC lights. I do not like the wasted space between the toilet enclosure and bath sink - pretty much my only layout gripe.

- Rear screen is nice if you plan to have the back ramp down at night.

> We found it lets bugs in at the bottom and is hard to latch. I'm looking at some minor mods to help with that. We do like it.

- Generator runs smooth. It isn't silent, but not really loud. Costs a lot. Don't know how much gas it will use in a night. That could be a significant cost. Remember, you only need the gen for...

> It does seem to be a bit of a fuel pig so far - though mine is not broken in and I don't have much data on consumption. I think it's quiet enough and an awesome luxury - we've been loving ours so far.

- I bought the dual 6 volt batteries from the dealer. A must for "unplugged" use. Extends the use of lights for days. Should be a factory option.

> agreed. I'll be doing that upgrade myself later. The battery box provided is NOT well sealed as installed either.

- No electronic ignition on cook stove. Weak, dude, I mean come on. Bring long handle lighter.

> Completely agree. And the oven is very small. Did not compare well to our Jayco

- Water pump makes a lot of noise. Pressure is up and down,

> I consider mine OK - compares favorably to our Jayco.

- 75 gals ain't much.

> It's a lot compared to our Jayco -- although it seems mine is plumbed so the bottom of the tank can't be pumped. Am looking into fixing this.

- Two A/Cs will probably come in handy.

> We will see. Still debating if the second unit goes in the bedroom or the garage. Need to get some hot weather and measure it. Although... last trip in Myrtle Beach it was 100 and we did OK.

- But, it pulls VERY stable and smooth.

>agreed

- 10,266 lbs vehicle ship weight on the sticker.

> Didn't find that sticker but our first weigh was 12,660

- Bought the 7 year warranty with 50 dollar deductible.

> Considered it and decided to self insure.

- Brakes work absolutely great with Tekonsha T3 controller. Great benefit having 3 axles with 6 wheels on the trailer with brakes. It will stop.

> Very true, really like that.

- However, it is very hard on the tires and wheels to make a hard turn and drag that third axle. You can watch them roll and twist.

> I have not noticed this to be worse than a tandem. Backing up in gravel the triple did seem to "fight back" on turns. But in general FW axles twist a lot and this one is no different.

- Rides good towing, but jerks the truck back and forth some when hitting bumps. I have a set of ride-rite air helpers sitting at home to install yet.

> My ride is rougher and I have the Firstones in already. Still, for the weight it's not bad. I'd compare the 3210 w/airbags and Bilstein shocks to the ride I had on my Jayco with my truck stock. Expansion joints can start to bounce you for sure.

- 10 mpg (diesel) with truck mentioned above. 26 gal tank on shortbed truck = short range. Looking into 20 gal aux tank for bed of truck.

> I'm getting 9.7 to 10.7 mpg

RIOF16

Good words, Dave.
Here's my latest:
- Front pull-down steps were sitting very crooked. On closer inspection, I realized when I pulled them down, the left side was sitting on a big weld-glob. Got out the grinder and some black spray paint and fixed it.
- Back ramp-door does not line up right. It's too far right. You have to slam it and wedge it in when you close it. I had to also grind off part of the head of the top side screw on the ramp door and hammer it in flush to get the door to shut and latch. - WEAK.
- Rolled out the carpet for the garage... it's 12 foot. They sent the wrong one. But, it sure makes that garage nice, like a room... well, if two feet weren't sticking out the back, that is. I would definitely get the carpet.
- Sister gashed her hand on the side rail for the front steps. On closer inspection, I realized the rivets on the rail all had a little sharp burr sticking out. Must be from a bad rivet gun at the factory.
- I dug out the adapters, and realized that I had one for a standard 110 house plug. So, I pulled the RV next to my mom's house and plugged into a wall outlet. Realize you'll only have 15 or 20 amps if you do this before you pop a breaker in the house, but it's nice for lights and fans, vacuum, and fridge. Also TV and stereo.

RIO reporting.

bigredtruck

DH just arrived at Lakeshore about 30 minutes ago and I imagine is starting the PDI now. I will forward your latest items on to him, RIO. Thanks.
Now I am very excited, but have to wait 4 days for him to get home!!!!

bigredtruck

well the rig has been 'home' for a week now and we stayed in it for 5 nights. all seems to be OK so far (Knock on wood). Lakeshore RV, according to DH, was really good about fixing everything he found, but didn't really look for stuff with im. His neighbours at the Lakeshore 'campground' weren't doing a PDI at all until they saw DH crawling underneath. They didn't even know what to look for, so I hope all went well for them.
we do have issues, but nothing insurmountable. the plumbing for the fresh water tank may need to be extended, as I ran out of water with the sensor showing 1/3 full and had just put water in. Either that or we went a little crazy because of the huge tanks :)
All in all, we are thrilled and can hardly wait for our first trip.