Grease on brakes

mobilcastle

I talked to a camper I know and his new (used) purchase of a TT he bought has grease in the brakes probably from easy lube fittings. He wants to know if the shoes can be cleaned. I recommended replacement of the shoes or total back plate since cost difference is minimal. Anyone know if they can be cleaned and with what product? He does not want to spend $$ if he doesn't have to. Thanks
Steve

hoefler

I would not waste the time to clean them. For the cost of the labor, you can buy new shoes, matter of fact, I replaced the entire brake assembly for $30 a wheel.

Dave49

I agree, replace the brakes. No amount of brake clean can save them for sure. Not something that is worth the hassle.

lynndiwagoner

The best way to go is etrailer and replace the entire assembly. It contains all new material, including magnets. Relatively easy job, and will return the brakes to original effectiveness.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You will never get the grease out of the lining. Even the drums will be tough cause the cast iron is very porious. Use only brake or carb cleaner and no solvents cause they can have oil in them.

GOTTOYS

I had the same problem. Mine were that way when it was delivered. I never had much braking. Took it apart a couple years later and found the mess. I cleaned all the drums with brake cleaner. I used plenty of it. Replaced all the complete brake assemblies. Cleaned and repacked the bearings and replaced all the wheel seals. When it was all done I burnished the new brakes per the instructions on the Dexter website then I readjusted them. For the first time since I owned the trailer the brakes worked really well. I can now lock them up if I use the manual override on my controller. Before I started to burnish them in they would barely stop so I know the Dexter people are right about this part..Don

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had the same problem. Mine were that way when it was delivered. I never had much braking. Took it apart a couple years later and found the mess. I cleaned all the drums with brake cleaner. I used plenty of it. Replaced all the complete brake assemblies. Cleaned and repacked the bearings and replaced all the wheel seals. When it was all done I burnished the new brakes per the instructions on the Dexter website then I readjusted them. For the first time since I owned the trailer the brakes worked really well. I can now lock them up if I use the manual override on my controller. Before I started to burnish them in they would barely stop so I know the Dexter people are right about this part..Don

I had the same exact scenario when I received my rig. Fortunately it was caught within a month and everything was replaced under warranty.
I also agree, breaking them in properly is a must-do. Trace

Last edited:

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Replace at least the shoes or better yet the whole backing plate. Dexter says you can clean the drums adequately with copious amounts of brake cleaner.