The Right Grease

BigGuy82

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Bighorn to disc brakes and I'll be using Redline CV-2 Grease. However, during the research (I don't turn nut one until I've researched the entire project to death), I talked to an engineer/technician at Redline and I asked about mixing greases, because I have several tubes of Pennzoil red grease to use up and wanted to know if I packed the bearings with CV-2 could I use the Pennzoil grease in the EZ Lube zerks every few thousand miles. The answer was a firm no. Further, he said that you should not mix greases, even if they are of a similar type (ie - red moly with red moly of differing brands). The reason being that unless they are compatible (and who would really know without lab testing) the grease components may not mix, leaving only an oil layer between the two greases. Result? Bearing failure.

Now you may have already known this, but I didn't and I have been been working on cars and trucks for 50 years. I knew there were specific greases for specific applications, but not that you couldn't mix two greases that were designed for the same application. Good to know and just passing it along for those who have interest.