Grease on brakes

jhardin

I am repacking bearings for first time since buying my RV. I am cleaning bearings and hubs, packing and applying new grease and seals. What has my concern is that there was an awful lot of grease on the brake pads and all inside where the brake pads are. I cleaned it with brake cleaner (pads also) and allowed to dry. Then I used a heat gun on the pads to try and burn off the residue, then brake cleaner again. This problem was in both sets of brakes on the off door side. Should I replace the pads and maybe turn the drums or do you think they will be okay? Also, lots of post about not filling hub with grease, but what is confusing is the Manuel says when putting grease in zerk look for grease expanding around outside of bearing toward you. The way I see it, that would be filling the hub with grease. Any suggestions. Getting ready to go from South Ga. to Colorado in a few weeks and I am a little concerned about the brakes, if you know what I mean..... All suggestions and ideas appreciated.

JanAndBill

You need to determine if the grease is surface or it's soaked in. If it's been there awhile and soaked the pads, replace them and turn the drums. Fill the center of the hubs if you plan on adding grease later using Ez-lube.

whp4262

I am repacking bearings for first time since buying my RV. I am cleaning bearings and hubs, packing and applying new grease and seals. What has my concern is that there was an awful lot of grease on the brake pads and all inside where the brake pads are. I cleaned it with brake cleaner (pads also) and allowed to dry. Then I used a heat gun on the pads to try and burn off the residue, then brake cleaner again. This problem was in both sets of brakes on the off door side. Should I replace the pads and maybe turn the drums or do you think they will be okay? Also, lots of post about not filling hub with grease, but what is confusing is the Manuel says when putting grease in zerk look for grease expanding around outside of bearing toward you. The way I see it, that would be filling the hub with grease. Any suggestions. Getting ready to go from South Ga. to Colorado in a few weeks and I am a little concerned about the brakes, if you know what I mean..... All suggestions and ideas appreciated.

If you got the pads pretty clean they should be ok. Keep an eye on them for a little while, if there is enough residue left it will make them grab. It sounds like you had bad seals on the hubs or the grease was pumped through the zerk to fast which can happen with a powered grease gun. The seal should provide more resistance then the bearing but if the grease is pumped to fast it can build up to much pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

If it were mine I would buy new loaded brakes (cheapest way) and replace everything. Then hand pack the bearings, take the grease fittings out of the axle and always repack by hand. Clean the drums real good and use good seals.

dbbls59

If it were mine I would buy new loaded brakes (cheapest way) and replace everything. Then hand pack the bearings, take the grease fittings out of the axle and always repack by hand. Clean the drums real good and use good seals.
This is my recommendation also.

Westwind

I just finished doing mine this spring, I was surprised that everything was in great shape and probably could have gone longer but I'm glad I did it when I did. I put on new seals and washed the bearings and races with mineral spirits and then repacked everything. Sprayed the brakes with brake cleaner and then sanded the drums and brake pads with a very fine sandpaper. I had never done anything like this before and it definitely was an experience but I would definitely do it again myself, the local CW had a price of $365 but I know it was done right and it hit and miss more miss with CW.
Went on a 500 mile trip and everything worked just great.

olcoon

The first time I had the bearings packed on our rig, the service manager jumped on me for pumping too much grease in the hubs, as it had gotten on the brakes. I told him that the last time anyone had seen, or had their hands on the bearings was at the factory when the rig was built. I didn't see it, so I don't actually know how bad it was, but he said they cleaned everything up, and so far there hasn't been another issue...at least they haven't said anything. I can & have packed bearings, but for $35.00 a wheel, I think that my time is worth that. They are a quality shop, with a good reputation, so I feel safe using them.

etcmss

I recently lubed my wheel bearings at the hub zerk fittings with a hand pump gun and noted it took quite a bit to get the grease to ooze out at the outer bearing nut. Mine is the EZ Lube with the central axle zerk that feeds back into the hub to the inner bearing. I too was concerned that I added a lot of grease and did it come out at the back seal and affect my brakes. So then I took off each hub to see if the back seal leaked and none of them did. The inner bearing had lots of grease, the outer bearing did too and when I put the hub back on --- I squirted 4 or 5 pumps in the zerk and got the expected ooze at the outer bearing around the nut.
Yours sounds like leaking inner seals. You didn't mention what the inner axle surface or seal looked like. 4 bad seals seems rare unless old or poorly assembled. Any bearing damage?
Gary

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I would not even consider using the brake pads if they have grease on them unless it got there during disassembly. If it was on the pads prior and you use the trailer at all, then it has permeated the brake pad as soon as the pad warmed up from applying the brakes.

hoefler

I would not even consider using the brake pads if they have grease on them unless it got there during disassembly. If it was on the pads prior and you use the trailer at all, then it has permeated the brake pad as soon as the pad warmed up from applying the brakes.

The pads ruined!! The will leach out grease when they heat up during use.

jhardin

Gary it was just the two seals on off door side, plenty of grease in hub and bearings. Bearings were fine. The grease in the brake drum area and pads seam to be old. Like I said this was the first time I repackaged the bearings since purchasing the RV new. I have shot maybe 2 to 3 squirts in all 4 hubs maybe two different times. Both door side hubs are fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Jon you are suggesting buying the whole brake assembly and not just the pads?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Getting ready to go from South Ga. to Colorado in a few weeks and I am a little concerned about the brakes, if you know what I mean.....

Are you coming out here for the Colorado HOC Fall Rally in Central City in 2 1/2 weeks?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jon you are suggesting buying the whole brake assembly and not just the pads?

Jon is right, for a few dollars more you can replace the entire brake assembly. Then everything is new. Magnet, pads, springs and tensioners. Five bolts and two wires and it's complete. Just replaced all 4 on mine.

image.jpg

Gary521

If you are replacing the brake assembly, use the never adjusting kind. They make a world of difference. Do not use the old shoes if they have grease on them.

jnbhobe

Jon is right, for a few dollars more you can replace the entire brake assembly. Then everything is new. Magnet, pads, springs and tensioners. Five bolts and two wires and it's complete. Just replaced all 4 on mine.

View attachment 39855

Like Jamie said everything is new and assembled, I don't like the self adjusters, I would rather do it myself so I know what I have.

jhardin

Are you coming out here for the Colorado HOC Fall Rally in Central City in 2 1/2 weeks?
JohnD, I will keep that in mind, we will be leaving 9-17 going to Atlanta for Dr. Appointments, then leaving 9-19 to go to Colorado hope to make it a 3 to 4 week getaway. We have a lot of things suggested we see. Just imagine 2 ole rednecks from flatland Ga. Showing up in Colorado, may take 2 or 3 days just to get our jaws of the ground from admiring all the beauty. LOL!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Do not reuse the old brake lining. Get the whole assembly. Make sure you clean the drums of any trace of grease.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
JohnD, I will keep that in mind, we will be leaving 9-17 going to Atlanta for Dr. Appointments, then leaving 9-19 to go to Colorado hope to make it a 3 to 4 week getaway. We have a lot of things suggested we see. Just imagine 2 ole rednecks from flatland Ga. Showing up in Colorado, may take 2 or 3 days just to get our jaws of the ground from admiring all the beauty. LOL!

I'll bet that they could sqweeze you in at the Central City KOA.

Where else in Colorado are you planning on visiting?

We are a fun bunch out here!

jhardin

I'll bet that they could sqweeze you in at the Central City KOA.

Where else in Colorado are you planning on visiting?

We are a fun bunch out here!
JohnD, nothing carved in stone, no schedule and no itinerary! Right now we plan on coming in on I70 do some site seeing not in Denver but around it. Maybe travel down to Colorado Springs a little later? Just mainly find a good home base and travel from there. Do you have any suggestions of plac to visit, roads to avoid and so on?