Ground plug adapter when using generator and EMS

Oregon_Camper

So I installed the Progressive EMS...LOVE it! (I'm kinda nerdy...so more data is fun...watching readout is interesting)

...anyway back to my question.

During our last 25 trip (most of which was dry camping) I went to use our portable Yamaha generator (EF2000) and the EMS reported no ground. So I tried putting in ground rod...connecting wire to ground terminal on generator...No luck. Had to turn EMS off to get power to RV.

So, doing some research, others have created a "ground plug adapter". Want to check with some folks on this forum vs just a google search.

Has anyone done this? Feedback?

Here is an image I found....but again, wanted some feedback from everyone here.

Portable-Generator-Neutral-Ground-Bonding-Edison-Plug-NGBs.jpg

bdb2047

I have done this. On the remote for the Progressive there is a switch that will eliminate the code on the display.Not sure how it works if just eliminating that function or jumping neut and ground.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
I purchased the plug from Progressive that goes in one of the unused standard 110 outlets on the generator. It causes the neutral-ground short that the EMS likes.

LBR

Same with our CY...we dry camp a lot with the little Yamaha 2K suitcase genny...I added a N/G plugged into the other genny outlet and all is good in the world.

I run it on the "demand" mode. My only problem was the residential refrigerator would cause havoc with the Yamaha when the compressor came on, but I found an easy work around for that. I dont believe you have the resi refrig, right OC? You won't have any issues with your setup IMO.

CDN

B and B
I made my own plug for the generator. I also have the switch on the remote for the EMS, this is a full bypass though. I prefer having it on for AC Compressor delay to prevent hatching the AC on a restart after refuelling.

porthole

Retired
Here is an image I found....but again, wanted some feedback from everyone here.

View attachment 54171

Being doing this since Hurricane Irene.

Found out then that our high efficiency water heater in the house would come on and then shut off using the generator. Researching enough I found that for some reason the water heater would not work with an un-bonded neutral ground input supply.

When you are plugged into the pedestal the neutral and ground are bonded through the CG wiring back at the source.

The progressive EMS needs to see this bond to allow power to pass.

When you are in "bypass" mode you doing exactly that, bypassing the EMS internally and getting power.

Using that 15 amp plug with the neutral and ground jumped and plugged into the generator's extra outlet allows the Progressive EMS to see the bond and allow it to work.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done this. On the remote for the Progressive there is a switch that will eliminate the code on the display.Not sure how it works if just eliminating that function or jumping neut and ground.

The bypass switch shuts off the protection features of the EMS and simply allows power to pass through unchecked.

Oregon_Camper

I called Progressive to order the plug Apropdoc purchased. Progressive rep said they don't sell them and I should just turn off the EMS when I use my portable generator.

Seems too easy, but it is their reply.

Last edited:

esscobra

the modern inverters and the Honda and yamahas have circuit protection built in and wouldn't do anything that the ems would save you from - only thing is remembering to un bypass when plugging back into a pedestal

porthole

Retired
Bypass and lose the other protection the EMS offers.
High - low voltage
high - low frequency
reverse polarity
And the data displays.

MCTalley

I just made my own with a replacement plug from Lowe's (example) and a piece of wire. Wired the neutral and ground together, screwed it back together, plugged it into one of the generator outlets (we have a Honda 2000eu) and I was good to go.

porthole

Retired
Bummer....:(

I googled it and Walmart has it for almost $18. I think I can go to Lowes, buy a plug and make my own for under $5.

$18 is for people who can't use a screwdriver :cool:

You could probably even get the 2" piece of scrap wire from floor under the wire rack.

Bogie

the modern inverters and the Honda and yamahas have circuit protection built in and wouldn't do anything that the ems would save you from - only thing is remembering to un bypass when plugging back into a pedestal

What esscobra said X2. The EMS protects you form a power source you have no control over (park pedestal). When on a generator, you have control of your power and know the generators limits (watts).

porthole

Retired
What esscobra said X2. The EMS protects you form a power source you have no control over (park pedestal). When on a generator, you have control of your power and know the generators limits (watts).

Onan RV generators control the voltage and frequency with the rpm setting. The frequency is actually adjusted by setting the rpm.

If there is a problem or surge or whatever that is not enough to trip the breaker the EMS could indeed still protect the coach by cutting out with under or over voltage or frequency.

Or at least if you had a problem with the generator the EMS error codes could help lead you the right direction.
For example, a clogged fuel filter may allow the gen to run fine until a sufficient load slows the engine down, which in turn would lower the frequency below 60 Hz.

If the EMS is installed before the panel and after any other input sources (except inverters) it will help with protecting the trailer.

The Progressive EMS specifically states to not use with an inverter. Don't know why, but I can tell you the EMS will fail using an inverter. Not when you first try it, but after the inverter is disconnected and normal sources are used.

SNOKING

Here is a write up on the ground neutral bonding issue and why it is an issue with inverter style generators.

I made up a plug myself for less than 5 bucks. I was reluctant to use the EMS bypass switch and failing to switch it back on.

I put a loop of 1/8" nylon cord coming out where the power cord normally comes out so that I can tether it to the generator. Chris

http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground-neutral-bonding/

LBR

Here is a write up on the ground neutral bonding issue and why it is an issue with inverter style generators.

I made up a plug myself for less than 5 bucks. I was reluctant to use the EMS bypass switch and failing to switch it back on.

I put a loop of 1/8" nylon cord coming out where the power cord normally comes out so that I can tether it to the generator. Chris

http://noshockzone.org/generator-ground-neutral-bonding/
Great article on the Hows and Whys for bonding....thanx for sharing...

dana22

My husband made his own plug and he says now there is no reading on the EMS Monitor on our 2016 Landmark. Before without the plug the monitor was showing 66 volts. Is that supposed to happen using the plug or are we supposed to get a full showing of the volts put out by the generator with this plug? HELP!