Gunnison Colorado

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We are in Gunnison relaxing with friends for a few weeks, after a busy (and hot) last few months. At 7700 feet, there are very nice 80's daytime temps, 40's nighttime temps. Trace

skyguy

Gunnison is a great college town! The Walmart there used to be the world's smallest WM, but I hear that's no longer true.

Where are you staying?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My brother went to college there. My dad and I went on a hunting trip there with him. Beautiful area.

swiftk77

I went to college there and just last weekend spent 4 nights up on the Taylor River just north of town. I would highly recommend Lottis Creek federal campground. It is an old campground, but they just refurbished it and put in electrical. Certainly was nice to get out of the heat!

Ken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We stayed at Mesa RV Park just west of town in August of 2010 for three nights . . .

Nice place . . . and unbeknownst to me until the second day we were there . . . the owner was one of my customers (I sell photographic equipment and he is a photographer and has a gallery at the park).

While there, we were 4-wheelin' and discovered Taylor Canyon, and went up there two weeks later for five nights at One Mile Campground!

We are hoping to make that trip again next summer.

Here are a couple shots at One Mile:

CampSite-P9030033.jpg SelfPortrait-P9030038.jpg

cgunn

We stayed at the Tall Texan RV Park just north of town back in Sept 2010.
We loved it!! Wish we were there now instead of HOT East Texas!!
You are right, skyguy... That is a SMALL Wal-Mart!!!

scottyb

Love that whole area. I hunted mostly around crested Butte throughout the 90's. Taylor Canyon and Taylor Reservoir are amazing. We also love Black Canyon. A business associate owns 200 acres at the foot of Crested Butte. We have hunted on the back side of the Butte. He is a native and this is his horse barn. I would rather be there now, for sure.

CO%2095-053.jpg

Grey Ghost

My daughter went to college there and loved it. We skied Crested Butte many times ( the North Face) and really enjoyed it. Also went over and stayed for a few days at a campground, think it was Mesa something and it was very nice. Loved the area, so beautiful. Lived in Grand Junction, CO at that time so spent a lot of time hiking, hunting, skiing and camping in the back country of Colorado's western slope. Very beautiful country, might want to try Ridgeway, CO and the area around Silverton, CO. Try Corkscrew pass, Black Bear Pass and Engineer Pass very pretty country but will need a 4x4 to do either of those passes! Black Bear will really get your heart rate up there. So much to see, so little time!! Have fun and enjoy the cool temps and beautiful country!!

TandT

We went to Crested Butte and Lake City over the weekend.
Heading out to Taylor Lake tomorrow to scout out some other campsites. The weather has been very good. A little rain every afternoon.
Bear was wandering in the campground last night. We also saw a bald eagle for the first time in quite a few years. Trace

Last edited:

TandT

We have seen many Heartland rigs here in Gunnison.

Having never spent much time in Colorado, I never realized it is now part of Texas. LOL

About one in five vehicles here has a Texas plate on it. Trace

swiftk77

The campground loop I was in certainly had a much larger ratio than that! Can't blame texans wanting to get out of he heat.

Jim.Allison

It has been that way for many years, its a running joke in the 4 corners region. Over the years Texans have spent enough money up there to buy it. We just got back from Chama NM and are looking forward to another July trip next year to another part of the area. Thank you "Four Corners" for being you......

Having never spent much time in Colorado, I never realized it is now part of Texas. LOL

olcoon

Very beautiful country, might want to try Ridgeway, CO

Ridgeway State Park is great, we stayed there for about a week a couple of years ago. If you liked the first True Grit movie, a lot of it was filmed in & around Ridgeway. Most of the town scenes were filmed in the town of Ridgeway, the hanging scene at the beginning of the movie was filmed in the town park. The scene with John Wayne & Lucky Ned Pepper having the shoot out at the end of the movie was filmed in Deb's Meadow at Chimney Rock, and hiking around the area, I recognized some other areas that were in the film. Also just N. of Ridgeway there is a memorial park for Dennis Weaver (Chester on Gun Smoke). The court house scene was filmed at the court house in Uray. Also in Uray there is a bar/restaurant that at the time the movie was filmed was a bar/pool hall & John Wayne liked to hang out there in-between filming. He & the owner got friendly & when the filming was done, John Wayne gave the owner the hat he wore during the movie. It's supposed to be hanging in there. We didn't go in there as it wasn't open when we were in town. Also the city of Uray operates a hot springs pool in their city swimming pool that was awesome & cheap!

TandT

Roy,
Thanks for the info. Gotta leave for Kanab tomorrow ( DW's got business), but we'll be coming back soon and we will check it out then. Trace

Last edited:

olcoon

Glad I could help, if you are a Geocacher, there are some Geocaches at Deb's Meadow, we found one there, 1 on the way there, & another on up the mountain, I think it was Owl Creek Pass, or something like that. When we were there there was a restaurant in Ridgeway named True Grit Cafe, that had a mural on the wall that was in the movie. Also, I just remembered there was a small shop in Ridgeway where the Oscar awards are made, they said that sometimes the owner is there & is pretty friendly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Heck, ya! We gotta escape the Texas heat. Durango, CO is our favorite place, though this year we spent time in Colorado Springs and Breckenridge. Saw lots of Texans, and lots of HL products.