GVWR clarification on 3010

Jetskier

I ordered a 2012 Cyclone 3010 and have become concerned with the weight ratings that are given on the specs. I assumed when they list the GVWR as 14,000, that that meant you could have 14,000 on the axles pluss the hitch weight of 2,300, giving you a total of 16,300, then leaving you 5,048 ibs (after subtracting the empty weight of the trailer at 11,252) for gear, propane, water, waste tanks, and the 2500 pound limit in the garage - which sounds reasonable. But when I looked up the definiton of GVWR of a trailer, it says it includes hitch weight???

I really hope the cargo capacity is not only 2,748 ibs(14000-11,252)!!! So when I put 2500 ibs of cargo in the garage, which I planned on using every bit of it, I will have 248 pounds left for propane, water, waste, clothes, food, etc.??? PLEASE tell me this is not true!

I hope I didn't outgrow my trailer before I even take delivery.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jetskier, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 14000# is the max. If your rig has not been started yet, you may be able to upgrade the tires and axles through Heartland for increased capacity. Worth looking into I think.

Jetskier

Hopefully you are mistaken Ray, thank you for the reply. I can't believe this is possible. Why even have a garage with this low of a capacity rating? Hopefully someone from the factory can confirm this or explain it better. And what the options might be to upgrade the axles, wheels, tires, etc. to make it usable for the purpose it is marketed. I have a call into the factory, I'll see where that leads.

Jetskier

I was afraid of that. My only other hope is that on one of the posts under the topics of frame area, say that the newer 300 c trailers may in fact have been upgraded to a 16000 GVRW from 14000.... and if that is the case maybe the 3010 has been too, since they list the same wieght rating for the axles???

Thanks for the input

danemayer

Gross VEHICLE Weight Rating is different from Gross AXLE Weight Rating. Nothing unusual about how the specs are stated.

Suggest you talk to your dealer and explain the situation. Maybe they'll help you get the right model.

Jetskier

I understand the rating statements, but it just does not make any common sense. How can a trailer that is claimed by heartland to be able to carry 2500 pounds in the garage only legally leave you with a few hundred pounds for everything else? I guess what I'm saying is I thought they made a mistake in their ratings, because it would just be stupid if a trailer meant to do the things it is designed for can't legally do it. I can only imagine that everyone you see going down the road with these things is overloaded, it would be hard not to be.
For me, I usually fill my water tank on my last fuel stop on my way to a destination... there's almost 900 ibs, add on the added options I ordered the 2nd awning, double electric beds, bedroom tv, genarator (if that wasn't included in there calc), the second aux fuel cell, a full gen tank and aux tank, propane, a fridge fool of food some clothes, etc, etc. that wouldn't leave much more capacity other than maybe putting a few bicycles in the garage. I had planned on using every bit of the 2500 ib advertised garage capacity, but it looks like it is nothing more than a spare bedroom.

Now after writing this, I just got a return call from the service manager at my dealer telling me the trailer is designed for 14,000 + 20% (tongue wieght). If this is correct, they should update the GVWR to reflect this. I hope this is correct, as it would make me feel much better! Hopefully I will hear back from the factory and be able to confirm this. Either way, If I get pulled over to go through the scales, I will be in trouble with a sticker labeled incorrectly... I don't think I'll be able to explain that the manufacturer says I can exceed the GVWR by 20%.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I believe the service guy is wrong, or just telling you what you want to hear (also called lying.) If the sticker on the trailer says the GVWR is 14,000, then that's all it is, not 14,000 + 20%.

Urban350

Correct me if I am wrong, if you drove over a scale the only trailer weight that would show up would be what is on the axles so if you had 14,000 on the axels and lets says 2000 on the rear axle of the truck they will not care as long as you are not over on any axle and the gvwr would only be on the axles because the rest is on the truck gvwr. ???

danemayer

If the GVRW is 14,000, and 2,000 of that rests on the hitch, the design engineers undoubtedly selected axles, wheels, and tires that are designed to collectively support 12,000 pounds, not 14,000. I'd be concerned about excessive wear on the axles, and blowouts caused by overloading.

Urban350

If I remember right the 3010 will have 2 7,000lbs axles with load range E tires which on its own adds up to 14,000lbs. My 300C has 2 7,000lbs axles and load range E tires with a sticker that says gvwr 16,000lbs. I know I am probably at my limit when loaded but atleast I do not think I am over.

Jetskier

I believe the service guy is wrong, or just telling you what you want to hear (also called lying.) If the sticker on the trailer says the GVWR is 14,000, then that's all it is, not 14,000 + 20%.

I agree, it could be the case, it seemed like are discussion was going in circles. But he insisted it was designed to be loaded for dry camping (water, gas, propane, gear, etc) plus hold 2500 pounds in the garage (which makes logical sense, just doesn't explain the rating). Hope to get an answer from the factory.

Jetskier

If I remember right the 3010 will have 2 7,000lbs axles with load range E tires which on its own adds up to 14,000lbs. My 300C has 2 7,000lbs axles and load range E tires with a sticker that says gvwr 16,000lbs. I know I am probably at my limit when loaded but atleast I do not think I am over.

It does have 2 7000ibs axles with E tires... that's why I assumed they just made a mistake with the GVWR, or at least whish they did.

CrazyCooter

I suggest you pick up the phone tomorrow and call Heartland. Mike or AJ will likely clarify that the GVW specs on the site are incorrect. I went through similar concerns while my 300C was on order.

Turns out it was shipped with a 16K GVW sticker on it......and it weighs every bit of it when fully loaded!

Jetskier

I suggest you pick up the phone tomorrow and call Heartland. Mike or AJ will likely clarify that the GVW specs on the site are incorrect. I went through similar concerns while my 300C was on order.

Turns out it was shipped with a 16K GVW sticker on it......and it weighs every bit of it when fully loaded!

Today I got a hold of Mike in service at heartland, who originally told me everything he has list it as 14,000, then I asked if he could check on the line to confirm that, and he returned my call after speaking to an engineer who told him they have increased the wieght to 15,500. Then I asked if I could still have the option of upgrading my tires and wheels and was passed to Ryan in sales. Unfortunately, my unit is already offline and was told it is to late to make that change. I figured while I had him on the phone, I would ask the same question... and he said hang on a minute, and he checked with someone else and came back telling me, yes, they have increased the GVWR to 16,500. I guess I'll find out when I pick it up.
Thank you for all the replies... I'll report back when I pick it up in a couple of weeks.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I wanted to get some feed back from the folks following this thread. If my rig is rated at 14,000 and It has twin 7K axles - if I upgrade the axles to 9K ( yielding 18K ) - please correct me if I an wrong - that does not change the legal load rating for my trailer - it is still rated for 14,000. Although over loading it will not cause an axle failure.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I wanted to get some feed back from the folks following this thread. If my rig is rated at 14,000 and It has twin 7K axles - if I upgrade the axles to 9K ( yielding 18K ) - please correct me if I an wrong - that does not change the legal load rating for my trailer - it is still rated for 14,000. Although over loading it will not cause an axle failure.
Your logic makes sense but I don't know if the frame would be enough to handle it. The heavier capacity rigs may have a 12" frame. I'm not sure of the frame size on the 3010. Also to be considered would be the spring mounting brackets. They probably would need upgrading as well. Just thinking out loud, so to speak.:confused:

CrazyCooter

It is my opinion that the 10" frame on both my 300C and the 3010 are maxed out at the rated GVWR and nothing would be gained by installing heavier axle except for maybe better brakes depending on what you spec out.

I feel the best money that could be spent for safety and convenience would be first upgrading to 17.5" wheels and tires. This will give huge margin in the rating of tires as those Power Kings that they come shipped with are begging to blow in hot weather, higher speeds, and rated GAW.

I think what we are after here is that your sticker only reflects the weight that is carried upon the vehicle axles. You truck would be supporting the pin weight therefore making the overall #'s look smaller. Think statistics......You can make anything look any way you want by just representing the #'s a different way.......

17.5's are my next upgrade before my Wyoming trip in the summer. I doubt the Power Kings will have enough tread left to make the trip anyway.

sJv

Just to add another piece of info - 300C's bound for CA have 14K GVWR stickers on them. CrazyCooter bought his from a midwest dealer and has a 16K sticker. Mine was built after his, so I"m sure they didn't lower the GVWR back down. Another 300C I saw at a CA dealer had the same 14K GVWR sticker. I'm sure Heartland is doing this to avoid the owner having to get his non-commercial class C license to haul the thing.

My guess is 3010's bound for CA are the same.

-steve

mmomega

AnyTimer
Legally whatever is posted on the sticker is true. It's ridiculous but the law goes by what rolls off the factory floor. Example: the axle in my truck is rated 11,000 lbs by the manufacturer of the axle (Dana) but Ford rates it at 9,000lbs and that's what you have to go by..technically. So I could put 10,000lbs on the axle and still have an extra 1,000 lbs leeway but I'm told I can only have 9,000 on it so I'd be overloaded by 1,000lbs in the eyes of the law, if it ever came down to that.

9 out of 10 times frames are rated to hold way more than is listed, I believe they undervalue the numbers because a lot of people will push to get every lb plus more out of a trailer.

I just thought it was interesting that the trailer was only rated to 14,000 GVWR when my landmark has 2 7k axles and is rated at 16,250. I'm guessing because of tires. They don't put G-rated tires on Cyclones do they?