GVWR clarification on 3010

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My cyclone has E rated tires on it but has a gvwr of 16,000lbs and 2 7,000lbs axles.
This is interesting because the Heartland website has it rated at 14K. maybe the site is incorrect and the OP will have the 16K rating he's hoping for.

Brandon.Prewitt

I dont know what it costs, but can't you take a modified truck or trailer to DOT and have it rerated? I've heard of it, just don't know where.

Jetskier

The dealer got my trailer from heartland this past friday. They sent me a picture of the plate, because the curiosity was killing me. It came through with a rating of 15,500ibs. The dry wieght was up a little at 11,322, I assume because of the new raised roof line in the back and added second awning of the new units. My unit also is a model year 2013 according to the paperwork! good for my resale, but crazy how they can get away with calling it a 2013. Sorta like my Tk, it's a 2011 but I've had for two years already.

Well I pick it up in Elkhart, Indiana on Friday and my first stop on my way back to PA is in Ohio to get 17.5 wheels and the G114's. Hopefully I don't have many of those common issues from the factory and it is ready to go when I pick it up, but then I'm sure everything will work at the dealer, and I'll probably find thos issues a few hundred miles away on my first night in it on the way home.

Vtxkid

Congrats on your new addition jetskier! Do a good predelivery check of all systems and make sure you get all your manuals and parts kit (sewer hose, water hose/restricter, etc). Give us an up date when you have time...

porthole

Retired
The 2500 pound garage rating came about before there was a 2 axle-5th wheel Cyclone.

I have seen a variety of Cyclones that were GVW'd with the the 3 axle total of 18K plus 2.5K for the pin box rating, making many Cyclones 20,500.

I still think most of the 3010's were mislabeled with 14K stickers. Our trailer rolled off the line weighing 12,400. 1600 pounds of total cargo capacity. First time full of water more then cuts that in half.

Right or wrong I still "interpolate" the weight rating, 14 + 2.5 for 16.5K GVW. Otherwise once we added water and stores I would have a big empty garage.

And I still think it is mislabeled.

Jetskier;231191I assume because of the new raised roof line in the back and added second awning of the new units. My unit also is a model year 2013 according to the paperwork! good for my resale said:
New raised roof? New 2nd awning available? eeerrggghhhhhhh.

We picked up our 2010 trailer in July 2009.

Getting your tires at Trailer Tire in Wheel in Edon? That is where I got my 17.5's, great service from Scott, the owner.

Jetskier

Here is a pic the dealer sent me. It has the same roof line as the bigger trailers with the rear spoiler which gave them enough room to be able to add the 2nd awning. I believe the grey rear door is new too.

Yeah, Scott seams like he is really good to deal with. He even offered to stay late, if I was running late to get it done... that's good customer service!

Attachments

• Cyclone_001.jpg
    Cyclone_001.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 73

porthole

Retired
Here is a pic the dealer sent me. It has the same roof line as the bigger trailers with the rear spoiler which gave them enough room to be able to add the 2nd awning. I believe the grey rear door is new too.

Yeah, Scott seams like he is really good to deal with. He even offered to stay late, if I was running late to get it done... that's good customer service!

So with the new roof line, did they put the upper bunk back in? Looks like you have the 8 foot door. That is another plus.

Scott waited for, I didn't get there until after 8PM. tell I said hello.

Jetskier

So with the new roof line, did they put the upper bunk back in? Looks like you have the 8 foot door. That is another plus.

Scott waited for, I didn't get there until after 8PM. tell I said hello.

That's a good question about the bunk! I have no idea. Yeah I assume it must be the 8' door.

Vtxkid

8' rear door would be a nice addition...
The second awning is a great idea, especially since we use the rear door as our primary entrance. Keeps tracking any dirt in the main area down to a minimum...

Jetskier

A little off topic... but can anyone make a recomendation on a cover for the 3010? I'm debating on the idea of getting one for the off seasons. I want to be able to access the garage when I need it without a major hassle. I've seen some designed for toyhaulers, I just didn't know how easy or hard it would be to get the ramp down. And do you think they work or do more damage than harm?

Oh and the second awning is what sold it to me. I had tried to get a price to add one at the factory, but the dealer had told me they couldn't do it and suggested I get an aftermarket one...then they found out it would be available and I put my deposit down. Beats carrying another ez-up to keep the skis in the shade like I'm used to with my old TH.

Thanks....

vgstef

looking at Holman web site stock number 27508 do have the same high door , very nice but if you look at the inside picture they change the door access for the washer, it will be nice if they left the 4 door desigh when not installing the washer it was a good storage place. . You can conpare picture from the new and older design old stock number 26590.

porthole

Retired
A little off topic... but can anyone make a recomendation on a cover for the 3010? I'm debating on the idea of getting one for the off seasons. I want to be able to access the garage when I need it without a major hassle. I've seen some designed for toyhaulers, I just didn't know how easy or hard it would be to get the ramp down. And do you think they work or do more damage than harm?

Covers are available that are toy hauler specific. 2 side doors and a ramp door.
I have one and never use the ramp feature. Too hard. You have zippers that need to go up to the top and then you have to either pull the flap up on the roof (ladder is also covered) or roll it up. Either way it is a pain, even more so when trying to close the door.

For the sides I use a "tool" to push the zipper all the way up when I need access and I have strings tied to the zipper pulls so I can bring them back down.

You will find many people use them and many people don't. They can cause rubbing issues if not secured properly (wind).

Personally, I cover mine in November and take it off in March or April - clean trailer.

Jetskier

looking at Holman web site stock number 27508 do have the same high door , very nice but if you look at the inside picture they change the door access for the washer, it will be nice if they left the 4 door desigh when not installing the washer it was a good storage place. . You can conpare picture from the new and older design old stock number 26590.

I agree, I prefer the 4 door design. I wonder how this space is used... I'm sure it's not dead space? It does explain how they now have the option for a 32" bedroom tv... I was wondering how that would fit looking at the older design.

Jetskier

Covers are available that are toy hauler specific. 2 side doors and a ramp door.
I have one and never use the ramp feature. Too hard. You have zippers that need to go up to the top and then you have to either pull the flap up on the roof (ladder is also covered) or roll it up. Either way it is a pain, even more so when trying to close the door.

For the sides I use a "tool" to push the zipper all the way up when I need access and I have strings tied to the zipper pulls so I can bring them back down.

You will find many people use them and many people don't. They can cause rubbing issues if not secured properly (wind).

Personally, I cover mine in November and take it off in March or April - clean trailer.

Thanks porthole... as it is almost spring, at least it feels like it here on the east coast, I'll have some time to think about it. I'll probably wait until fall before making a purchase.

porthole

Retired
I agree, I prefer the 4 door design. I wonder how this space is used... I'm sure it's not dead space? It does explain how they now have the option for a 32" bedroom tv... I was wondering how that would fit looking at the older design.

Looks - well not very inviting.

Looking at the new Cyclone it is obvious the engineers are not listening to the customers.

Vac outlet in the basement - in the middle-yet!
Side vents for the garage. Still have the right side on the upper front - where the door hits it. Although not on the model pictured because it now has an arm to keep the door from opening all the way and hitting the awning.

15,500 GVW - there is a plus, would like to get that decal for my trailer.
2013-3010-GVW.JPG

The cabinets around the TV are a big improvement, now all they need to do is offer the fireplace option in the space below the TV.
Compared to ours, the new cabinets look 10 times better.

Huey

For me, the real question is what did Heartland do to the 2012 Cyclone 3010 to increase the GVWR to 15,500? At Quartzsite, none of the dealers had any answers.

I notice in this tread that some are putting the 17.5" wheels so they can get some decent tires.

I went to the Goodyear G614RST LT235/85/R16 LR G (3750 Max) after having two of the Towmax tires fail within a year. The only down side is the price....$323 each, after shopping around.

porthole

Retired
For me, the real question is what did Heartland do to the 2012 Cyclone 3010 to increase the GVWR to 15,500? At Quartzsite, none of the dealers had any answers.

I wouldn't mind knowing too.

I notice in this tread that some are putting the 17.5" wheels so they can get some decent tires.

I went to the Goodyear G614RST LT235/85/R16 LR G (3750 Max) after having two of the Towmax tires fail within a year. The only down side is the price....$323 each, after shopping around.

I did the 17.5's. Because I previously had wheels that were only suitable for 80 PSI I needed new wheels anyway.
New 17.5 wheels and tires were less expensive then the 614's with new wheels, about $50 a wheel less.