Hacking Heart Land

ParkIt

If you've ever come across the website "Hacking Ikea" you'd get the title of this...it's essentially taking what you have and modifying it to what you want. After studying the pictures of the Gateway and clearing the house out of "stuff we are selling and Ikea stuff I want to hack", I'm going to check tomorrow to see if the Ikea CD towers we have in storage can be hacked to fit on the sides of the bedroom fascia. That would solve an issue I've had rolling around in my head about adding more shelf space for smaller stuff in the bedroom. We also have an entertainment center with a drawer that can be hacked to fit in the front closet and another wall mount open shelf that would work for shoes without taking up huge space.
Since we swapped out the couch before the first time we took it out there is one side that has room for a shelf or something...again another hacking Ikea book case would be ideal there with the end as counter top would probably fit and I'd already measured the Ikea corner units which will fit just above the couch and below the upper cabinets.

Since we have 3 indoor kitties and no space between the ceiling and cabinets, I started to wonder if I could build something just above the slide out trim (sorry Heart Land, we love the existing woodwork caps but the cats need high places to perch...then pounce) and again, cutting the length of a bookcase in half and mounting it above the living/dining area would be ideal for the kitties. Everything would have to be stripped then stained to match but that's part of the fun of hacking Ikea. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to mount an invisible book shelf - it's a book that looks like nothing is holding it to the wall and you can stack more books on it, I can't find a picture of it right now.

Then it struck me about the back splash in behind the stove top: we have one glass shelf that is frosted on the edges and my glass cutting board of the two Chef's fit *exactly* in the center. Now to find a way to affix that to the wall...I have an idea but will need to find the right kind of 'clips' in the hardware department that would work.

There are all sorts of things we do to our units so hacking Ikea products is ideal - it's inexpensive at any garage sale, can be cut to fit any direction including knobs, handles and everything else Ikea makes. It's also lighter weight, even the solid wood products than what you would buy for your house so you aren't adding a huge amount of weight to tow...just more "stuff" to put into the new spots.

Pictures when we get stuff out of storage this weekend and go to work on it, it won't be stained but might give folks some ideas when they come across a garage sale full of Ikea furniture ;)

priorguy

The title threw me off at first Parkit and I had to read on. One of the largest IKEA stores (until then next one is built) recently opened in a Ottawa near where I work. They have a scratch and dent area where you can bits a pieces or entires pieces of furniture. They even have a free bin where you can gran miscellaneous hardware or bits yiu might be missing. The smaller store never had this. I've seen nearly 4X8 sheets fully finished for $5. Try a store near you or along your travels.

Best of luck, and happy hacking.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
"Pictures when we get stuff out of storage this weekend and go to work on it, it won't be stained but might give folks some ideas when they come across a garage sale full of Ikea furniture"

How about a update Parkit. Any pics yet??