Handloading / Reloading

DW_Gray

Hmm... Tom, I'm process of heading north up to NY before going to Nashville. I'd like to visit those ranges. I've got one rifle with a scope set up for 1000 yard shots I'd like to try. There are plenty of good caliber's for 1000 yards. My first recommendation is the .308 Winchester. Savage makes a good target rifle and it won't cost you an arm and leg. My dad has one and it's a nail driver for sure. One of my friends in the Air Force still holds the long shot record for one shot kill in Afghanistan at little over one mile.

RollingHome

Re: Research The Serial Number.........

Bet ur friend used the Barrett 50 cal. I'd luv to get one, but that's just wishful thinkin,,, What do ya think about a 308 ? I had a 1903 30-06 but it's not so good I found out... It will sit in a good spot over the fireplace, oiled n retired LIKE US.

RollingHome

Dave, I think I am going to get a 308. I am looking at the Remmington 700 SPS Varmit in 308 Winc. This model has a 26" barrel and 12" spiral. It's not SS and is heavy (9.5 Pds if I remember correctly). It has a cheap stock which most replace. I checked the PA gun owners forum and found nothing negative. In a different forum a member said it jams or misfires or something, I found no one else saying this so... Do you or your buddies know anyhing good bad or ? about this model ? From what I'm reading it looks like a reliable good gun that needs little tweeking. It sells for around
$ 600.00 new. By the way, my favorite gun which I shoot often is a Remmington 597 - 22LR. I use a 30 round mag to reduce reload time, it's just a fun, cheap gun to kill paper targets with. Tom

DW_Gray

Tom, the Remington 700 is a fine rifle. I've included a link to a review below. The truth is, no mater what factory rifle you purchase, if you want it to shoot better and get groups of one half inch or less @100 yards, it will require additional work by a qualified gunsmith. As a minimum, you'll want an improved stock, a trigger job and a good scope. Especially a good scope. I have seen too often someone paying for a great rifle and then put some cheap $100.00 scope on it and they wonder why they couldn't put the bullet on paper. And if you want the ultimate accuracy, you need to reload your own rounds or get someone to help you with that. If you can't reload, then you plan on buying several different types of factory ammo. You'll have to find what your rifle will like. Again, this one of those issues where someone says "I've been buying that ammo for years, it should work just fine in my new rifle." Well he may get lucky but I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, GunBroker.com is good place to buy guns.

Review: http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

RollingHome

Dave, I hear ya... but there has to be a trade off in optics. I have seen scopes costing over $ 3,000 + I mean comon isn't there a scope that is just mediocre or OK at $ 500.00 ? I'm sure with your experience and opinion you could suggest something that will let me hit at say 300 or 400 yards and be happy. I would appreciate your knowledge. Also Dave if you could also suggest a spotting scope I could get I would also accept your opinion. The one I have now seems to fall off at 200 meters. I also am not sure if my age and "getting old" eyesight is a factor. Gettin old is a female dog... and I really am not dealing with it well. But, I still feel young and I want to do stuff I still want to do. Thks for ur help. Tom

DW_Gray

Tom, you don't need to spend $3,000 for a good scope. A good Leupold or Nikon is very good. For hunting a variable power 3X to 10X is fine. For target shooting you may consider variable power up to 15X for short 400 yards but some will use 24X out to 600 yards. The scope I have on my .300 Win Mag is made by Shepherd Enterprises, Inc. I got mine for $600 but they are now at $700 and up.

As for a spotting scope, don't buy those cheap ones from local sporting goods store. A spotting scope at the target range would be in the $200 range and up. For hunting on the other hand, the sky is the limit or the very most you can afford.

Here are a few recommended links:

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

http://www.opticsplanet.com/

http://www.midwayusa.com/

Growing old is just a chronological fact. Feeling forever young is the way to live. My father is 69 and my father-in-law is 85 and both of them can still out walk many young men. Don't let your age stop you from getting out there and doing what you want to do.

RollingHome

Dave, so I am PC, here's what you stated : Growing old is just a chronological fact. Feeling forever young is the way to live. My father is 69 and my father-in-law is 85 and both of them can still out walk many young men. Don't let your age stop you from getting out there and doing what you want to do.

If that's true then in being PC - I AM CHRONOLOGICALLY CHALLENEGED, I'm not old, I'm chronologically challenged :)... Gotta love it !

I took a quick gander at the hot links ya sent... Gonna have to do it in earnest later or tomorrow, thanks. I'm still trying to master MOA in it's exact science... wish I was smarter... Oh well again, thanks again. Tom

DW_Gray

Tom, there is an exact science to MOA but let's keep to the simplest terms. Basically, 1 MOA at 100 yards equals 1 inch. So when a rifle manufacture states their rifle shoots 1 MOA out of the box, they are stating that all shots should group within a 1 inch bulls-eye at 100 yards, within a 2 inch bulls-eye at 200 yards, within a 3 inch bulls-eye at 300 yards and so on.

Okay, you're chronologically challenged. LOL :)

RollingHome

Thanks, Dave for keeping it simple for me (the KISS priciple). I want to enjoy shooting NOT turn it into a "job". I was reading another forum I'm on and I'm reluctant to join in because I'm still a neophyte and these guys are speaking Greek... but I'm gaining experience slowly... I thought you'd enjoy that "Chronologically Challenged" PC description for being old and decrepent... aka "An Ole Fart" :) You'll have to share it with your Dad and others !

Happy Campers

One of my friends in the Air Force still holds the long shot record for one shot kill in Afghanistan at little over one mile.

I thought that record belonged to a british sharpshooter by the name of Craig Harrison with his 1.5 + mile shot.I could be wrong as somebody was telling me about it but all snipers are good at what they do.

DW_Gray

I thought that record belonged to a british sharpshooter by the name of Craig Harrison with his 1.5 + mile shot.I could be wrong as somebody was telling me about it but all snipers are good at what they do.

That may be true. I know this is an Air Force member record. Sorry, I guess I didn't clarify that.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)

the longest sniper kill shot to date is 8121.0 feet or 1.54 miles...........easy to do with the .50 BMG. Carlos Hathcock was doing his amazing shots with a modified .30. Remember a shot is a shot but the amazing thing is what you do it with. A 1500 yard kill with a .30 is more amazing than a 1.5 mile shot with a .50 BMG and an observer who gives you winds. Carlos had no one but himself! I find him far more amazing than the new modern sniper!

DW_Gray

the longest sniper kill shot to date is 8121.0 feet or 1.54 miles...........easy to do with the .50 BMG. Carlos Hathcock was doing his amazing shots with a modified .30. Remember a shot is a shot but the amazing thing is what you do it with. A 1500 yard kill with a .30 is more amazing than a 1.5 mile shot with a .50 BMG and an observer who gives you winds. Carlos had no one but himself! I find him far more amazing than the new modern sniper!

You got the distance correct but wrong weapon. The British sniper used the Accuracy International L115A3 rifle. His rifle is chambered in .338 Lupua Magnum. This rifle also comes in, my favorite and also used by the US Army, the .300 Winchester Magnum.

http://www.accuracyinternational.com/aw_series.php

News Article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_International_AWM