Happy Veteran's Day 2014

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Happy Veterans Day and thank you, to all those who have served, or are serving our country. Trace

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Thanks to all our past, present and future Veterans!

Today was an annual event for us.
Local Harley shop sponsored and fund raiser motorcycle "Run For the Wall", to the New Jersey Vietnam Veterans memorial.
Today's highlight was the addition of 5 of our heroes to the a special section of the memorial to honor Viet Vets that have passed away due to complications of the conflict.

http://www.njvvmf.org/

Attachments

• NJ_Vietnam_Memorial copy.jpg
    NJ_Vietnam_Memorial copy.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 16
  • E8D75B4C-2069-465A-9264-7372E934D103.JPG
    E8D75B4C-2069-465A-9264-7372E934D103.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 15

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maybe it's just me, but this just makes me wonder.
There are five hundred people on this forum right now and only three have said thanks to our vets all day? Trace

Last edited:

Mrsfish

You are not wrong - but I reached out personally to the vets I know and thanked them in person. To all of those vets I have not had the pleasure of meeting, thank you very much for your service and the sacrifice of your families.

olcoon

I can't explain today, but I know in the past there have been numerous comments thanking us Vets for our service. Myself, THANK YOU to all who have served, are serving...especially those who never made it home. I spent the day taking advantage of the free meals that were offered by HyVee (a local grocery store, with a buffet) who gave us breakfast. Applebee's, who gave us lunch, and always has a touching empty table all set up for the POW'S/MIA'S, and those who didn't make it home, then for supper On The Border gave us supper. Also, I took advantage of Price Chopper (another local grocery store), who every year gives us Vets a $.25 a gallon off on fuel at Quick Trip. I salute these places of business for what they do for Active Duty Personnel, and all of us Veterans. I also was a vietnam era Vet and remember too well how things were in the 60's & 70's and really appreciate how we are treated today. Every time I wear my hat from the ship I was on I alway​ have someone thank me for my service and or shake my hand. May GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATED STATES OF AMERICA!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To be honest, I don't need words of platitude to acknowledge that I served. Or a free entree at some restaurant. I served. I know it, people that know me know it, and the people I served with know it. And now I've got the pension for it. The big welcome home didn't happen for those of us coming home from long tours in Europe, either. And being**** in 1971 didn't help with getting a good job by showing your DD214.

Time to get over the bitterness, there's a whole new generation of disabled veterans that hopefully will benefit from the now realized national shortcomings of the past.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
With a purple heart and bronze star it still cost 10 cents for a cup of coffee. The vets coming home today they know how to treat them. They told Vietnam vet there was nothing wrong with us. Other than agent orange PTSD and other things all Vietnam vets should receive100 percent disability. I HAVE MINE.

Mizmary

The hubby is active duty - and we appreciate the acknowledgements. But, it always makes us a bit uncomfortable when people thank us. We don't really know what to say. It's just what he does. It's his job.

I spend many Friday nights in Downtown San Diego feeding the homeless vets that no one is sending their thanks to. So, that too helps me to feel guilty. I don't need thanks, or a free meal - but there are plenty of vets who need help getting off of the streets.

That being said, I am living first-hand the life that goes along with being a military spouse - and I truly honor and respect those who have chosen to make sacrifices in order to serve our country - and their families - especially the kids who didn't have a choice, but were born into it. :) Less than 1000 days until we can start collecting that pension - and until we need to find at least part time jobs. :cool:

wdk450

To be honest, I don't need words of platitude to acknowledge that I served. Or a free entree at some restaurant. I served. I know it, people that know me know it, and the people I served with know it. And now I've got the pension for it. The big welcome home didn't happen for those of us coming home from long tours in Europe, either. And being**** in 1971 didn't help with getting a good job by showing your DD214.

Time to get over the bitterness, there's a whole new generation of disabled veterans that hopefully will benefit from the now realized national shortcomings of the past.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John:
I know we don't NEED it, but it is nice to be remembered, and nice to be thanked.
George Bush Jr. just wrote a book on George Bush Sr. When asked what the former President considered his greatest honor in his lifetime, he replied "being able to serve my country in the military" (WWII Navy fighter pilot, shot down and recovered by a Navy submarine).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John:
I know we don't NEED it, but it is nice to be remembered, and nice to be thanked.
George Bush Jr. just wrote a book on George Bush Sr. When asked what the former President considered his greatest honor in his lifetime, he replied "being able to serve my country in the military" (WWII Navy fighter pilot, shot down and recovered by a Navy submarine).

Like most things, our individual needs may vary.