Has anyone put a 50 amp meter in their unit?

greco424

I have a 2015 Elkridge with 50 amp service. I want to see what my amp usage is, especially when having to use 30 amp service in state parks. Will one of the clamp-on meters work? Has anyone put one in that can help me or does Heartland offer them on the more expensive units that I can buy? John

Jim.Allison

I have an EMS that has a digital interface that tells you the amp draw on each leg and any diagnosis of, for lack of a better term, bad electricity. It was easy to install and requires no special knowledge to interpret the display.

happykraut

I don't see any reason why a clamp-on wouldn't work, but you might have trouble to find a spot where you can easily get to the two legs. A Progressive 50A EMS is the only way to go. No rig should ever be without one. You can purchase a hard wired unit or one that hangs off the power pedestal. As you probably already know, you can't clamp it around the power cord.

Bones

I have an EMS that has a digital interface that tells you the amp draw on each leg and any diagnosis of, for lack of a better term, bad electricity. It was easy to install and requires no special knowledge to interpret the display.

Jim what is the make of your EMS?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Progressive EMS hardwired unit has a remote digital display that shows current draw and voltage on both legs along with any error codes that occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
A clamp on meter needs to have access to the individual conductors. There should be no wiring readily available that you can access easily to use a clamp on meter.

AAdams

X2 on the Progressive EMS-HW50C unit. I have the optional second display so I can see a display when I hook up. I looked at it this way... cost more to replace one A/C unit than getting the protection from the EMS and NOT having the headache of destroying all your electronics.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
X3 on the Progressive EMS-HW50C. It has saved my butt (and I'm sure a couple of appliances) a couple of times.

greco424

I should of mentioned that I have a Surge Guard #34750 50 amp portable unit with an LCD screen on the outside already. I'm trying to get a meter or something for the inside so I can observe the amperage draw inside, especially on 30 amp service sites without going outside all the time. I've seen, online, were someone has made up AMP meter kits and wondering if anyone has put one in or does Heartland put them on the top of the line units and I could buy that? Should I presume that all the AC wiring is behind the circuit breaker box you see as you walk in and I could splice into that?

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
X3 on the Progressive EMS-HW50C. It has saved my butt (and I'm sure a couple of appliances) a couple of times.

Definitely the way to go. Dual displays make it more convenient and hard-wired in means never forgetting and plugging in anyway without knowing what the power situation is.

Easy to look at/ use to manage power consumption. A must have if you use 30 amp power - we used a EMS-HW30C when we had a 30 amp North Trail and had to live off using only 30 amp power.

Our New North trail has 50 amp power and now use the EMS-HW50C to manage and protect.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You will still need to find a section of both input lines that you can put the ammeter sensor on. With the Progressive hardwired unit, there are small sensors inside the case that each leg is inserted through, similar to the clamp on a handheld ammeter. Do those display units quoted come with some kind of sensor to put on the lines?

avvidclif

You will still need to find a section of both input lines that you can put the ammeter sensor on. With the Progressive hardwired unit, there are small sensors inside the case that each leg is inserted through, similar to the clamp on a handheld ammeter. Do those display units quoted come with some kind of sensor to put on the lines?

Yes, look them up.

justafordguy

Yep they come with an induction coil to run the wire through. Should be able to hook them up easily behind the breaker panel and just run the wires to wherever you want to mount the displays.