Heads up...loose ac gaskets 2016 Bighorn mfg 2/2016

NHCelt

Well, now both of my ac units have had rain water come in past the gaskets, and both had ac units that were barely bolted to the roof. Maybe worth checking the bolts on your ac units before you have to do it in a thunderstorm...

According to dometic, the proper torque is 40 in lbs.

Celt

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, now both of my ac units have had rain water come in past the gaskets, and both had ac units that were barely bolted to the roof. Maybe worth checking the bolts on your ac units before you have to do it in a thunderstorm...

According to dometic, the proper torque is 40 in lbs.

Celt

How do you do this?

NHCelt

Really pretty easy. Remove the shroud from the top of the ac unit by removing the screws on all 4 sides... the top will lift right off. There are 4 bolts covered with dicor that bolt the unit to the backing plate under the roof plywood. These bolts control the pressure on the gasket. Both mine were loose enough to all ow water to leak through.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mine were loose also. Was able to tighten by taking the inside cover down from the ceiling. Very easy.

For those with WhisperQuiet AC system, there is no inside access to the AC unit itself, that's why I was asking.

avvidclif

Sat my main AC decided to start dribbling. I shut it down and turned on another one. Got home today and disassembled the inside. There is one small spot where the water was coming in from the outside between the AC gasket and the roof material. The bolts went up from the bottom and were tight, albeit crooked. I have not gotten on top yet, that's next. What's the best idea? Caulk around the gasket real good under the shroud? Pick up the AC and caulk under the gasket and reinstall? Picking up the AC (at 75+ lbs) is not high on my list.

Any thoughts or ideas from those that have been there before I go up top.?

mlpeloquin

I would get new gasket material and install it correctly. Loosen it from the inside and use a pice of plywood to distribut the weight, lift, remove, and install the new gasket one side at a time. Should not have to calk at all. The mounting hardware should not have to be tightened down all the way. Just past snug and the gasket should bulge out from center just a little bit. On the roof push side to side and the AC unit should not move. Had to do this on my old class C.

jnbhobe

The gasket should be compressed about 60%.I have used the same gasket for 8 yrs and I remove my AC every winter.

avvidclif

I wound up tilting it over(once I got it broke loose). It wasn't bad. The problem was obvious, a part of the roof material was folded back and within 1/8th" of extending past the gasket. It left some grooves in the gasket. I folded it over correctly and had enough material to staple it inside the opening. There were some staples around the opening that were standing up. I drove them down flush. Each staple got a touch of Dicor as did the groove. I realize if I have to remove it again it's going to be tough but I didn't want any leaks damaging the roof. I also covered the ends of the bolts correctly. While there I sealed up the inlet and outlets correctly with metallic duct tape to isolate them. Since I have 3 of those darlings on the roof I will probably order a replacement gasket for a running spare.

Note to self; I need a taller ladder. While up there I Eternabonded a hole in the side of the roof that had a temporary (GRIN) duct tape patch on it.

Donszarko

Wasn't sure why I am getting a small water leak in my 2013 Big Country that is dribbling down from the top Center of the rear window. All vents and roof seams are properly caulked. Seems as though the only time I get an inside leak is during a heavy driving rain that hits crossways?

I was wondering about a loose AC seal because it seems that during a heavy rain a water leak forms in the same spot each time. Water seems to collect and then runs down the inside finding an outlet in the top Center of the rear window seam. Not a lot of water but a half glass each time.

Does not leak from a gentle rain or rain shower.

Should I try tightening the AC unit? Can this be done from the outside by removing the shroud? Or is this best done from the inside by dropping the AC vent lid? How does the inside vent lid pop off?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You could remove the inside shroud and observe if there is any leakage during a rain.
The AC gasket is tightened from the inside. The gasket is a black spongy rubber that should be compressed to about 3/4".
Have you checked the caulk around the clearance lights on the rear of your coach?
Have you checked or re-caulked the rear window?

Peace
Dave

Donszarko

You could remove the inside shroud and observe if there is any leakage during a rain.
The AC gasket is tightened from the inside. The gasket is a black spongy rubber that should be compressed to about 3/4".
Have you checked the caulk around the clearance lights on the rear of your coach?
Have you checked or re-caulked the rear window?

Peace
Dave

Yes, I actually siliconed around the rear clearance lights as well as the top and midway down the rear window. I am wondering if the ac gasket is leaking, why water would not drip through the main ac vent? Is it possible that an ac gasket leak is the source for water running along the inside roof and out at rear window seam?