Hearing some scratching in the ceiling

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
DW and I think we heard something scurrying in the ceiling today. Worried we have a mouse up there. Been babysitting for the last three weeks and not in the rig, so don't know for how long.

It sounds like it's outside of the A/C ducts and along the light path in our ceiling of our 2013 BH 3670. I've read about sealing things up with steel wool, that's not the issue. I was in the front compartment a couple of weeks ago and left it open overnight. If there was something to get in, that would be a likely cause.

What I'm wondering is how could I get any type of trap/poison in that space between the ceiling panel and the roof?

I can pull the pancake light fixtures out a bit, but then it starts feeling like I'm about to rip out the wires and don't want to do that.

Any help?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try baiting traps with peanut butter and then close up the rig tight. Go back and check the traps every couple of days so any victims don't stink up your rig.

We keep hearing bombs falling on our roof. Acorns from tall oaks.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I agree with Road Junkie about birds on the roof. We've had them from time to time. If you can find an artificial owl that you can put on the roof, you will likely eliminate your problem.

GWRam

DW and I think we heard something scurrying in the ceiling today. Worried we have a mouse up there. Been babysitting for the last three weeks and not in the rig, so don't know for how long.

It sounds like it's outside of the A/C ducts and along the light path in our ceiling of our 2013 BH 3670. I've read about sealing things up with steel wool, that's not the issue. I was in the front compartment a couple of weeks ago and left it open overnight. If there was something to get in, that would be a likely cause.

What I'm wondering is how could I get any type of trap/poison in that space between the ceiling panel and the roof?

I can pull the pancake light fixtures out a bit, but then it starts feeling like I'm about to rip out the wires and don't want to do that.

Any help?

Are you in the camper now? Do you have a flag pole on your camper?
We started hearing scurrying sounds which appeared to be coming from the ceiling in our unit.
I Was also wondering how to to get the little creatures out without destroying the ceiling. Couldn't find any evidence of how they would have gotten into the ceiling. Going in and out of the camper I noticed an unusual sound outside also. Come to find out, for us anyway, our ladder mounted flag pole has two compression bushings with swivels that hold the flag tight to the pole and keep the flag from wraping around the pole. The lower bushing had come loose and the swivel was clicking against the pole. The sound radiating through the fiberglass pole through the ladder and into the camper structure sounded like critters in the ceiling, even moving from spot to spot. Tightened the bushing and critter sounds gone.

Hope it can be that simple for you. Otherwise good luck with bait and traps.

olcoon

One thing I'll add about the owl decoy, move it about every day. Different location, and facing a different direction. I've put one on our deck to keep squirrels off it, and after a day or so, they get used to it, and ignore it. I found that moving it helped, but eventually after a week or so, they'd ignore it for good.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I agree with something on the outside of the roof...these laminated roofs really carry sound....

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We had a mouse problem...if you do have any of the little critters they will roam all over. So putting several traps around the inside of the rig & basement area should do the trick...no need to put any traps in ceiling. I would look for "evidence" if you're not sure: mouse droppings...they don't care where they poop.
I wouldn't use poison...they could very easily go back into the wall, floor, ceiling and die there:(
I removed ALL possible food products (didn't worry about canned food), placed the traps with a small amount of peanut butter along the walls with the peanut butter end facing the wall (it does matter to a certain extent) and waited a couple days. Caught one, replaced that trap and waited another couple days, caught another one...repeat...didn't catch any more but left the traps in place for about a week or two just to make sure.
Not sure where they got into the rig...but now I put a few traps out when it's not in use for more than a month.
Good luck!

MCTalley

There was a thread just like this a few months ago. Turned out being a branch on a tree gently scratching the roof when the wind blew. Are you parked under any low-hanging branches?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Just yesterday I sprayed foam insulation around the landing gear where it extends out of the basement as I was worried that mice could get in through the openings there.

There was about an inch opening all the way around each leg.

simsfmly

Thanks to all of you for responding. It's not a branch. Visually confirmed there are no birds on the roof. No flagpole.

Not worried about more getting in. I know how it got in and I've taken steps to make sure that doesn't happen again. We full time in the RV, so there isn't going to be any lock the thing up and see you in a couple of days. It's not in the living area or the basement. It's in the ceiling.

If we could stick with the premise that the little bastard is in the ceiling, along the lights outside the A/C duct work. I can hear him working on the styrofoam.

I would love to have suggestions of how to trap and/or kill the spud, then remove him. He's going to die eventually, and I would like to be able to control that event.

Can somebody tell me how to remove those pancake lights safely? If I could remove one of those fixtures, I could easily put a trap up there and get it back out. That would be a helpful comment.

GWRam

Sorry I don't know how to get the trap up in the ceiling. But when you do, especially if you place it in a duct secure or have a wire attached to the trap. Even a little mouse with 2-3 legs for traction can pull a trap a long ways before expiring .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Bob,

If by pancake lights, you're talking about the round 4" diameter light fixtures, they probably pull straight down. There are springs that hold them in place, but as you pull down, the springs will pivot and allow you to pull the fixture down. Careful not to pull on the wires as you're pulling them out.

pegmikef

and if they are the LED lights with the flat lens, the lens just unscrews, but I don't know how to get the light board itself down . . maybe the same way Dan said.

simsfmly

Bob,

If by pancake lights, you're talking about the round 4" diameter light fixtures, they probably pull straight down. There are springs that hold them in place, but as you pull down, the springs will pivot and allow you to pull the fixture down. Careful not to pull on the wires as you're pulling them out.

I am talking about the 4" diameter light fixtures. They do pull straight down, but only about 2-3" and then there's a lot of resistance which I'm consider are the wires.

I did think about about the speakers up front, which just unscrew. My new question is, there is styrofoam around the speakers in the ceiling in the BR (that has a hole for the wires). If I carve that styrofoam out a bit to be able to fit a trap in there (and tie a string on it in case it "travels"), is that a clear "highway" for Mickey since I've been hearing him in the living room?

simsfmly

Here's an update. Pulled the light far enough down to see the springs, got them out and here's what I found behind the light in addition to a lot of styrofoam snow.

I don't know if that's insulation or hair.

IMG_2453 (1).jpg

I do know that as I was getting ready to take another picture, either the birds that might have been walking on my roof, the tree that might have been scratching my sides, my flag pole or A FREAKING MOUSE popped his head right out of that hole and stared right at me. At which time, I dropped my camera, wife and I both let out a yell, slammed that light back in the hole and called a pest control place. They'll be out in the morning.

Way above my pay grade. Will let you know how a pro takes care of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2453.jpg
    IMG_2453.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 82