SOLVED: Something's in the ceiling!

Louba

For the past week there has been some minor scratching, squeaking sounds from above the bed. Starting last night it became constant loud squeaking, squealing, scratching noises that appear the be coming from inside the ceiling of the bedroom slide. Sounds like a mouse or a bird but I can't for the life of me figure out how anything could get in there. I removed one of the ceiling lights and stuck a screwdriver in and it appears there is about a 2 inch gap between the interior panel and the roof. Anyone have any idea how I could get access to this area to investigate other than cutting a hole in the inside panel? I had to sleep with earplugs last night because it went on ALL night long.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Something's in the ceiling!

Do you have slide toppers?
Could be something living between the slide roof and the topper.
Have you looked on the top of the slide for any sign of invasion?

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

How about in the a/c or heating ducts. I've heard others talk about mice in both of these areas.

Rodbuster

You probably thought of this, but I'll mention it anyways.
Could it be a branch that rubs against the side or the roof of the RV with a light breeze?

Dick

Brazos

The crank up antenna is over our bedroom and sometime I get a minor movement that causes noises.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

While anything is possible, I would think that mice getting into the ceiling panel of the bedroom slide is pretty remote. Short of burrowing up the side walls to get there, they'd have to chew an access hole on top. If you have mice, you should be seeing mouse droppings inside the rig. Try lifting the bed platform up and look underneath. Remove the kitchen drawers and look along the bottom, as well.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Something's in the ceiling!

While anything is possible, I would think that mice getting into the ceiling panel of the bedroom slide is pretty remote. Short of burrowing up the side walls to get there, they'd have to chew an access hole on top. If you have mice, you should be seeing mouse droppings inside the rig. Try lifting the bed platform up and look underneath. Remove the kitchen drawers and look along the bottom, as well.

Your profile indicates you have a Bighorn. The ceiling, other than the AC ductwork, is a "solid" lamination of paneling, foam, OSB, and rubber roof so IF you hear something moving around, it has to be running around thru the AC ducts I would think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gaffer

I once had yellow jackets inside the wall of a house. They made a scratching noise trying to get through the drywall.

wdk450

You know, my Bighorn has a mushroom shaped vent in the roof for the "attic". I don't know exactly what space it ventillates.

If you REALLY think you have rodents, an intensive trapping program along with sealing as many possible entry points with steel wool worked for me. I have heard that bacon works good as a bait, and the mice liked my fresh potatoes when they were in the rig (more water?).

BTW, the mice (3), got in my rig near Yellowstone by climbing up the water hose and into the UDC. I have since made UDC access plugs from garden kneeler pad foam, with a hose-sized center cutout. This also helps keep out ants.

JohnDar

Your profile indicates you have a Bighorn. The ceiling, other than the AC ductwork, is a "solid" lamination of paneling, foam, OSB, and rubber roof so IF you hear something moving around, it has to be running around thru the AC ducts I would think.

I'm not the one with the mice in the ceiling! I plugged all of the frame openings I could find and spray it with MouseFree each spring. Keeps the little buggers out. That, and two sets of "Jaws 'n' Claws" in residence when we're at the rig seems to keep them out.

travelin2

JohnDar, sorry, wasn't saying you did. Should have edited your post/my quote. I only wanted to make a point of your first sentence to the OP who has a BH. Laminated walls and ceiling kind of discount the probability of rodents.

JohnDar

JohnDar, sorry, wasn't saying you did. Should have edited your post/my quote. I only wanted to make a point of your first sentence to the OP who has a BH. Laminated walls and ceiling kind of discount the probability of rodents.

It's cool!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

Travelin2,
FWIW, there are some small channels in the solid foam ceiling that are cut out for wire runs. At least that's what I found, when I removed ceiling lights and speakers in the bedroom.

At one time DW said she heard rodents scratching in our solid ceiling (I don't hear as well). Later we found a few mice in another part of the rig. I believe it is possible for mice to get into these very small areas, following wire runs from the walls.. A mouse can go through a hole the size of a nickel. Trace

Last edited:

travelin2

Travelin2,
FWIW, there are some small channels in the solid foam ceiling that are cut out for wire runs.

At one time DW said she heard rodents scratching in our solid ceiling (I don't hear as well). Later we found a few mice in another part of the rig. I believe it is possible for mice to get into these very small areas, following wire runs from the walls.. A mouse can go through a hole the size of a nickel. Trace

Ok. Haven't been to the HL factory yet to see how these rigs are put together. I'd have thought the wiring was integrated in the lamination process. Just saying. Yeah I know all about mice and their larger relatives. I was raised on a farm, worked in the animal feed industry, and have a cabin in the woods of PA!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

These are our mouse traps for our trailer . . .

SierraInSlippers-P2260312.jpg SpicyOnStairs-PA084698.jpg CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg

Needless to say . . . we ain't got no meeces! :D

donr827

John, those cats look like there looking for a mouse for a Meet & Greet.:rolleyes:
Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

John, those cats look like there looking for a mouse for a Meet & Greet.:rolleyes:
Don

We have seven of them . . . all Mainecoone's!

We generally take three of them with us, although only four of them have gone on camping trips with us . . . the other three are homebodies that we figure wouldn't like to go.

Funny thing is that they really aren't good mousers . . .

They'll let us know if there is one around, but they are not really interested in the catch part of the mousing.

Mainecoones are very large cats, so their presence is usually enough to keep the mice away!

rxbristol

BTW, the mice (3), got in my rig near Yellowstone by climbing up the water hose and into the UDC. I have since made UDC access plugs from garden kneeler pad foam, with a hose-sized center cutout. This also helps keep out ants.

Great idea.

jbeletti

From what I recall on plant tours, where wiring is placed in the ceiling, we drill a hole on the framing and use a small section of 1/2" PEX and use it as a conduit through the framing.

My guess is on a small branch outside rubbing - but I doubt the explanation will be that easy for the OP.

JohnDar

We have seven of them . . . all Mainecoone's!

We generally take three of them with us, although only four of them have gone on camping trips with us . . . the other three are homebodies that we figure wouldn't like to go.

Funny thing is that they really aren't good mousers . . .

They'll let us know if there is one around, but they are not really interested in the catch part of the mousing.

Mainecoones are very large cats, so their presence is usually enough to keep the mice away!

Beautiful felines! The middle photo looks like the twin of the one we had to put down 12 years ago (cancer). One of our current furballs is a 12 yr. old pure black "Coon." Maine Coons are a unique breed.