Heartland awnings

Skipper5

During our travels, we've seen many Hearland products, but haven't seen any with the electric awnings. They all seem to be the manual type.

Does Heartland offer these as an option?

Thanks,

Skip

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
During our travels, we've seen many Hearland products, but haven't seen any with the electric awnings. They all seem to be the manual type.

Does Heartland offer these as an option?

Thanks,

Skip

Absolutely. Almost all new Landmarks, Big Horns, and Big Country's have them. Suspect many of the newer Elk Ridges, Greystones, Sundances, North Trails, etc have them now also.

Geodude

My 2012 Greystone has the electric awning. So far at home it seems good, but time will tell.

pegmikef

My TT a 2011 North Trail 26LRSS came with one and I like it except it has a fixed pitch (but it does automatically dip one side when it rains).

ultrafarmer

I have an electric one too. I hate mine. The least amount of wind and it wants to take off like a bird.

Riverman

Our Cyclone has 2 awnings - we hate them both!
Much prefer the stability of the manual unit we had on the last RV

ccupton

We really love ours. It is soooo much easier than the manuel ones and time saving. We will be adding a vibration senser so that it retracts if the wind starts blowing to hard. It is worth the expence.

Cimriver

We have an electric awning on our 2011 Elkridge. I like others feel a little more comfortable with the manual awnings. I put it in if it is at all windy.

On our awning we can lower one side for rain drainage. Someone commented earlier that they missed this feature.

Riverman

On our awning we can lower one side for rain drainage. Someone commented earlier that they missed this feature.

Is this something that all electric awnings are capable of?
I was unaware of this feature - how do you accomplish this?

Cimriver

Riverman said:
Is this something that all electric awnings are capable of?
I was unaware of this feature - how do you accomplish this?

I don't know if all electric awning can do this, but mine can.

I am not sure I can explain how it works. Way easier to show someone rather than explain how is works. There is a knob you can loosen on either side. Then you kind of pull down on the bracket, then lock in place with the knob. I would have never known how to do this, but I mentioned it to the salesman and he showed me how to do it.

floridarandy

Riverman said:

I don't know if all electric awning can do this, but mine can.

I am not sure I can explain how it works. Way easier to show someone rather than explain how is works. There is a knob you can loosen on either side. Then you kind of pull down on the bracket, then lock in place with the knob. I would have never known how to do this, but I mentioned it to the salesman and he showed me how to do it.

There's not likely to be a right or wrong answer to this question. Like so much new technology, solutions to many of lifes problems seem to be "electric" and "automatic". Amusing in a sense that most automatic/electrical solutions have a manual override to make sure there's a failsafe solution. Would I trade the starter in my car for a crank...no. Would I trade the landing gear in my 5ver for a hand jack...no.

But at least for now I need the exercise of hand cranking the rear stablizers and setting the awning by hand. I like the confidence of knowing that my manual awning with deflappers and spring loaded anchors, left tilted slightly, can ride out a pretty stiff wind and rain if I'm asleep or away and forget to retract. As expensive as stuff is to have repaired I'm glad there are a few manual things left to do. Kinda makes me feel more like camping...but when your last rig was a pop-up everythings more luxurious, even if its still manual.

edrauch

We have an electric on our Sundance and don't usually leave, with it out, for fear of wind. Has anyone given any thought as to what will happen if the electic motor quits. Mine does not have a hand crank so nobody has told me what the outcome will be if caught at a campground with the awing extended and motor quits.

pegmikef

There is another thread devoted to this. I'll see if I can find it.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22362-Electric-Awnings