Heartland Construction Quality?

We just lost our 38 foot Keystone Everest on December 19, when a Mack dump truck pulled across our lane of travel as we were passing the T-intersection where it was stopped at a stop sign. Luckily, we got out with just a few minor cuts and bruises... Anyway, we are looking at replacing it with a 3755FL, and wanted some input from you folks about construction quality in the Heartland products. It seemed like every time we ran a slide out in the Keystone, we would find loose screws on the floor... After one stretch of particularly bumpy road, we opened the RV to find that all of the pretty wood trim around each slide had fallen off, because it was all just mounted with a brad nailer. And we had a number of other issues as well... Anyway, could you folks be kind enough to let me know about things to look out for, or can expect to happen, if I purchase this unit? Thanks. Dave Leslie
183M9557.jpg
183M9575.jpg

MTPockets

That accident had to be stressful! So glad you are all OK. We toured four different factories and ordered our Big Horn after seeing and comparing construction on our final four. We're full time now three years and never had to take it back for service. A couple minor warranty claims that had nothing to do with Heartland; and both were repaired by mobile tech. Failed awning motor and microwave oven repair.. An occasional loose screw will be found on all RV's, but periodic checks are wise and part of the RV life. You'll be happy with a Big Horn.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Glad to hear yall are okay. Sorry you lost your unit. Heartland builds a great coach. The issues you had with finding screws is normal (some brands more than others) and I think most all of the brands use brad nailers to secure trim. Seems like them coming loose is a result of poor workmanship. We have had some trim come loose on our previous Landmark (and 07) but not on our current 2013 Landmark. Keep in mind that when you go bouncing down the road many things can happen I think your choice is a good one.

RoadJunkie

Wow!

There will be opinions across the board on the quality of Heartland products, I suggest you search "quality control" within this forum. If you set reasonable expectations (I know it's subjective) then you are likely to be satisfied, even pleased, with Heartland. But now you have an opportunity to review and investigate quality processes of a lot of different manufactures. I'll be interested in your results.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We purchased our Bighorn in Aug. Of 2010. We have put some where in 25,000 mile range. Nothing negative to report so far.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave,
Wow, glad you guys were not seriously injured.

Our Bighorn is our fourth RV and without a doubt the best we have owned.We purchased it in December 2010.
We started out looking at a Montana and switched to Heartland Bighorn, as we felt it was superior in many ways. We have logged over 35K+ miles with it, including three years of full-timing, with no significant quality problems. One minor water leak, due to a poorly installed pex fitting is the only thing that comes to mind.

Heartland also has a great community and customer support, second to none. Good luck with your decision. If you have any questions at all, please post here on the forum, or contact me. Trace

OEFVET

Glad you are ok after that accident. I did tons of research last year. I started with online research. Then when I got my top 6 manufacturers and floor plans I took my spreadsheet to the annual RV show and actually touched each unit. I will say I was surprised at the quality of some manufacturers products. I had a center island nearly fall over while I was leaned against it. My point to all of this is to start your research online and then I strongly recommend walking through units and test out all the features that are most important to you. Take copious notes and update your spreadsheet. When it came time to decide on a unit and floor plan I was actually surprised with the one we picked. It was not even on my radar. Good luck!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
What everyone has said. We've had our Bighorn for 1 1/2 years now. It's the first RV we've owned but both of us grew up in camping and RVing families and knew we wanted to start our retirement adventures in a fifth wheel. We looked at hundreds of models and finally narrowed it down to 3 brands but settled on Heartland, specifically the Bighorn, although the Big Country was a close second. We've spent 150+ nights in ours, towed it across country and up and down the east coast a couple times. Other than a few things jiggling loose, a couple of minor issues (taken care of by HL and the dealer) we have been very happy with our BH. For me the foremost reason for selecting a HL product over the other finalists during our selection process was construction whereas the DW approved the interior layout, storage, etc. Compared notes with many owners of SOB and other HL owners. Everyone has had "something" that needs attention but HL owners are really boast about their rigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
We are on our second Heartland product in 5 yrs. We came from an Eagle Jayco product to HL. When looking to upgrade from Jayco we had run our list to 3 brands, Jayco Designer, Keyston Montana and Heartland Big Horn. Ultimately we went with HL do to their construction and product support. I can not say each of our units were issue free but all was handled quite satisfactory by HL. As mentioned above the minor issues you had and reported by others are across the board issues no one company makes a product that can with stand road vibration and travel without issues arising however HL makes the issues much more palatable to deal with. Review our forum and make your own decision but if you want mine I would by another unit from HL. Please take all opinions with a grain of salt and look at all products out there at shows and talk to actual owners for the best info. Expect negative and positive responses.

TXTiger

My Cyclone is my first and only RV so far and I am very pleased. I have traveled cross country twice and now have lived full time one season in it with only minor problems. You will find some negative posts on this forum as well as on other forums about all brands. It seams that if someone has something to complain about they make a post but positive posts are not as much. I agree that you should go to look at as many brands as possible. I went to several RV shows and dealer lots as possible befor I made my purchase. I went with Heartland because of their reputation for customer service. Be sure to research the selling dealer as well and don't worry about shopping around for a non local dealer who has a better price. If you need service you will most likely be on the road away from home using the rig at the time anyway. Good luck.

That accident had to be stressful!
The crash was stressful, but we were so happy to be alive that it didn't seem that bad. Dealing with the insurance companies, on the other hand, has been very stressful. Thanks to everyone who responded so far...I am spending a lot of time driving from dealer to dealer, looking at various floorplans and amenities. I think Heartland is the only manufacturer who has solved the storage problem in Front Living units...it is still my favorite choice. Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
So sorry for your accident! We've owned our HL for going on 5 years. It's a step down from the BigHorn/big Country, but we've been using it as a "home" for about 5 months, and I'm very pleased at how it's holding up, for a coach not designed for full-timing. That says a lot about Heartland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

In my opinion there isn't much difference from one brand to another if they are in the same price range. The person that's building Heartlands this year might have been building some other brand last year..the appliances and major components are all the same from one brand to another. Some may give you more for your dollar, some less...If the type of construction and the price is the same there won't be much difference...JMHO...Don

Paul & Nan

Our 09 BH3670RL, delivered in Aug 08 has done very well for us. Over 16,000 miles Dec 09-Aug 10 from IL to RioGrande Valley in TX up thru all of Alaska on a caravan and back to Il. Then all the other treks over all the nasty interstates. Our biggest issue was a frame problem that Heartland took care of in Nov 13, well out of warranty. We have had some other small stuff like water leaks, etc., but nothing overly major that would not have happened otherwise. We have spent as much as 9 months at a time in our rig and love it.

Westwind

We have a 2012 Heartland Bighorn that we snowbird in for 4 months in Florida, we tow it from RI to Florida and back to RI. It's our first FW and I did do the touch and look for a couple of years as I had a luxury which you don't. We have had some minor problems and what I like is that the company does look at this forum and we have seen changes per our experiences and suggestions. To me that is a good sign. Good luck in your search.
But most of all I was glad to read the two of you walked away from that accident, that definitely was an RV'ers nightmare.

Last edited:

mobilcastle

Good product, excellent people on this forum willing to help you immediately if you have a problem. We fulltime in ours and are very happy. Good luck with your search.

davebennington

Sorry about your accident and glad that your injuries were minor. We had a 2006 Heartland Landmark/Golden Gate for 8 years, it had about 95,000 miles on it when we traded. We now have a 2015 Landmark/Ashland, there are differences, the one that really is noticeable is Heartland has done an excellent job of cleaning up the wiring and plumbing behind the panels. The old unit while very good and reliable behind the panels was a nightmare you could not tell where the wires and plumbing were going or where they came from, the new coach everything is neat and organized easy to see where everything belongs. Is it perfect probably not, but vast improvements have been made in many areas. We are on the maiden trip with it and so far very minor problems.

dave

wdk450

IF you come away with the opinion that Heartland construction is on par with all of the others, Heartland still wins with their allowing you to get warranty service done by ANY vendor you choose (with phone call in advance of the work being done to Heartland Service), and their stepping up on certain major problems (like pinbox frame flex) and providing warranty repairs on these problems well beyond the nominal 1 year warranty period. My unit was 5 years old when I got this free warranty repair!

BTW, there is a general sentiment that opting to get an independent (no RV sales) repairer do your work, results in faster, better repairs than the dealer service department alternative.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IF you come away with the opinion that Heartland construction is on par with all of the others, Heartland still wins with their allowing you to get warranty service done by ANY vendor you choose (with phone call in advance of the work being done to Heartland Service), and their stepping up on certain major problems (like pinbox frame flex) and providing warranty repairs on these problems well beyond the nominal 1 year warranty period. My unit was 5 years old when I got this free warranty repair!

BTW, there is a general sentiment that opting to get an independent (no RV sales) repairer do your work, results in faster, better repairs than the dealer service department alternative.

IMHO an independent mobile repair is the only way to go if possible. This individual makes their living repairing RVs and not selling them. They depend on providing a quality service to get referrals as well. And they come to you rather than having to drag you unit somewhere and leave it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
[/B]

IMHO an independent mobile repair is the only way to go if possible. This individual makes their living repairing RVs and not selling them. They depend on providing a quality service to get referrals as well. And they come to you rather than having to drag you unit somewhere and leave it.

x2. Of course the mobile part is not so important for folks who aren't full-time. And in parts of the country with actual seasons, it can sometimes be easier to work on a rig inside a nice heated shop. But, independent servicer - you bet!