Heartland Construction Quality?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I always arranged a time to have my trailer at the dealership during a time when I wasn't going to need it for awhile, giving them plenty of time to work on it.

And when I arrived each time to pick it up when they told me it would be ready, they were still working on it as I pulled into the parking lot.

I recently found an RV repair (no sales) place a couple of miles from my house...

Next time I drive by I may stop in and say Hi!

They might just be my new go to when I need service

Wharton

Happy that you weren't injured in the accident. You will find a lot of complaints about Heartland on the website, generally people who are happy don't post. We picked up ours in March, 2010. Have never been back to the dealer, never a problem. We are on the road 4 months each year and tow it across the country each year with many wanderings. Park for about 6 weeks and then wander back across the country. We looked at Montana and Heartland. Liked the Heartland floorplan much better, even today, 5 years later, love the plan. Lots of storage, not much "wasted" or dead storage and we never fill up the cabinets with stuff and I haul along some quilting stuff and photography stuff.

Heartland Customer Service is great also. We have called, stopped etc. and always had a good response.

bpe

I'm curious about the accident. What brand hitch did you have? Did it come loose during the accident? We went with an Hitch Crafter Air Hitch. It uses the Brinkley head. Hitch itself is made of 3/8" formed steel.

B

BouseBill

Glad you came out of the accident without serious injury. Being a Heartland sponsored web page I think you will get a skewed response from most folks. That is of course my humble opinion. We have been full-timing on and off, mostly on since 2000.
We took possession of our 2015 Big Horn 3075 three months ago. Here is a partial list of things that were/are wrong with it.
1. Level UP system pops. Better after I installed the anti-stiction fluid, that I paid for.
2.Wall covering on stove "backsplash" wrinkled and crumpled. Warranty item that will be repaired on our next visit.
3. Residential Fridge water supply line cracked, leaked water out the kitchen slide, repaired under warranty. Still leaking, turned water off so we can't use the water/ice maker, although winter is here now so we'd have had to "winterize" it anyway. Second leak on schedule to be repaired on our next trip to dealership. Fridge doors would not stay closed during transit because the door latches/locks were not installed correctly.
4. turning wand for kitchen window missing.
5. Bedroom door will not latch because the striker plate and bolt will not match up.
6. Fresh water tank will not show full, goes from 3/4s to overflowing
7. Dining Table top cracked, replaced by Heartland, installed by me.
8. Sewer smell when A/C was running, repaired under warranty buy the use of maybe a quarter tube of caulking on the vent tube where it comes out the roof.
9 Shower door handle was missing the screw so it came off in your hand.
10. Bottom of shower door track, drain holes too high in track, will not drain. New track on order.
11. Leather Recliner had hole in back, replaced by Heartland., Heartland did not replace just the back they replaced the entire recliner. The recliner was serviceable and with Heartlands approval it was donated to the VFW....WAY TO GO HEARTLAND.
12. Dining Room table chairs turned into a major FUBAR'd project when the wife ordered two more chairs. Because she wanted regular chairs not the fold up things. Needless to say Heartland also donated two RV dining room chairs to the VFW .
13. A couple of design ideas that really could have used a little more thought We had the dealership crew move the washer/dryer combo from the old Big Country over to the new Big Horn.....had to remove the bedroom window because the Splendide would not fit between the bathroom wall and the bedroom closet on the passenger side wall. I hope the Splendide never needs removal for maintenance LOL
14, Can't open the entry door all the way if the hall window is open, the door will bang on the window.
15. Fridge door will bang on the pantry door if your not careful.
16. The center island needs to be rebuilt because it was damaged somehow before we took possession, front panels were stapled back to together...not good quality control. Heartland/Dealership is repairing on next visit.

Our first 5th wheel was an ALFA IDEAL, were the problems/faults the same or less than Heartland? I'd have to say the quality was better with ALFA, customer service was the same because it was the same dealership and they care about their customers.

I will give Heartland and our dealership an A+ in customer service. They have both bent over backwards to repair and replace everything the DW was not happy with. Our Dealership because this is the third 5th wheel we have purchased from them over the years and Heartland....well because of web pages like this, where customers can hold their feet to the fire to improve.

Folks don't take this post as bashing Heartland. Just an honest report of everything that was wrong with this rig

I'm curious about the accident. What brand hitch did you have? Did it come loose during the accident? We went with an Hitch Crafter Air Hitch. It uses the Brinkley head. Hitch itself is made of 3/8" formed steel.

We had a TrailerSaver BD3 hitch made by Hensley..it is a Holland Binkley head unit which rides up and down on two side pins and is supported by two air bags. Google "Trailer Saver BD3" if you want to see the construction. Anyway, when the dump truck hit us, it tipped the trailer over which broke the welds on either side of the hitch head. The steel of the left side of the hitch body was torqued out some but the body of the hitch stayed attached to the rails...I'll see if I can find some pictures... Anyway, I am glad the head broke out, because the pickup didn't go over when the trailer went. I'm going to install the same kind in whatever truck I get... Dave

Attachments

• 183M9637.jpg
    183M9637.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 183M9740.jpg
    183M9740.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

stevenssr

In my opinion there isn't much difference from one brand to another if they are in the same price range. The person that's building Heartlands this year might have been building some other brand last year..the appliances and major components are all the same from one brand to another. Some may give you more for your dollar, some less...If the type of construction and the price is the same there won't be much difference...JMHO...Don

I agree. In most cases, a decision comes down to appearance and design. Which layout is most appealing and functional for your needs? All the companies integrate commercially available products, so a lot of the warranty issues involve the same supplier products across most every brand of trailer. So, when selecting a company, look closely at the quality details they do control (like how they put all these supplier products together). The number and quality of fasteners, look for gaps at all the wall seams, caulking, sufficient electrical controls and outlets where you need them (might even want to flip a breaker and see if all the outlets are on a single breaker), look at how electrical, water, and gas lines are routed (especially in slide movement areas), etc. Even within a brand quality can differ between specific models. Personally, I think Heartland does a little better than industry average, but there are lots of good products out there. RV shows are always a good opportunity to compare quality between brands. Good luck!!!