Heartland Owners "Cruise"?

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Re: Heartland Rally "Cruise"?

Sorry Cheryl and please understand it's not that I don't love you but...... Thanks for the offer "sweetie"! Maybe next time!

dieselsweetheart

Laughing Debbie....well it was just a thought! I sent you an email about some thoughts on months....

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

When you are thinking about months keep in mind hurricane season (June-November)

Tom of Ypsi

Another thing to consider is parking for the rv. Not all people have houses, fulltimers like us have the ability to travel wherever the cruise will originate. Miami is one port that comes to mnd where they let rv's park.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired

We are getting some very good input into things to consider while planning this event. Please keep your thoughts coming as they are very helpful!

hillsonwheels

As they say, timing is everything. So depending on the dates chosen for the cruise, we're very interested in making it. If you party animals keep this up I'm gonna have to hire a social secretary! :cool:

Dick

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Another thing to consider is parking for the rv. Not all people have houses, fulltimers like us have the ability to travel wherever the cruise will originate. Miami is one port that comes to mnd where they let rv's park.

Very good point Tom. Charleston would be a nightmare for parking an RV. Not sure they even have that option but I do know that Jacksonville has parking there for large vehicles. There were several trailers parked there the last time we left out of there. One even had the solar panels raised to keep the batteries up.

dieselsweetheart

Let me throw a question out for you full-timers...do the cruise ports let you park your rig there for free cause you are on the cruise? Or a small charge?

To keep you up-to-date, Deb B and I have brought in Mrs Truknutt (Nona) in on the planning. She is the cruise queen. (We are going on a cruisetour to AK next Aug with her and the Truknutt). We are going to work with our travel lady out of Hagerstown as I believe she is on the ball and is willing to get us the best bang for our bucks...and she will explore ALL possibilities and all suggestions we have for her.

Jim G I do believe you mentioned hurricanes. While ships are pretty good about avoiding them, you are correct that rough water is not what we want. However, I did suggest we do this trip off-season (that's post-winterizing for us seasonals) so Deb, Nona and I were tossing around some ideas for WHEN. Some of us in the school system have to watch because we can't get time off during the school semesters unless school is officially on a break. So that limited us for WHEN. But, we did toss out one date of late November. After T-giving....perhaps thinking a 4 day cruise to leave on Thursday and return Monday? That would be November 29-December 3.

Keep in mind that was just a date we were tossing back and forth that would work for us 3 planners. Deb and I are both in the school system....and Nona just hears the word "cruise" and she is in....so this date worked for her too. This would be for 2012 folks. And for those of you thinking "that's so far away"...really, it's not. Dates for 2012 are already in the system! Plus, having 2 years to think about this allows for you to adjust schedules, save $$$, etc....

So for you serious, seriously interested folks...does that date seem "do-able?"

We are loving the discussion and so happy to see that we do have owners who would like to share this time and have some fun!!

Jim & Harriet

hi Cheryl - did I read cruisetour to Alaska? we have been looking at doing that for quite a
while. what company are you using?

back to the off-season 2012 cruise. four days total - when driving from a distance it might
be nice to cruise for a couple more days. the first and last are mostly packing and paper-work. would anyone be interested in including Thanksgiving?

we will not be bringing our RV but we still would need to have information about parking.

dieselsweetheart

Maybe for those of you not traveling by RV (Harriet), maybe a night before at a nearby hotel and then you could leave your car there... we'll have to decide first...WHEN, WHERE, how many days. I understand what you are saying Harriet about the days...but I'm not sure I can go longer than that... my girlfriend just went on a Fri-Mon cruise to the Bahamas and though it was short, she had a great time. That was her first cruise too..

dieselsweetheart

Searching cruises and I realize we go when the ships go, not when we want to go. Looks like we would be looking for mid-November cause I am seeing dates (not for 2012 yet) such as Nov 12 and the 13th for sailings. Maybe if we can get folks to agree on a month first! And it looks like a booking for a group to get special deals is 8 rooms booked. I will tell you that as coordinator I would not take the free room but spread the savings over to everyone's room....

Of those of you interested, are you highly opposed to a mid-November sailing? And also I am finding that if we sail out of Port Canaveral we could go for 4 nights...any port further north would need 5 nights.

Would we want to sail north (warm) or north (brrrrrrr....)?

jmgratz

Don't forget those who work will be off for Veteran's Day in November. Might be a good time for yall.

dieselsweetheart

Sam Bandstra PM'd me about a 4 day cruise from a northern port (north of Fla...when I say "northern" I am meaning north of Florida)..... but it's on Carnival. I haven't heard good things about Carnival. Has anyone sailed on Carnival? I'd rather stay away from them....I was looking more to Royal Caribbean....

Tom of Ypsi

We have been on two Carnival cruises and enjoyed them but this has been about 15-20 years ago. They are a more layed back cruise line, not into a strick dress code and neither am I, shorts and a tee are the dress for the day.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader

Sam Bandstra PM'd me about a 4 day cruise from a northern port (north of Fla...when I say "northern" I am meaning north of Florida)..... but it's on Carnival. I haven't heard good things about Carnival. Has anyone sailed on Carnival? I'd rather stay away from them....I was looking more to Royal Caribbean....

Hey Cheryl, actually it was me (Larry) must have been under her sign on name for some reason. Sorry.
Our cruise with carnival (the only one) was not great. Lots of college kids trying to see what they could get away with without the parents around.
On the other hand, when we were on RC it was a much better experience. Good choice if that is where you decide!!!

Anyway, thank you for all that you are doing.

jmgratz

We have been on two cruises. One was a Princes and the other Carnival. The Princes was an older crowd (very few teens and kids) and the Carnival was a younger crowd. Both were great cruises. Both had formal dining. The Carnival went out of Galveston and the Princes went out of San Juan PR. Both were 7 day. All depends on what you want. Carnival was western Caribbean and Princes was Eastern Caribbean. Both ships were well kept, clean and had similar amenities. Our sister-in-law is a travel agent and would recommend Norwegian and Royal Caribbean.

Jim & Harriet

I think it is a good idea to decide on a "travel month" but also to think about number of cruise days. To that number you have to add the additional number of before-and-after travel days (depending on the port.) This may make a difference in dates and port selected if folks only have a certain "total" number of days to be away from a job or kids
or pets, etc.

dieselsweetheart

Right. If folks want to take the extra day to travel that is up to them. Let's say they need to fly to a port. They can decide if they want to fly in a day ahead and stay in a hotel or fly in early day of sailing. What I am trying to avoid is me not being able to go. LOL I think I am ok with 5 days but 4 would be ideal. If folks want to add additional days that is up to them. I am looking at eastern ports, north of Florida.

Jim & Harriet

ports that are North of Florida would work for us. November is OK but is there any chance
of a February plan? a few years ago we went to Puerto Rico in February - that was great
to get away from the real winter cold!
not a cruise, but there are curises to, and out of PR. we had a direct flight there from Philly.

dieselsweetheart

I know Feb is a good month too....Dave and Nona are already sailing then....and I'm not going to be able to get time off in Feb when I just started the semester mid-January. Feb will be a very busy month for me.... and you know I have to go!!!