Heartland quality

wrayj1

I hate to beat a dead horse, but we just visited with some neighbors, who have a new, 3 week old, Landmark Grand Canyon. They have had it in the shop for 2 0f the 3 weeks they have owned it. It has had a multitude of problems from pipes to fixtures not being connected, bending a water line that was too short and stopping the flow of water to the sink, a one inch separation of a wall in the bedroom, the sewer storage pipe not being large enough to accommodate a sewer line, and this morning when they opened the living room/kitchen slide the wood surround on the slide cracked in two places. Other issues included having crawl underneath and over the axle to drain the main water holding tank. These issues concern use greatly in our consideration of purchasing a Heartland Landmark.

I fully understand that things will go wrong, but to have the coach in the shop 2 of the first 3 weeks seems to point to poor quality control. I would gladly pay a little more to have better quality control. As Heartland owners I hope everyone will speak openly about what you would really want from the manufacturer.

Northern Virginia
I hate to beat a dead horse, but we just visited with some neighbors, who have a new, 3 week old, Landmark Grand Canyon. They have had it in the shop for 2 0f the 3 weeks they have owned it. It has had a multitude of problems from pipes to fixtures not being connected, bending a water line that was too short and stopping the flow of water to the sink, a one inch separation of a wall in the bedroom, the sewer storage pipe not being large enough to accommodate a sewer line, and this morning when they opened the living room/kitchen slide the wood surround on the slide cracked in two places. Other issues included having crawl underneath and over the axle to drain the main water holding tank. These issues concern use greatly in our consideration of purchasing a Heartland Landmark.

I fully understand that things will go wrong, but to have the coach in the shop 2 of the first 3 weeks seems to point to poor quality control. I would gladly pay a little more to have better quality control. As Heartland owners I hope everyone will speak openly about what you would really want from the manufacturer.

I have owned an Landmark Augusta for 16 months now. There are things that could be improved but we have not had any problems that I would describe as major. In fact, I have had a few of the same problems that you listed but these are ownership hurdles that you face with ANY 5th wheel. For example, the trim on the bottom of the slide cracked when I was sliding out the kitchen. The dogs ball rolled behind the edge of the slide and it cracked the trim as it was seating against the wall-Doool :eek:. Crawling under the coach to drain the water tank- that's just part of the deal with any coach.

The sewer storage is a 4" PVC pipe- that is the industry standard. I have a hose with a fitting that wouldn't go in there either. I wouldn't fault Heartland for that.

In fact, I have yet to take the coach to the dealer for anything. Every repair was minor enough that I was able to do it myself.

Overall, I have been satisfied with the quality of our 5th wheel and would but another one tomorrow.

John

Last edited:

wrayj1

Quality

Respectfully I agree that things can and will happen, but so many issues from a rig that the owner has not even put on the road yet seems wrong. Perhaps I was born in a generation that expects more. However, I think that as Americans manfacturers have played on our emotions and our thoughts that we want have our recreation at any cost. I don't expect that quality will ever improve until we stand united and say we expect bettter and will not settle for less. By not asking for better we endorse the poor quality. As consumers we have power in numbers, but none when we continue to defend poor workmanship.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
While some of these problems should have not left the factory, I question whether the dealer's and cleints PDI was very good.

Always more to the story.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
While some of these problems should have not left the factory, I question whether the dealer's and cleints PDI was very good.

Larry, I totally agree. I had some of these same issues plus a shower leak and a couple of other minor things that my dealer found and corrected prior to our PDI. We found a couple of other issues during the PDI and he would not let me leave his lot until they were corrected.

Has my new 2010 Landmark Pinehurst be perfect. No, I've had to take it back a couple of times, but it is still a very well built, quality rig and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one tomorrow, if the need arises.

I don't think being positive about a quality made product is "defending poor workmanship." In fact, it's just the opposite. It's defending very good workmanship. Not perfect mind you, but I challenge you to find one unit of that complexity that is 100% perfect.

I have purchased a brand new Ford truck, a new Toyota Camry and a new Volvo. All have had some minor problems that needed correction. I think it's important to praise American workmanship when it is warrented. Heartland, IMHO deserves praise for their products, but also for their approach to taking care of the inevitable problems that are bound to arise.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox. Sorry for the diatribe.

Keith

wrayj1

Quality

I agree that perhaps my neighbors emotions got the best of them as they purchased at an RV show, which, from my research seems not to be the best time or place to purchase. It also seemed that they had minimal knowledge of their unit as evidenced by their thinking that the standard high gloss gel coat was the same as the full body paint job.

We have done a lot of research over the past 3 years and hopefully we can learn, unfortunately from the mistakes of others, how to make an informed purchase. Thanks for your input and it was not accepted as soap boxy.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
I was totally new to RVing when I bought my Cyclone. I had researched for about 4 years prior to buying it. I had looked at so many RVs at shows and lots...they all looked alike after a while! :) I bought mine at a show. For one thing, they knocked off nearly $30 grand! When I picked it up, I pulled it home, loaded it up and headed out the next day. First RV ever and I've lived in it almost 2 years so far. Thankfully, it has never seen any repair shop. I've had a few minor issues, but repaired them all myself. Hopefully, this can continue. If (when) I desire (need) a new one - I'll buy another Heartland in a second! :)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We bought ours at a show, too. Priced to sell it was, with most of the stuff we would want, anyways. What it didn't have, the dealer added while they held it for us. IF we ever replace it, it will be with the same dealer, hopefully the same salesperson, and definitely the same brand.

biggziff

So when you see multiple owners describing the same issues on brand new rigs you feel that the problems stem from poor PDI?

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Let me say this. We have some friends that bought a new SOB about the same time we bought our Landmark.From the beginning they had problems. One slide out gave them problems the whole time they owned it.They also had other problems.The last straw was when their dealer and their manufacturer went out of business.They have traded the unit in and are waiting on a new SOB to arrive.My point is there are no perfect units out there,no matter what brand you buy.

goodtruck

We have a new Eagle Ridge and the issues we had were corrected at the dealer b4 we left with it.As you know this unit is one of the lower end units and I am really happy with it. We had a hard door put in the bedroom entry by the dealer and I really Thank heatland for there help to the dealer to make it look like factory.
I would not think twice about buying another Heartland product..

caissiel

we have a new big country 3500RL. we are very satisfied with the unit, but it has been a lot of work for me to make it my unit. we have owned 5th wheels for 15 years and this unit is the first new one. The PDI was done in hast because it was bought in a show. I have modified many things to make it our own, and while doing it I noticed a lot of things needing attention. Just today I noticed the belly was down while the no2 gray water tank was 1/2 full. I removed the belly sheet and noticed one of the angle holding the tank was bending, so I reinforced it, with the intention of installing a new stronger angle next summer. The trailer industry is in so much compitition that I feel its a standard thing, my previous trailer was build the same for a 50 gal tank. I had to watch it but it did not break. I find that these trailers are so easy to work on compared to my previous one. I suppose that if I would have to go to the dealer for every screws and fittings I thighten I would be realy dissatified with the service. I am the type of person that anticipate problems and repair them as needed, so any car or trailer would surely never be build good enough for me. In conclusion, I which the inspections would have been done properly by both the manufacturer and the dealer.