Heartland Recall

JBehrens

What did they do about the ballast to be added up front along with the axle moving back 3'? I don't understand why they didn't move the axle back far enough to make it right without adding dead weight. Is this still the case? What does your new weight label say compared to the original?

With the 3750fl I don't believe a ballast was added. They moved the axles back 30.5 inches which seems to have added a fair amount of hitch weight. The only label I have been able to find is on the off door side towards the front. It does not show a hitch weight. I have heard they place a label inside the camper, but have not been able to find one. The only documentation I have been able to find on hitch weight is from the heartland website which indicates 2605. The only true way to know, is to have it weighed at a scale. The label I do find is wrong anyway, it shows a tire size of 17.5, but the actual tire size is 16.

JBehrens

Harry1

Look inside entry door jam. Yellow sticker there will show total weight with all options as it was built. Estimate 1500 to 2000 lbs added weight you may add, then calculate about 20% of that total being on the pin. That is an estimate. Could be aliitle less than 20 % or alittle more. Only way to know for sure is to weigh it. The actual pin weight in the brochure is a base trailer/no options.

rdufek

Very curious as to what they are going to do with the tank valves. They are right where the new location for the back tire will be. Anyone got one back yet?
Well I just returned home with my BH 3750FL after having the recall work done. The work done looks really good. It went down the road really good and in fact I got much better gas milage this time pulling it home from the dealer. As stated by someone else, the drivers side fender skirt on the slide does flop around in the wind a little, not sure how that's going to hold out but I will find out soon enough as it will be going on a very long trip soon. Again, as someone else stated, no ballast needed on the 3750FL. The grey and black pulls in the rear are just behind the rear wheels and are now accessible through the wheel well.

Bob and Valerie

dieseldogsdad

JBerhens, that fender looks bad. I had a $20,000 TT before I bought this BH and it had better fit and finish than that. Did they relocate the tank valves or do you have to reach around the tire to access them? If your sticker says 17.5 wheels I would assume the dealer had swapped your tires and wheels out for another customer who wanted an upgrade. As to the scratch I am a little disappointed they did not fix this for you. When the transport driver came and got my 3750FL he rubbed the back of mine against our basketball hoop leaving a orange scuff/scrape. I tried to stop him but he couldn't hear me and he couldn't see me as I was on the blind side. I informed HL and asked that it be repaired while in their factory. I guess we will see if that gets done or not. Almost a month after recall and the first units are being returned, that is one long 8 hour fix.

rdufek

Grey #2 is, black and 1 grey are in the back behind the rear wheel well now. There used to be an access door but that now has been eliminated with the axles being moved. This is on a BH 3750fl

Bob and Valerie

Last edited:

Mburtsvt

I took a picture on the tank valves, you can see where they are now View attachment 35329

Im sorry - one of the reasons I was looking at the 3750FL WAS THAT THE TANK VALVES WERE NOT UNDER THE TRAILER! Not a big game changer, but I will have to add electric dump valves with the switch in the UDC.Bad engineering is resulting in additional cost to the end user. I'll stand by and see how they re engineer the new builds.

JBehrens

Grey #2 is, black and 1 grey are in the back behind the rear wheel well now. There used to be an access door but that now has been eliminated with the axles being moved. This is on a BH 3750fl

Bob and Valerie

Mine did and still does have an access door behind the wheels. Heartland did contact me and offered to do whatever was necessary to take care of my scratch. I was also told they are looking into the flopping, and alignment issues, with the fenders, and checking into dirty return deliveries.

Cudos for taking care of the axle problem before someone got hurt.

JBehrens

dieseldogsdad

Mine did and still does have an access door behind the wheels. Heartland did contact me and offered to do whatever was necessary to take care of my scratch. I was also told they are looking into the flopping, and alignment issues, with the fenders, and checking into dirty return deliveries.

Cudos for taking care of the axle problem before someone got hurt.

JBehrens

JBehrens was yours done at the factory? That may be the difference I think rdufek had his done at the dealer. Did they move your valves or just re-install the door further back? Hopefully mine has a access door that looks really awkward to get to. I guess you just lean against the muddy tire and reach back behind the fender.

rdufek

I have to say the valve pulls are not any harder to pull from the wheel well then the access door that I once had, they're right there. While Heartland really dropped the ball letting these trailers out the door with such a major engineering defect they really stepped it up to make it right. Lets face it, most car dealers do not come and pick up your vehicle and also offer to return to your home when there is a recall, all within 3 weeks time even though the labor is only 8 hours. My trailer was spotless when I picked it up, at my choosing, right down to the wheels being detailed again. Unfortunately it was raining and had freezing rain in the morning so the roads were freshly salted and my unit once again arrived home filthy. I spent the day yesterday washing it and it looks pristine again. The alignment is off because the slide overlaps the rear of the trailer and another screw in the fender skirt might help reduce the alignment some but I do not see that being much of an issue as when I'm camping my slides are out. The flopping is definitely going to be an issue. Winds were blowing around 20mph here today and that entire section on the slide was flopping, so me seeing it in my mirror moving at 65 has to be a lot more than what I could see today standing next to it at 20mph. I have confidence Heartland will make it right if it's not correct. Unfortunately that is a consequence of being one of the earlier units to get the recall completed. I look forward to a fabulous camping season in my new Big Horn 3750FL.

Bob and Valerie

I am new here. Learning how to use this thing. Found this site searching on yahoo for information on the recall on the Bighorns 3750FL's I bought a new one in November of 2014. Got the letter about a month ago, but have not done anything yet. Waiting to see what everybody else is doing.

Steve

jimtoo

I am new here. Learning how to use this thing. Found this site searching on yahoo for information on the recall on the Bighorns 3750FL's I bought a new one in November of 2014. Got the letter about a month ago, but have not done anything yet. Waiting to see what everybody else is doing.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Do as your letter suggested, contact your dealer or Heartland and make the necessary arrangements with them to get the work done.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jbeletti

Hi Steve and welcome. I suggest you do as Jim McGee states - wait no further and make contact with Heartland so you can get this issue taken care of.

JBehrens

JBehrens was yours done at the factory? That may be the difference I think rdufek had his done at the dealer. Did they move your valves or just re-install the door further back? Hopefully mine has a access door that looks really awkward to get to. I guess you just lean against the muddy tire and reach back behind the fender.

Mine was done at the factory.

Has anyone actually checked the new hitch weight?

JBehrens

dieseldogsdad

It doesn't appear anyone else has got their's back yet. Just 2 members? Still waiting on mine. Sent 2 emails asking when I could expect it to be done. The first email sent on 3/8 received no response and the second sent on 3/16 I was told someone would contact me. 3/22 no one has contacted me yet.

rdufek

So just an update, my thread on the fender skirt blowing in the wind was noticed by Heartland and I was contacted by them via phone. I was told they had spotted the issue at the factory with the units that were being done there and had placed additional bracing on. Long story short, they made quick work and sent me the brackets to reinforce the skirt, which I did not have a problem with and greatly appreciate it. I'm thankful they contacted me prior to leaving on a long trip and resolving this so that I did not have a problem while out on the road. I can't wait to hit the road at the end of this week with my brand new Heartland Big Horn 3750FL and start the 2015 camping season. I look forward to many trips this year.

Bob and Valerie

caissiel

On my 3500RL, along with my neighbor's SOB we found we needed to reinforce the skirting to save them from destruction.
I pity the owners that depend on the OEM to do it right.
My experience for the past 6 years is to check every inch of my unit before it self distruct. Just had to rebuild the rear wall that was rotting and held by the window and 3 screws. All the other screws had broken and the wall was not attached to the floor.

Sure hope it doesn't take this long for us as we will be staying in a motel waiting for it to be done. We wouldn't be able to afford much more than 4 days in a motel as we live in our Bighorn fulltime. Anybody else get theirs done and how long did it take?