Heartland Recall

SharonH

We have a 2015 Big Horn 3750FL that was recalled for stability issues. Heartland had our RV picked up over a month ago. They did send a transporter to pick it up and we were told we could not move it once we had been notified. We were initially told the repair would take about two weeks. They took our RV to the Houston area for the repair. They are cutting and moving the axel back to improve the stability. Is anyone familiar with this? Should we be worried that our RV will never be as sound as it should be? Any advice would be appreciated! Also our black water & grey water valve pulls were miss-labeled. Thank goodness we figured it out before tank overflowed.

danemayer

We have a 2015 Big Horn 3750FL that was recalled for stability issues. Heartland had our RV picked up over a month ago. They did send a transporter to pick it up and we were told we could not move it once we had been notified. We were initially told the repair would take about two weeks. They took our RV to the Houston area for the repair. They are cutting and moving the axel back to improve the stability. Is anyone familiar with this? Should we be worried that our RV will never be as sound as it should be? Any advice would be appreciated! Also our black water & grey water valve pulls were miss-labeled. Thank goodness we figured it out before tank overflowed.

Hi SharonH,

There's been quite a bit of discussion on your question earlier in this thread (yours is post #121). Do you have specific questions not already answered further down the thread?

pnev

We have a 2015 Big Horn 3750FL that was recalled. It was picked up 3 weeks ago and we have been told that the work was finished 10 days ago. We received a call from the driver who will deliver the 5th to us in 2 days. We are full timers so this recall has been an unexpected expense for us. Really looking forward to getting the Big Horn back but this has not been a good experience for us.

rdufek1

Just a quick note, made our 1st leg of trip, 1300 plus miles after the recall was done and all appears great. We Love our unit and and look towards a wonderful camping season. One footnote, as someone else had mentioned, our black and grey tank pulls in the rear are labeled backwards also. That was on our BH 3750FL.

Bob & Valerie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Just a quick note, made our 1st leg of trip, 1300 plus miles after the recall was done and all appears great. We Love our unit and and look towards a wonderful camping season. One footnote, as someone else had mentioned, our black and grey tank pulls in the rear are labeled backwards also. That was on our BH 3750FL.

Bob & Valerie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great report - thanks for circling back here to advise as to how you felt Heartland did on the unit and how it pulled. Note that I have reported to Service about the mis-labeling on the tank pulls in back - so we can get this right going forward.

dieseldogsdad

I got mine back last Sunday. I must say just looking at the trailer it looks good can't really tell that it didn't come this way. They seem to have fixed the fender alignment issue and they also relocated the tank valves further back. There are a couple things that bother me some though. 1- They just patched the holes on the belly enclosure with expanding foam instead of replacing it with a new one. There are also some gaps in it so that is one more place for bugs and rodents to get in. 2- As a experienced certified welder myself, I would have to say the welds look like garbage. I do not believe they would ever pass any kind of weld test. They are not smooth looking and appear to be either undercut or little penetration. I can see myself grinding most of it out and re-welding this in the future. This also makes me want to inspect the rest of the welds on the 5th wheel. I have thrown in some photos of the repair work.
IMG_1463.jpg IMG_1466.jpgIMG_1467.jpgIMG_1472.jpgIMG_1469.jpg

porthole

Retired
"there is never enough time to do the job right the first time, but there is always enough time to do it right the second time"

Might have to change one of my creeds, an addendum, "or the third or fourth"

Saw welds like that on a new trailer year or so ago, some broken off. Required a mobile welder to come out and fix before the trailer could be moved.

Someone needs to be moved from the frame department to the fabric shop.

kbp

My 3750FL is scheduled to be picked up in the morning and taken to RV Outlet Mall in Georgetown Tx for the warranty work. Has anyone had the repairs done there? Wish us luck as it seems like a crap shoot on the quality of the work done on the units returned to the owners according to this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are also full timers and know how you feel. We are having to stay in a hotel with our 110 pound lab while the work is being done. We sold our home to become fulltime RVersnd lived about 20 mins. from the factory so they are doing the recall work Today we went to the offices at Heartlandand actually met with Greg Flint He was very caring and gracious and patiently listened to our concerns. My husband and I are both retired and living on a fixed income. We needed to know how long before we could be back in our "home". They are getting it in tomorrow morning and out as soon as possible. Some of the small issues under warranty will be scheduled to be done another day. With all the upset to us with this situation, I still believe in Heartland, love their RVs and wouldn't choose any other. They have been good to us as far as responding to our emails and questions. I know they will do their customers right. We drove our Big Horn to Alabama for the winter and knew immediately something wasn't right. Heartland transported our Big Horn from Alabama to Indiana for us. We fully understand your frustration. Will keep everyone posted as soon as we get it back.

They transported our 5th wheel back from Alabama. It got into the shop this past Tuesday and by end of day the axle work had been done. Wednesday were the inspections and we received it back on Thursday. I have been very impressed by the cooperation we received from Heartland. Greg Flint kept in touch with us to let us know what had been done and when we could expect it back. He basically took us under his wing to be sure we were satisfied even going into the RV to be sure I hadn't left any food in the refrigerator. He remembered we had talked about that but wanted to be sure we wouldn't get back a mess. He returned every call I made to him within 10 mins. John Hawkins who I originally talked to was also very concerned about the handling of this matter. We were fulltime RVers and couldn't go back home and wait for it since we had sold our home and had to rely on hotels/motels. He allowed us to use the Heartland corporate discount to stay in a hotel there in Elkhart. We also had a 110 lb. Lab traveling with us! He was definitely very understanding of our situation. I was convinced that real customer service had been dead for quite a long time but Heartland exhibited a high level of great customer service and it is totally appreciated by us the consumer. Kudos to everyone at Heartland! I will recommend them to anyone looking to buy a RV because of their dedication to having satisfied customers...even after the sale.

pnev

We did not have a good experience with the whole process for the recall on the 2015 Big Horn 3750 FL. It was picked up on 3/10 and delivered back to us on 4/1. Twenty two days in hotel rooms, plus a storage unit for the items we had to remove from the 5th, for repairs that we were told would take a week. We went to Tampa Camping World on the 8th day and located it on the lot unlocked and no work started. Eventually we were told that 5th was done on 3/20. There was a lack of communication between Heartland, Camping World and us "the customer". Greg Flint told us on 3/27 that they couldn't find a driver to transport the 5th to us. Finally on 4/1 the 5th was delivered to us unlocked and no keys. The dealer had sent them thru the mail.
The repairs - welds look bad so who knows about the structural integrity; skirting is not attached properly; dump door is not located near handles; did not crawl under to inspect underbelly

rdufek

Made it home after putting on almost 3000 miles on our BH 3750FL. Everything held up great after the recall. I reported while on vacation that my rear grey and waste valves were labeled backwards as someone else had reported. Upon my arrival home Heartland must of seen my post and sent me new labels so that I can mark them correctly, Thank You Heartland for noticing, it was a nice surprise. Heartland customer support has been great. Again, I can't wait for a great 2015 camping season in my new BH 3750FL and my 1st ever Heartland Rally in Verona NY this August.

Bob and Valerie

SharonH

We were not happy at all with the cosmetics of the repair work. Heartland transported it back to our dealers to work on some of the cosmetics. We are still not happy that the sides are seamed where they were not before and that the pull tanks are over the back tire. They said they could not be relocated. They were able to brace the sides better. The underbelly is still a wavy mess, but at least most of the huge gaping holes were filled in with foam. I still worry about the long tem aspects of the axels needing to be moved over 2 1/2 feet, but I guess we will see. We just want to use it while we have good weather.

We had ours done at Heartland in Elkhart and they also relocated the valves. Big difference driving and now getting good fuel mileage! We are so glad we took it directly to the factory. Very satisfied with work done.

truckmen

Only the Big Country 3900 FLP will have ballast added to the pin...

NOOoooo, we don't need anymore weight in the pin box!

We have one of these 3900FLPs and we have not experienced much in the way of swaying or instability. But then, I made sure that anything I loaded into the basement compartments were light if at the rear and the most lightest items are at the very rear. All of my tools and heavy items are up forward in the more forward compartments but not the very front. THAT one is where the gen sits. I am unsure if all of what I've done is helping me. I have only axle weighed my setup nad have not weighed the pin.

My 5th wheel hitch is a 24,000-lb Companion setup as far forward as it is engineered to do in the 8-foot bed of the 2014 Ram crew cab.
I'll add corrections to this post if anyone has minor questions about it and, will post a 2nd reply for more important questions.

Ralph

Last edited: