Heat Pumps Single or Dual?

Jc55

Hi All!
I'm new to forum(I've been lurking for months), and I'm in the process of ordering an Oshkosh!
I'm very excited and though I had researched just about everything. I will be fulltiming in this rig and am not sure about the heat pump options.
I have already selected the 3rd AC, but do I need dual heat pumps or just one and if I get one, should it be on the main ac unit of the 2nd?

Thanks in advance!!

jimtoo

Hi Jc55,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum and soon to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some info from our other members with heat pumps soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

mikeandconnie

At the Tampa RV show they where on the 2cd only. I'm not sure of the reason behind this. We are ordering one also and with the bedroom fireplace, I ask my self why would I need another one. If it's too cold you will need to run the gas furnace to keep the basement warm. Thanks for the question I little torn if I need it at all.

Jc55

At the Tampa RV show they where on the 2cd only. I'm not sure of the reason behind this. We are ordering one also and with the bedroom fireplace, I ask my self why would I need another one. If it's too cold you will need to run the gas furnace to keep the basement warm. Thanks for the question I little torn if I need it at all.

Hi mikeandconnie, i started my order at the Tampa show too! From what I've researched so far, if it gets too cold, it will switch to the furnace. I've asked for clarification as I ordered mine with the 3rd ac.. The heat pump on main ac would be the living area and heat pump on 2nd would be in the bedroom. I'm not planning on being in a cold climate (30s) on purpose. But for chilly nights or days, I think the heat pump would be good to have. Just dont' know if the one in the bedroom is overkill with that fireplace.

Mburtsvt

I have a Landmark 2016 Madison with 2 heat pumps.
I would not have added the 2ed one in the rear of my RV, (bedroom), if I had known how loud it is.

My other problem is that the front heat pump is tied into the main furnace. You can’t RUN BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. Very dissapointing. I don’t know if this was a design decision or lazyness on Heartlands part. I can’t heat the basement and run the front heat pump at the same time.

RoadJunkie

I have had the opportunity (?) to try both of the scenarios you are considering. While I ordered 2 heat pumps on my new BigHorn, the factory eliminated the heat pump in the living area and included one for the bedroom. While I was waiting for the new heat pump unit to be delivered and installed I spent 2 weeks in the Horn with mild evening temperatures, lows of 36ish to 45ish. While the heat pump does not respond as quickly as the furnace to heat the coach, it does an excellent job of maintaining the temperature. Heat pumps are also great for keeping the coach cozy while you are away without using propane, presumably on the parks electrical nickle. The heat pump will heat the bedroom until you can't take how warm it is in there. We placed a floor fan--directed towards the living area--and the one unit did a pretty fair job (combined with the living room fireplace) of keeping the entire rig warm. On several evenings we selected a Low manual fan speed, away from Auto, and we both slept quite well with the heat pump keeping the room at our set point of 62. If you don't select a manual speed for the fan the unit cycles and disturbs sleeping. I would estimate the fan noise on the same level as a thru-wall mounted air conditioner in a hotel room.

Once my second heat pump unit was exchanged/installed, I was curious as to how efficient it was working. So, I zapped it with my super-duper, laser-guided, Binford model 702 thermal gun (argh, argh), aimed precisely at the ceiling output vents in the living room. With the outside temperature at around 45 degrees, my blue-background display indicated 114 deg. So, I decided the new unit is working. Operationally, you cannot operate both the heat pump and the furnace at the same time.

For low outside temperatures: Between 40 degrees and 32 degrees the heat pump with alternate between operational and defrost modes. At 32 degrees and below the unit will transfer to furnace operation for the living room unit. If you care, you can view the operational activity on the Dometic thermostat display via the icons. Also, the unit will automatically switch from Heat Pump (HP) mode to air conditioning for those days when you have chilly mornings and warm afternoons.

Now, each of us will decide if all this is worth the expense. I find that the relatively small expenses are forgotten in the long run. But, don't expect to have any of them added to the value at trade-in time.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We have a Landmark 365 Ashland with 2 heat pumps. I've turned them on once or twice- very noisy. It's nice knowing I have them if needed.
We use the fire place set on 66 degrees most of the time. It seem to keep the coach comfortable most of the time. Then I set the furnace on around 58 degrees and it rarely comes on ever.

Jc55

Thanks for all the feedback and the welcomes!
I've decided at this point that I'd rather be with than without.
Hope to see you all on the road or at a rally soon!