Help a newbie with an awning!

HPMait154

Recently purchased a 2011 Heartland Trail Runner, and on the second time out, we experienced a quick and unexpected windstorm. The awning partially pulled out of the wall (the fabric appears to have come out of a track) about eight inches from the end. There are no tears or hardware damage. Can I put it back on my own or do I have to deal with the nightmare that is my RV dealer's service department?

jimtoo

HI HPMait154,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

If you feel comfortable doing the repair yourself, I can see not reason not to. I think we all do little things that should be taken care of by the warranty, but by the time you drive, take time off, wait or make another trip back to pickup the unit, it's less expensive to do it yourself and you know it's fixed right.

I would suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030, and explain to them what has happened just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy the forum and your Trail Runner.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it managed to pull out of the track, the track might have spread open a little from the stress. You might try putting slack in the awning and gently force it back into the track a little at a time. Check the gap in the track and you might need to compress it a little to re-secure it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The other thing you might think about is if you have insurance it will usually cover awning damage.

jnbhobe

As John said its not very hard to fix and as Jimtoo said no traveling back and forth,and I will save my insurance for a big claim before they raise the cost for too many claims.

JohnDar

As John said its not very hard to fix and as Jimtoo said no traveling back and forth,and I will save my insurance for a big claim before they raise the cost for too many claims.

Yeah, like when you are taking a nap through a fast, heavy storm and the awning collapses, taking the roller and arms with it. DAMHIKT.

HPMait154

Hey, thanks to all of you for the quick responses!

I'll be taking a closer look at the track this afternoon, and let you know how it all works out!

My wife and I are new to RV'ing, but have experienced nothing but friendly, helpful, and considerate folks at every turn (save for the aforementioned RV dealer service department). You guys are great!

JohnDar

Welcome to the gang! It's unlikely you can invent a problem that has not been experienced by at least one person on these forums, so ask away. This is the place to learn about things before they happen (to you) so you can apply preemptive maintenance to it.

HPMait154

Been a while, but wanted to let everyone know the awning is holding fast with no problems since our repair!

Thanks again.

HPMait154

Another question, if you don't mind;

is there any way to tighten the fabric on the awning, or should it have just a little "sag" or "give" to it?