Help! Big country smells like cat urine!!

B

BouseBill

OK, As some of you may remember we purchased this rig new sitting on the lot up in Las Vegas. I think it was sitting there for at least 18 months. anyway we are now living in the rig full time and working the bugs out. Here is a problem that surfaced since the monsoon rains started up in the Prescott Az area. There is a very strong odor like the smell of cat urine(and we don't have any cats) coming from under the refrigerator. This is a 3355RL which has the fridge elevated and at an angle to the kitchen and has an open vented area under the fridge that extends towards the front of the rig, when I unscrewed and removed the cover over this open area one can see forward into the area where the furnace is located. The BOSS IS NOT A HAPPY CAMPER:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.
I can't for the life of me figure out where the odor is coming from...any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated.
We are having a mobile RV service coming out on Monday to look at some other problems but this needs attention before then.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That area that is vented runs to the area where the furnace is and is used as a cold air return. This is normal.
As far as the odor goes, they can at times be difficult find.
When I hear that the rig has been sitting for 18 months, there could have been.....well, who knows what living in there.
I would start by removing the wall in the basement and have a look around, and sniff around. You should see your cold air return from there.
If you find nothing, but I suspect you will, then start unscrewing the black coroplast belly material and look for nesting material.
If you find something then a good wash job with some ammonia water and a good odor eliminating spray would be in order.
Good luck, and come back to let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ammonia is what makes cat urine stink. Could it be an ammonia leak from the fridge?

If it was ammonia from the refrigerator the refrigerator wouldn't be working and the ammonia smell would run them out of the unit. Watery eyes and difficult breathing would be a common symptom of an ammonia leak. Of course cat urine comes close to that at times.

Whereas, if it is cat urine it's just going to be stinky and unpleasant until it's found and washed away.

B

BouseBill

Our SOB had an ammonia leak which left a yellow cake (ish) powder on the coil where it was leaking from, when the rain stops I'll take a mirror and flashlight to the back side and see what I can see up the backside. Although the temps in the fridge are at normal levels for a working unit.
reading other threads about the valves on the sink vent systems how does one tell if the vent is open or closed?
Thanks for all the quick answers and help:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To tell if it is indeed urine, obtain a black light (try a pet store) and shine it in the space. Animal urine will fluoresce under black light. The problem could be dead, decaying rodents, too, if it was sitting that long. Not likely a cat would take up residence or even be able to get inside.

rick_debbie_gallant

Las Vegas eh, for 18 months. Hmmmmmm, try Goggling "what chemicals smell like cat urine" and go from there. I did and you will be surprised at what I found. Something about cooking!

Last edited:

camr

Since the unit has sat on the lot for a long time, any water leak from rain would likely have gone un-noticed. If you are sure that it is not a leak from the fridge, perhaps check for anything rotting, floor, wall panels, etc. Although it is unlikely that it experienced months of monsoon rains in Vegas, it appears that moisture is re-activating what ever is causing the odour. Could it have been on a sales lot in another area for the first 12 months, like California?

If it is in fact a biological odour (not chemical), then a product called Natures Miracle should work. It is available from any pet store, and is used by most cat breeders. It is an enzyme product that works by digesting what is causing the odour, not by covering it up. If you use it, let it sit on the problem area for about 20 minutes, as it takes time to work.

Best of luck.

B

BouseBill

Have not had a repeat of the odor since the first incident on Saturday, which lasted most of the day. I did call and make an appointment with a mobile RV tech who is coming out this afternoon. His first thought was the fridge developed a leak. I don't think so as there is no yellow stains that I can see anywhere and the temp this morning was a cool 30 degrees on level 3. A friggen mystery for sure.
I'm leaning on maybe one of the sink vents was open? I did tinker with them and now no stinky smell.
thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

B

BouseBill

Well after months of wondering what the problem may be? I'll let the picture do the talking. This is the black tank removed last week. Due to the method used in installation the tank developed a crack between the downtube (?) and the vent tube, as the tank became full it would expand and contract.
Hopefully Heartland has changed their method of installing black tanks since this rig was manufactured.

Attachments

• 011a.jpg
    011a.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:

DW_Gray

Dang, I was afraid of this. Now I think I too have a cracked Black tank. Well actually, I think it exploded on the top somewhere. I heard a loud bang a few nights ago. My wife has been smelling cat urine as well for about 6 days. Yesterday, I was having problems emptying the black tank. I found some stuck stuff in the bottom the toilet pipe. Got on roof and discovered the vent pipe raised up 2 inches.

This is not good.

B

BouseBill

Dave, I feel for you and Amy. Thank the good Lord ours was still under warranty, cause it took the dealership many many hours to repair the problem (maybe). I think ours is also going back to the dealership here in a few weeks as it's still not working properly in that as the black tank fills to approx 3/4 full then it starts spitting water back up the toilet when you flush. I think the vent tube is placed to low in the tank causing the gasses to built up in the tank as the fluids block the bottom of the vent tube. Our solution for the time is just not let the black tank get full.