Help needed with Dual Tire Pressure Checking

hriker

I am new to the Rving community and would like any recommendations regarding checking the tire pressure on a dual wheeled tow vehicle. I realize I need to check the TV tire pressure to remain safe. My question is how have others made it easier to access the inside dual tire's valve stem to remove the cap to check the pressure? The valve stem is short and I cannot reach it. I have considered valve extensions, but my tire guy feels they may cause more problems than they solve. So I am at a loss as to a better solution. Any help would be appreciated!

hoefler

You need a dual head gage, like the big trucks use. The are about 16" long, I have to remove my wheel covers to make it easier to access the inside dual. I tried the extensions once, broke my valve stem and I caught it before I ruined the tire.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You will definitely need the "trucker's" gage. But, unless they've made a change, or it's only on GMC, the valve stems are gated rubber stems. You do not need to remove the cap to check or add air to them. If they're black plastic caps, with a white "ball" on the end, just press the gage or air chuck firmly to them and have at it.

I also considered valve extensions, etc., but was warned against them by the place that would have installed them, a truck tire dealer.

hriker

Thank you for the information. I did purchase a dual head gauge and it will reach the inside valve stem. But it has a cap not a gated rubber stem. I attached a pix. Is there a tool that can be used to remove and replace the cap when needed?

Attachments

• 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    616.1 KB · Views: 62

Wharton

We ended up putting on a TPMS system for the truck and trailer. Much easier solution and gives the the comfort of knowing your tire pressure all the time. Must have metal valve stems on all tires.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thank you for the information. I did purchase a dual head gauge and it will reach the inside valve stem. But it has a cap not a gated rubber stem. I attached a pix. Is there a tool that can be used to remove and replace the cap when needed?
I took a short piece of wooden dowel rod and drilled a hole in the end so that the valve cap fits snug into the hole. Almost half way. I push the dowel onto the cap and unscrew it. The cap stays in the end of the dowel. Reverse to re-install.

hriker

Ray:

Thank you. That is a great solution. I will try it. That's great because my intention is to install a Pressure Pro Tire monitoring system. However, I think I may need to upgrade the valve stems to a metal stem so the weight of the pressure caps does not crack the rubber valve stems. Any idea what size hole you drilled in the dowel? Nice solution!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray:

Thank you. That is a great solution. I will try it. That's great because my intention is to install a Pressure Pro Tire monitoring system. However, I think I may need to upgrade the valve stems to a metal stem so the weight of the pressure caps does not crack the rubber valve stems. Any idea what size hole you drilled in the dowel? Nice solution!!
I think I started with a 1/4" bit. I had a spare cap that I used as a "guide".

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW if you install a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) be sure you have metal valve stems. If you do not you will break the valve stem off caused by the flexing of the rubber stem by the sensor.

Wharton

We have the Pressure Pro and love it, metal valve stems are a requirement I think for all TPMS systems...........

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have the Pressure Pro and love it, metal valve stems are a requirement I think for all TPMS systems...........

Metal stems are required for the TST system, also. Until I need new tires on the truck, I'll rely on the tire gage. And it's another $300 to outfit the six tires on the truck with sensors.

hriker

Thanks all; that's about what I thought and glad you all have confirmed it. Spoke to my tire guy yesterday and it will cost about $100 to put metal valve stems in all six tires. Once we buy the Pressure Pro System we will have the valve stems upgraded. We don't want any problems on the road we can take care of ahead of time.

hriker

Ray:

I forgot to say that I made the valve stem cap remover out of a dowel as you recommended. It worked great. I used a 5/8" dowel and started with a 1/4" drill bit and ended up finishing with an 11/32" drill bit. It's a perfect fit for the caps used on my TV. Total cost $3.00. Works great!!! Thanks for the recommendation. By the way, my tire guy thought it was a great homemade tool.

Wharton

Make sure you buy the Pressure Pro that can do the trailer also. Those are the tires that can cause serious problems and damage.................

SilverRhino

Thanks all; that's about what I thought and glad you all have confirmed it. Spoke to my tire guy yesterday and it will cost about $100 to put metal valve stems in all six tires. Once we buy the Pressure Pro System we will have the valve stems upgraded. We don't want any problems on the road we can take care of ahead of time.

After your post I feel even more fortunate! Got my TPMS from TST early last week so I went to storage and brought the BC home to remove the wheels for metal valve stem installation. Took two tires in in the morning and then two in that afternoon. All four tires were broken down, valve stems removed, new valve stems installed, sending units installed and then the tires were balanced. I went up to the desk when the last two were done and said that "I need to give you some money and then I can get out of here". The tire man said " you buy your tires here so let's see......Just go on and go.....No charge"!

That type of service to customers is unheard of in this day! Yes I buy tires there.....Always at a matched price from someone else selling them cheaper. There is no question where I will go to purchase my next set of tires!!!

Travel Safe!