HELP! Norcold "LI" "oP" fault code

Mike-n-Justina

This morning our fridge has a fault code LI oP reading on it. The owners manual says "The high temperature limit switch is open." Is this something we might be able to fix ourselves? Leaving on a trip tomorrow and need my fridge.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to an old post by someone that had the same fault code. [LINK]
Hope it helps.

Peace
Dave

Mike-n-Justina

I just did the magnet trick and it worked. Thank you so so so much. I was freaking out when I went over and seen the fridge wasn't working. I didn't know where I was gonna keep my jello shots for this weekend cold. :) I don't know what we'd do without this group on the forum to help us out. Heartlanders are the best.

NHCelt

The big question is why. The switch is there to prevent fires from overheating.

l had the issue, and found my cause...insulation in the upper vent area blocking the vent stack. If I were you I would look for the cause of the issue. Could actually be that the switch did its job and saved you from a dangerous fire.

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
Let me start with this. We just purchased the 2017 cyclone 4113 during the 4th July weekend already had to have warranty work done to it. The holding tank sensors was the first issue. Now wife turns on the refrigerator on Wednesday before Labor Day wk-end son goes to check on Thursday to begin loading the refrigerator and he gets the L1 op. Thanks to the forum I knew what to do to reset it. While camping it went out about twice and had to reset. Well just now did some checking today and in the upper vent area found a piece of panel covering over half of the upper vent area so I removed it thinking it would help. So I turned on the refrigerator and about 15 sec later I got the L1 op. This is ridiculous. I understand that stuff happens but this is making me have second thoughts about heartland. Because this is my first.
I'm not saying this is all heartlands fault but what I'm seeing this problem has been around since 2005 if not before and the problem up to 2016 still has not be rectified. This is where heartland should have held norcold's feet to the fire. Now I have to see about more warranty work.
Don't know if I mentioned that, that was my first trip out in it over the Labor Day weekend.
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That piece of paneling that you removed was there for a reason. It is used to direct airflow over the fins of the refrigerator.
A bunch of years ago Heartland was using Dometic brand refrigerators and there were problems with them. People complained that they should switch brands.
Now they use Norcold. Same problems, different name.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

danemayer

The LI oP code seems to have 2 primary causes.

One is overheating on the backside of the refrigerator, which is usually an airflow problem or a fan failure. But it can be a cooling unit problem too.

The other cause is from the sensor getting wet. I've heard of this a number of times, usually associated with washing the trailer.

SNOKING

The LI oP code seems to have 2 primary causes.

One is overheating on the backside of the refrigerator, which is usually an airflow problem or a fan failure. But it can be a cooling unit problem too.

The other cause is from the sensor getting wet. I've heard of this a number of times, usually associated with washing the trailer.

That is what happen to me yesterday morning, wet! Washing the trailer I strayed off the lower vent cover. We are parked under trees! Water got on the over temp control box. Blew it off with leaf blower and reset it.

Chris

Warrstang331

North Carolina Chapter Leaders
That piece of paneling that you removed was there for a reason. It is used to direct airflow over the fins of the refrigerator.
A bunch of years ago Heartland was using Dometic brand refrigerators and there were problems with them. People complained that they should switch brands.
Now they use Norcold. Same problems, different name.

Peace
Dave

Thanks for that bit of info. Will put that piece of panel back in place. Now got to see what else can be done other than bypassing the sensor

SNOKING

I had the same problem as the OP and wrote a step-by-step guide to resetting the high temperature limit switch after it gets wet. I know this is an older thread - but I wanted to add this link in case someone else comes across it first.

Now if I could just figure out how to keep that dang switch dry in a pouring rain...I had to reset it again this morning after a storm at 3:30 am. :mad:

We just had the same issue this evening. I has been raining off and on all day today(gully washers) and everything is damp in the compartment. I may switch the fans back not being on all the time. Maybe they are drawing extra moisture into the compartment. Dried it with a hair dryer and reset with my large magnet on a handle for picking up screws and nailers on the ground. Chris

Last edited:

rhodies1

Let me start with this. We just purchased the 2017 cyclone 4113 during the 4th July weekend already had to have warranty work done to it. The holding tank sensors was the first issue. Now wife turns on the refrigerator on Wednesday before Labor Day wk-end son goes to check on Thursday to begin loading the refrigerator and he gets the L1 op. Thanks to the forum I knew what to do to reset it. While camping it went out about twice and had to reset. Well just now did some checking today and in the upper vent area found a piece of panel covering over half of the upper vent area so I removed it thinking it would help. So I turned on the refrigerator and about 15 sec later I got the L1 op. This is ridiculous. I understand that stuff happens but this is making me have second thoughts about heartland. Because this is my first.
I'm not saying this is all heartlands fault but what I'm seeing this problem has been around since 2005 if not before and the problem up to 2016 still has not be rectified. This is where heartland should have held norcold's feet to the fire. Now I have to see about more warranty work.
Don't know if I mentioned that, that was my first trip out in it over the Labor Day weekend.
SOMETHING HAS TO BE DONE.

agree,that piece of panel needs to be put back in the upper vent,as stated,this is used to cause a chimney effect and draw air in from the bottom and out the top.this system cools the fins,without this piece of panel air is not drawn in at the bottom at an efficient level to keep the refrig cool.it will overheat and then you will have problems,depending on the style/model of refrig you could be looking at 4 grand to replace.