High Pressure valve stems for 110 PSI and higher

pegmikef

I got a really good price on a set of four G614s and I am thinking about replacing mine (30,000 miles, 3 years) just for peace of mind and two of the tires continue to lose a small amount of air. My dilemma are the high pressure valve stems that I want to replace at the same time.

After doing a some research it looks like what they call high pressure valve stems are actually rubber based valves with long metal stems. This is what it looks like Heartland (or their vendor) installed on my rims when they installed the G614s. My concern is this type of valve is designed for a max of 100 PSI. The other type of high pressure valve stems are high pressure clamp-in metal valves and are supposedly good up to 200 PSI.

My questions.

If it turns out that the valve stems in my tires are the first type (they have 3 years and 30,000 miles on them) should I just leave them installed? . . . . or

Should I have Goodyear replace them with the same type of valve stem? . . . or

Should I replace them with the clamp-in metal ones?

And finally, does anyone out there have the part number or name of the valve stems used in Heartland's high pressure Sailun and Goodyear.

Here are excerpts of the info I found on TireRack.com

Attachments

• tireinfo1.jpg
    tireinfo1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 62
  • tireinfo2.jpg
    tireinfo2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 60

Roller4tan

I had the metal clampons installed when I changed over to the G614's
Actually metal with nut and oring

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Went to a Goodyear shop and they installed metal valve stems that screw on. They are high pressure valve stems. "O"-ring seal.

NHCelt

If you can, have them install a locking nut. They have a tendency to loosen. Most tire people don't know much about valve stems. Ask if they use a valve stem torque wrench...these stems should be torqued.

mlpeloquin

If you can, have them install a locking nut. They have a tendency to loosen. Most tire people don't know much about valve stems. Ask if they use a valve stem torque wrench...these stems should be torqued.

I only had one valve stem leak when it got cold at night . I waited for a good cold night in the winter and carefully tightened it. Your correct that with a proper torque the nuts would never back off. After nine months the tires have not lost any air. Goodyear G614's set a 100 psi.

DuaneG

Just had G614's put on my trailer and spare. The small town I was in had limited tire resources so I had the tires delivered and then they mounted them. They put the rubber/metal stem on and said they were the high pressure ones. Apparently they called the vendor who said they will take 110 psi but later I checked the same website listed in this thread and the stems were rated at 100 psi for those types. I don't know the actual model so just going off of looks right now.

I am sure the vendor has some wiggle room from 100 psi so their product doesn't explode right when it hits 100 but wanted to know if anyone who has them has actually had a problem or is the all metal ones just a better piece of mind.

mikeandconnie

I had to change a few through the years for leaking so I always carry a spare or two and get them from the RV Tire Builder Tredit Tire .

NHCelt

As best as I can tell, there are no more tire valves made in the US. All off shore and most probably in China. Sure would be tough to win a war with all of our manufacturing gone to China...a bit off topic I guess. ;)

DenaliHD

I plan to upgrade to the G614s I have a 2012 Bighorn. The current tire pressure is 80psi are my rims ok to go to 110psi.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You need to look at the back side of your rims for that information.

Peace
Dave