Highway information

RKDAVE

I would greatly appreciate some feedback if anyone has towed a fifth wheel on Highway 389 to 59. We will be traveling from Flagstaff to Zion and wanted to know if the Highway is Fifth Wheel friendly. We will be coming up Highway 89 and it looks very fifth wheel friendly.

Thanks!!!

TedS

Met an rver last week at Grand Canyon who traveled 89 from Zion to Grand Canyon in a large motorhome, no problem. Just some construction detour at Page.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would greatly appreciate some feedback if anyone has towed a fifth wheel on Highway 389 to 59. We will be traveling from Flagstaff to Zion and wanted to know if the Highway is Fifth Wheel friendly. We will be coming up Highway 89 and it looks very fifth wheel friendly.

Thanks!!!

RKDave,
You will have no problem on 389 (AZ) and 59 (UT). I drive it all the time with my 40' Bighorn.

I would recommend taking 89A at Lee's Ferry to 389 in Fredonia, instead of going through Page on 89. It is a beautiful drive up through the Kaibab on a good road.
You will avoid a mess below Page on 89, with a detour after a huge slide last year. Trace

RKDAVE

Trace, thanks so much for your comprehensive response. I'm looking at my map and it says 89A takes you thru Marble Canyon, Vermillion Cliffs, Jacobs Lake, to Fredonia. Is that correct? Is there diesel fuel along the way? I sure appreciate your feedback!

Dave

TandT

RKDave,
Yes, that is the route.

I would fuel up in Flagstaff, then it's about 200 miles to Fredonia. There is a Chevron station at Jacob Lake, but I don't remember if they have diesel. (Brain fade, I think they do)
Even if they don't you should easily make it to Fredonia. You can stop at Judd's Chevron in Fredonia, or drive 7 miles north to Kanab.
We usually have better diesel prices here, as there are 7 stations in Kanab. Plus there are many choices to stop, take a break and eat in Kanab.

PM me with any questions. I drive the Southern Utah and AZ Strip areas everyday. Travel safe and enjoy the scenery. I love driving all these routes out here and there are absolutely no bad views.

Where are you staying at Zion? Trace

Last edited:

Lynn1130

They do have diesel at Jacob's Lake and like most small towns it is expensive. 89 is a good road but can be busy and is two lane with passing zones in places so it can get bogged down with slow traffic to the lake (and some of the local Res traffic). Once you make the turn toward Jacob's lake it will get better and there is a good steep climb to get there. You will not have a problem with the road on any leg but be aware that 89 is detoured, as Trace mentioned, on the leg to Page so the route through Jacobs's Lake will avoid the spot where 89 slid off down the mountain and is in repair.

Last edited:

L8APXER

TandT, wondering if a Landmark (13'3"+-) can make this trip? We are both a little longer and taller than both of you! I have a couple of other routes I would like to ask about if your open to it?
we are doing the "LOOP", Grand Canyon to Zion to Bryce to Capitol Reef to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands. Then up to SLC and home (CA).

TandT

My rig is 13' 2" high and 40' long and I have been virtually everywhere you mentioned.
I recommend buying a Rand McNally Truckers Atlas. It takes the guess work out of comfortable routes for larger rigs. Walmart has them.

There is only one height clearance issue that I know of in the areas you mentioned.
You CAN NOT go thru the tunnel on Hwy 9 in Zion National Park. (East entrance)
You must come from the south on 9 to get into the park itself, with your rig.
The other option is to camp just east of the park around Mt Carmel Junction and drive your TV into the park. Trace

L8APXER

Trace, thanks for the reply. We do have the atlas. I appreciate the perspective of a local person in addition to all other sources. 89alt is not listed as a truck route! But your saying its navigatable? Also the truck route on 12 going to Bryce stops west of the park then continues on the other side! Is there something hiding there. Thanks again,

TandT

L8APXER
Semi's drive 89A all the time.
For over a year it was the only route between Flag and Kanab, before the temp reroute was made available after the slide below Page.

As for Bryce, yes you can pull your rig all the way past on Hwy 12.
I intend to go that way to Moab next spring, rather than going on I 70, which is the way I normally go.

http://www.aaroads.com/west/ut-012.html

Trace

Last edited:

scottyb

RKDave, we will be following the same route except we will be coming from Monument Valley and hit 89A. We are headed to Kodachrome Basin SP for 5 days. Planning day trips from there. I have only been on 89A as far as Lees Ferry before, when I floated through the Grand Canyon. Looking forward to seeing Marble Canyon again.

BTW, for anybody that is interested in the history of Glen Canyon Dam, the Grand Canyon, and the Colorado River, I highly recommend the book "The Emerald Mile". I've read a couple dozen related books and this was the best. Very well done.