Hitch Question

Chippendale

I currently have a Reese Sliding 16K hitch in my pickup, and while there was some chucking and bumping with my old SOB, there was not near as much as I get with my new Gateway. I had just about decided to put a Mor/ryde pin box on the trailer and see if that would help. But before I got around to doing it, I found the Andersen 3200 (for rails) hitch and it's 5, five star, reviews on Amazon.

My question is, is anyone using the Andersen hitch, and if so, do they rate it as high as the reviewers on Amazon do? Does anyone know about any negatives in using this hitch? It is cheaper than a new pin box, and can be easily removed from the truck when not towing, so unless I hear otherwise, I think I may give it a try.

Thanks, will appreciate any feedback.

danemayer

Hi Chippendale,

The Andersen 3200 looks like it's a gooseneck type of hitch. Lippert, the frame manufacturer for your RV, doesn't support gooseneck hitches except for the Goosebox. The gooseneck adapter that attaches to the kingpin may increase the leverage and force applied to the trailer frame.

GOTTOYS

I disagree about it being a gooseneck type hitch. It's unusual in that it uses a ball type connection, but it is mounted up higher than a gooseneck conversion. There should be no additional leverage applied to the pin box using this hitch. I had considered one of these, but quite honestly it looks a bit fragile for me. Probably very safe and not a concern but I don't like to experiment with somewhat radical designs.. If it works as well as they claim it could be a good choice...JMHO..Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The mor/Ryde pin box would be a better choice. It stopped all the chucking on our BH. If you go this way....make sure you order it with the correct GWR of your coach.

Chippendale

In response to danemayer's earlier post, I found the following on another forum.

Here's what Andresen Hitches is offering for supplemental warranty to their Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection: "If a consumer or Dealer is denied warranty coverage by an RV manufacturer, Trailer Frame manufacturer or King Pin manufacturer, because of failure or damage alleged to have been caused by use of the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection (gooseneck or rail mount), and it is proven that the damage/failure was caused by use of the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, then Andersen Manufacturing (d.b.a. Andersen Hitches) will cover said failure or damage up to $5,000,000 (five million dollars) and pay the End User an additional $500 (five hundred dollars) for inconvenience." They provided this in a written document for me.

After reading this post on another forum, I called Andersen's Texas customer rep in their home office, and he verified that they had this insurance policy and encouraged me to call Lippert and confirm that Lippert approved the Andersen hitch along with the Goosebox. I have not called Lippert, I figured he would not have suggested it if he knew they didn't approve it. Based on the $500 inconvenience payment, it looks like you have little risk in trying it. Based on this and the other reviews I have read about it, I think I am going to give it a try.

danemayer

and it is proven that the damage/failure was caused by use of the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, then Andersen Manufacturing (d.b.a. Andersen Hitches) will cover said failure or damage up to $5,000,000 (five million dollars) and pay the End User an additional $500 (five hundred dollars) for inconvenience."

I've highlighted the key words.

Don's point about it being a ball hitch is well taken. If the adapter that goes on the kingpin isn't too long, maybe it's not much of an issue.

I'd suggest you call Lippert to verify the rep's claim that Lippert supports using this hitch.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Since I have never owned a 5th wheel set up, but ample gooseneck set ups...let me ask a question. The Andersen set up requires a ball installed in your truck to use their rail system. Last time I priced a BW turnover installed it was $650, add the $500 plus for the rail system, depending on if you buy the extender system or not. What are you really accomplishing? If you already have the BW system, why not buy their fifth wheel companion, it just drops in when you take the ball out. I personally like the gooseneck set ups but if you have to pay to prove the Andersen system failed, that could run into $$$..defeating all good intentions....just my thoughts..........

GOTTOYS

Since I have never owned a 5th wheel set up, but ample gooseneck set ups...let me ask a question. The Andersen set up requires a ball installed in your truck to use their rail system. Last time I priced a BW turnover installed it was $650, add the $500 plus for the rail system, depending on if you buy the extender system or not. What are you really accomplishing? If you already have the BW system, why not buy their fifth wheel companion, it just drops in when you take the ball out. I personally like the gooseneck set ups but if you have to pay to prove the Andersen system failed, that could run into $$$..defeating all good intentions....just my thoughts..........
The Anderson hitch also makes version that can be attached to rails if your truck is equipped with them. I do agree with you regarding the use of a gooseneck ball if you already have one installed. In that event I would choose a B&W Companion hands down, only because of all the positive responses I have seen about them..Don

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
I saw the video and was impressed by the product. As said before, I really like the gooseneck set ups. But then that is what works best for me on the ranch. Very easy to hook up and you can remove the system from the truck when not towing and have your bed back for other uses.
I have checked out other gooseneck adapters but unfortunately the mfg of the RV's won't honor the warranty for using such set ups. They claim it places too much stress on the frame above the pin box. One mfg did
tell me they would honor the frame warranty as long as the fifth wheel bedroom did not have a slide out...and would put this in writing, before purchase.

You know what will work for you, and as long as Andersen has the warranty, the decision you make will be a good one! One way or the other. Just remember that should Lippert not honor the warranty, you will have to
pay out of your own pocket to prove the Andersen system caused the problems...Once you make the decision, don't look back. Best of luck!!! Let us know how it works for you.

Chippendale

[FONT=&quot]I do already have the rails installed in my truck, so I would only be out the cost of the hitch which is about $350 to $400 (cheaper than the Mor/Ryde pin box) depending on where you purchase it. As for positive responses, here is a link to the Andersen "Rails" model 3200 on Amazon.

[/FONT] http://www.amazon.com/3200-Ultimate...=8-16&keywords=andersen+hitch#customerReviews

[FONT=&quot]Also, here is a link to reviews of the model 3225 which installs on a regular goose neck hitch.

[/FONT] http://www.amazon.com/3200-Ultimate...=8-16&keywords=andersen+hitch#customerReviews

I think there are about 21 total reviews and they are all 5 star. This sounds almost too good to be true, and in my original post, I was hoping that a Heartland owner was using one of them and would share his/her experiences with me.
It is too late today to call Lippert and get their side of the story, but I will do so in the morning. In the meantime, here is link to a video about the hitch. Granted it is put out by Andersen, so it may be a little biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=78l-PadWAro

PS: I don't work for Andersen.