Hitch weight for 3100

Kimjaco

Hi, I don't see the official hitch weight listed on the Heartland website for the cyclone 3100. Does anyone know what it is before we look to seriously at one. Thank you.

With the trailer empty and no added options from the factory then it could possibly be 2400lbs. I weighed my truck unhitched, then hitched to the trailer. My 2014 Cyclone 3100 added 3108lbs to the rear axle weight of the truck. Trailer was loaded full of water, 2 atv's, clothes and gear. Trailer has the 5500 generator.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It has been my experience that the true pin weight has always been more that what the factory specs are. For example we added a washer and dryer which adds more weight to the pin. How about all of stuff in the basement and all of the stuff you put in the closet.

DW_Gray

The safest assumption is to figure the pin weight will be 25% of the GVWR and make sure the tow vehicle rear axle rating that will carry that weight.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The pin weight of an empty 3100 is going to roughly be around 2400-2600 lbs. depending on the options that you have. The hard part of a toy hauler is pin weights can drastically change by adding items in the rear garage or filling your water tanks. When loading a toy hauler you can kind of think of it as a giant teader-todder generally speaking for every 2 lbs. you add to the garage you remove about 1lb. of pin weight (this is different from unit to unit). Also when you add water to your fresh water tanks (which are located in front of the axles) this will also add weight to your pin weight.

DW_Gray

The pin weight of an empty 3100 is going to roughly be around 2400-2600 lbs. depending on the options that you have. The hard part of a toy hauler is pin weights can drastically change by adding items in the rear garage or filling your water tanks. When loading a toy hauler you can kind of think of it as a giant teader-todder generally speaking for every 2 lbs. you add to the garage you remove about 1lb. of pin weight (this is different from unit to unit). Also when you add water to your fresh water tanks (which are located in front of the axles) this will also add weight to your pin weight.

AJ,

I appreciate the feedback and providing a general formula for toy haulers. I’m not convinced by realistic numbers that a formula is a good catch-all for all toy haulers. I suspect overall length of a toy hauler has greater play in attempting to determine what the pin weight may be based on the weight loaded in the garage.

Here’s my realistic example:

(Before loading anything in the garage.)
RVSEF weigh-in pin weight -
8/6/2010 – 3,600 pounds
6/14/2011 – 3,725 pounds

(After loading the garage with a 1,825 pound Smart car.)
RVSEF weigh-in pin weight -
7/8/2013 – 3,400 pounds

At this point in time and with the very limited weight data that I have been able to acquire and was provided by a respected RV Weighmaster, I will only recommend the formula I presented the thread above.

Here’s why:

1. 25% is the standard maximum pin weight any 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel or gooseneck trailer should weigh.
  2. Using the 25% formula correctly will ensure the prospective vehicle buyer will seek sufficient rear axle load to carry the maximum allowed pin weight of any 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel or gooseneck trailer.
  3. Using the 25% formula correctly will ensure that 100% of the buyers will have good safety and powertrain margins for towing on any road condition.

My acquired data indicates the average pin weight is 20%. A person could use that as their formula and may get by with it. On the other hand, they may realize their tow vehicle rear axle is disappointingly overweight. I will always lean on the side of having a little more axle load rating available than what one may think they’ll need. Hence, the 25% formula I recommend for all 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel and gooseneck trailers. I have had enough clients contact me the past two years who leaned too late that their tow vehicle rear axle was overloaded by a new RV purchase too convince me to use the 25% formula.

If I could acquire additional scaled weight data, I could perform additional analysis.