HL Fifth Wheel Trailer Suspensions...

Cjackg

Do any of the Heartland Fifth Wheels offer a suspension other than the stack of leaf springs I see under my new Cyclone Toyhauler? I am kinda disappointed that there is no Shock Absorber used with the base suspension.

In 1999, I towed a Holiday Rambler Fifth wheel from Florida to Alaska and back and it had leaf springs but with an oem Shock Absorber on each side to cushion the suspension. It towed very steady and without a lot of bouncing and swaying. Does anyone offer a Shock on these trailers now? Sure seems like a low cost way to improve the suspension...

I have noticed my new Cyclone trailer bouncing a lot on Interstate Hwys that have long rolling stretches or lengthy rough sections. The effect is more like a rolling, loping, bounce instead of what I normally think of as "Chucking". I am about to experiment with Airbag pressure and Bilstein shocks on the truck to try to limit this some but now have to wonder if a leaf spring suspension with absolutly no cushioning devices will get any better...

I am interested in ways to improve the ride & tow handling and may consider the Mor/Ryde Independent Suspension upgrade for my Cyclone but would be interested to hear if there are other options to improve the ride and handling.

Speedy

Most of the shocks mounted on 5th wheels today are more for looks than actual damping. The angle at which they are welded is so shallow they little to no effect on ride quality. Don't waste your money on shocks and just go right to the Mor/Ryde suspension system.

scottyb

An air ride pin box will help with the porpoising. Honestly, I expected mine to ride much worse, when I bought it. I rarely even have items shifted in the cabinets or fridge. The only place that seems to get shuffled is the garage, if we encounter rough enough roads. Maybe it's because it is heavier or maybe it's the 5th Airborne pin box

Majestic

We installed Lipperts Center Point Air suspention, 2nd unit we did this, took me 6 hrs to install. Great ride!