Holding tanks monitors

Dee

Hi Gang not real sure where to put this one, as it is electrical but also plumbing related.
Has anyone changed out the stock monitors for the newer external mounted gages?
I have a 2007 Bighorn and all my sensors are acting wrong. and I am ready to change to something that works and am hoping there is such a thing?
My RV can sit for weeks with all valves open at home and obviously not being used and they all show 2/3 full except for the fresh which actually seems to work most of the time.
I can get by by listening to the black water tank burp, but it would sure be nice to know where things are at!
Dee

GOTTOYS

I haven't looked at mine in a couple years. Why try and depend on something that might not work? When we park we leave the gray tanks open and the black tank closed. When the toilet burps we dump. Nothing more than that. This has worked for us for years...Don

rxbristol

I know what you mean. Winnegabo uses the external ones and they work great, easier to install, and never give false readings. I don't know why the whole RV industry does not go to the external sensors.

Lynn1130

Here is something that might interest you. Especially the research that was done on what cause the problem that you and many of us have had with indicators that do not work properly and tank smells.

http://www.tanktechs.com/

SeattleLion

I haven't looked at mine in a couple years. Why try and depend on something that might not work? When we park we leave the gray tanks open and the black tank closed. When the toilet burps we dump. Nothing more than that. This has worked for us for years...Don

I never heard of this before. What do you mean by "burps"?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've looked at them, too. Not sure if it's worth the cost and effort to install, though. On a Class A, it looks pretty easy, but they don't show a video of crawling under a 5'er with a coroplast underside and trying to install it lying on your back with your hands above your head. When the toilet burps seems to be a good enough indicator. Actually, I can tell by the "tone" of the flush when it's getting near the burp stage. Normally when it's ready, the two grays are too.

scottyb

I would think that any sensor would be subject to the same fate if it is not protected from the solids. On wastewater lift stations and treatment plants, whatever type of level sensor is used, has to be shielded from the solids. This is usually done with the use of a vertical piece of pipe that is suspended a few inches off the floor of the wet well or better known as a stilling well. You see the same thing in the brine tank on a water softener. It could be easily done in the holding tanks with a PVC pipe, during installation.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would think that any sensor would be subject to the same fate if it is not protected from the solids. On wastewater lift stations and treatment plants, whatever type of level sensor is used, has to be shielded from the solids. This is usually done with the use of a vertical piece of pipe that is suspended a few inches off the floor of the wet well or better known as a stilling well. You see the same thing in the brine tank on a water softener. It could be easily done in the holding tanks with a PVC pipe, during installation.
The Seelevel (brochure link..different than link I posted previously) system uses adhesive strips that mount on the outside of the tank.

brianharrison

I had purchased a SeeLevel system to retrofit my Landmark internal sensors however I have not installed it. The front of my tanks are not flush vertically and have an lip that is offset where the upper sensor is currently located. This will prevent the addition of the flat, externally mounted sensor strip to cover the entire tank volume. I have not yet engineered a solution, but I am still working on it.....

Brian

Attachments

• DSC05170.jpg
    DSC05170.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC05171.jpg
    DSC05171.jpg
    597.5 KB · Views: 82

rxbristol

I had purchased a SeeLevel system to retrofit my Landmark internal sensors however I have not installed it. The front of my tanks are not flush vertically and have an lip that is offset where the upper sensor is currently located. This will prevent the addition of the flat, externally mounted sensor strip to cover the entire tank volume. I have not yet engineered a solution, but I am still working on it.....

Brian

Worst case scenario is that top half is not monitored and when your tanks read full you'll have a safety buffer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Worst case scenario is that top half is not monitored and when your tanks read full you'll have a safety buffer.

I know . . .

Funny, we just got back last Monday from a week of camping up in Estes Park, Colorado were I cleaned out my waste tank and it read empty when we left the campground, but now as it sits next to my house, it is reading half full! :confused:

I put about 5-gallons of water and one of those tank 'mints' to keep the aroma down, so it should still be reading empty.

I have one of those hose wands with the circulating spray nozzle that does a good job of clearing out the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If I recall correctly, the spin-on, through-the-wall sensors work based on conductance between them. If there is solid debris stuck to the walls between them, or even liquid with suspended solids, they will read to the higher sensor. In a perfect world, if the liquid drops a 1/2" below the full sensor and there is no conductive path, the readout would say 2/3.

I don't know how the SeeLevel system detects the level inside the tank, since it's surface mounted to the outside. Ultrasound? Wall flex? Cosmic waves? Whatever it is, when the toilet flush makes a louder sound, "fahwomp," it's near full. When you get a bubble up through the flush water when you open the valve, it's time. After a while, you get to know about how long you can go (no pun) before the black tank needs attention.

wdk450

I don't know how the SeeLevel system detects the level inside the tank, since it's surface mounted to the outside. Ultrasound? Wall flex? Cosmic waves? Whatever it is, when the toilet flush makes a louder sound, "fahwomp," it's near full. When you get a bubble up through the flush water when you open the valve, it's time. After a while, you get to know about how long you can go (no pun) before the black tank needs attention.

John:
I believe the SeeLevel system uses capacitive coupling to measure tank levels.
Brian:
Have you talked to SeeLevel Technical support at: http://www.rvgauge.com/contact_us.shtml ?

Lynn1130

I posted some info earlier but this YouTube gives a little better idea of what can happen in older tanks and can stop sensors from working properly as well as clog tanks. I AM NOT selling this stuff so take this for informational purposes only. Do, however, look up Struvites to see what is happening in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI6luXfpdtc

brianharrison

John:
Brian:
Have you talked to SeeLevel Technical support at: http://www.rvgauge.com/contact_us.shtml ?

Bill, I have not, and will when I get around to that job. I have a pretty good idea of a solution, just have not had the time to drop choroplast and play around. It is a time consuming exercise to add external strips and calibrate (fill/empty tanks to cycle 0-100%). Interestingly, the company HQ is based out of a small town in Central Alberta, just up the road from me.....

Brian

Tallyrver

Our last coach had the external tank sensors on it, I wouldn't waste my money on them again. The grey tank would read 1/3 full and water would back up into the shower. That's how I knew the tank was full.
Wayne

mobilcastle

I have seen people handle there tanks differently. Some leave bedroom open all the time and some leave both grays open all the time. If you camp all the time what do you think is the best way to handle tanks when you are on full hookups?
Thanks
Steve