Hot Water Problem

Big-B

Help,

We are on our way to Arizona from Michigan and when I turned the bypass valve for the water heater to un-bypass it we get only partial hot water. It acts like it's not choosing just hot water but mixing hot and cold. I did have a problem last year with the lever rounding out where it fits on the rectangular brass valve. I was able to swap out handles from the winterizing valve. It is in the non bypass position.

Help. It's shower time.

Or maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the bypass valve but I can't imagine what that would be. I have the water heater turned on electric.

ksucats

Make sure that your outside shower hot and cold are shut off. Seems a common problem that these are left open and that causes mixing which, in turn, gives you the 'cooler' than desired shower.

Hope this is the problem and you get hot water quickly.

CoveredWagon

Make sure that your outside shower hot and cold are shut off. Seems a common problem that these are left open and that causes mixing which, in turn, gives you the 'cooler' than desired shower.

Im betting on this. �� probably opened the outdoor shower valves during wintrizing.
No I didn’t do that,,,,,,,,yet ��

Big-B

That fixed it. Thanks so much for the help. I would have never figured it out on my own, in spite of being a do it yourselfer.

Big-B

Well ya did do it yourself, right 😉
Sure did. Next year when I winterize it I'll make sure to shut the valves when I put antifreeze in it. I didn't want to flush the anti freeze out of the outside shower until I was sure we were out of the cold temps. I won't make the same mistake again. Thanks again guys.

CoveredWagon

Sure did. Next year when I winterize it I'll make sure to shut the valves when I put antifreeze in it. I didn't want to flush the anti freeze out of the outside shower until I was sure we were out of the cold temps. I won't make the same mistake again. Thanks again guys.

Personally I prefer to winterize by blowing down the system, then pouring antifreeze in the traps and the toilet that way I know when all the valves are closed.