Hot Water Tank Sacrificial Anode

Piperflyer

[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]I was surprised to find out how many owners of Suburban Hot Water Tanks don't realize their is a Magnesium Anode Rod in their tanks. This rod needs to be changed out every so often, depending on the quality of water going into the water tank heater.
I usually check mine every 6 months and it usually needs replacement by then This depends on all the different parks we stay in as full timers
Basically what the anode does is, it extends the water heater tank life and attracts the harmful water deposits/contaminants in your tank.
The Anode deteriorates over time and eventually will just end up with nothing left of it.
I added a picture of a good one and one that has started to deteriorate.
It's an easy $12 replacement along with a good tank flush, that will keep you tank in good condition and not deteriorate from within.

[/FONT]

View attachment 61266View attachment 61267

Lynn1130

I have a water softener and have not had to change the rod in several years. I check it every so often but it looks pretty close to new. On dry camp trips I fill the tanks with water going through the softener.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Most folks change theirs to often, there still good till 75% gone. I filter all my water and get years out of my anode rods.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Most folks change theirs to often, there still good till 75% gone. I filter all my water and get years out of my anode rods.

Same here. In 10 years, I've changed it once. Even then, it probably still had some life left in it. But the CG water we use is from a clean well and of pretty high quality. The TDS is actually lower than what we get at home (from a municipal well system).

MTPockets

We were full time almost five years so heater was on constantly. Replaced well worn rod about every 12 months. We too were always on Softcell water softener. 90% of time heating with electric, not sure if electric vs propane matters, but FYI.

carl.swoyer

The only thing to add is you need to flush the tank out using a tank wand every time. https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01...t=&hvlocphy=9032167&hvtargid=pla-436784995661

The anode rod is also referred to as a sacrificial rod. It deteriorates instead of the walls of your tank and you need to clean out the sediment.
Mlpeloquin,
I add a little distilled vinegar from the top and let it sit over night. It breaks down the calcium. I open the bottom and turn the water on

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk