How big is big enough or too big

jt4doors

Hello, I am a brand new member and our first attempt as fifth wheel owners was a hard core learning experience. We got a great deal on a 2011 32' Rockwood Ultralight. It seemed great, light and cheap and very nice inside and out....big mistake. the guy in the storage unit next to us hit it with his trailer and we replaced the awning and door...minor repair and everything was fine until about 4 short trips later when the floor dropped an inch and started pulling away from the stairs and kitchen cabinets. After a long battle with the insurance and many repair shops over the last 2 years it was finally deemed a total loss and we are needless to say looking for something a little more solid. We have beat the market to death and concluded that the Bighorn is "The one" along with a couple others if the price is right. I am open for any and all suggestions as we are not that familiar this product and value opinions base on experience such as you all have. We know we want rear living with Jack and Jill Bathroom, like the 3270RS. My biggest question is how long is too long or heavy for a weekend warrior with a 2013 F-250 diesel. Please advise. Thanks, Jerry T.

jimtoo

Hi jt4doors,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get lots suggestions and info from our members soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
When we were weekend warriors, a good length was between 35 to 38 feet long. That is a great lengths to get into a lot of state and national parks but still have plenty of interior room.

Dumboldles

We have a BH 3010RE (35 ft) and this is the smallest model in the BH line. I pull it with a 2500 Duramax Diesel. DW and I really enjoy this size and our TV handles this size with no problems. I think that you will be happy with the Heartland brand of 5th wheels. Now find you a dealer that is close by and you feel comfortable with.

Dumboldles

alwaysbusy

JT,
If there is one thing I've learned, everyone has their own preference. What works for others, may not be your cup of tea. Find what you like, what your comfortable towing and what meets your families wants and desires as the opinion that matters in the end is yours. As long as your tow figures are on, journey on.

halfcam79

Hello, could you give me the wheel base, cab, bed size, trans and gear ratio and I can find your tow ratings. I bought our camper for the wife and I. Who knows if the boys will go. I figure with the boys in college they will have better things to do... I kept the RV gross weight 1200 lbs under the truck gross trailer towing capacity and the tongue weight is at 1400 lbs. My trailer is 11000 lbs gross weight and 30 FT. I pull it with a 2014 F-250 6.2L with 6sp torque shift. Camper is a Sundance 275RE and is just right for us.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

jt4doors

Thanks all, some great info. Now it's just a matter of finding it. Prices sure don't seem to be going down, at least in NorCal, keeping our eyes out for a 1 or 2 year old non-lived in model. Hopefully soon I will be able to login as a proud Heartland Owner. I like this forum alot...thanks again, Jerry T.

P.S. Jeff, my truck is a short bed F-250 Deisel (I think it is the 6.2) not sure what gear ratio or wheel base, crew cab short bed...

alexb2000

I have a 2016 F250 6.7 crew shorted. I have airbags w/ onboard compressor (a must) and a B&W hitch that uses the gooseneck attachment hole. With this setup I am comfortable towing 10-12K LB. trailers (empty weight). I would move to a dually beyond that. People tow more with the same truck, but I want to be comfortable in any set of driving conditions.

Gaffer

Thanks all, some great info. Now it's just a matter of finding it. Prices sure don't seem to be going down, at least in NorCal, keeping our eyes out for a 1 or 2 year old non-lived in model. Hopefully soon I will be able to login as a proud Heartland Owner. I like this forum alot...thanks again, Jerry T.

P.S. Jeff, my truck is a short bed F-250 Deisel (I think it is the 6.2) not sure what gear ratio or wheel base, crew cab short bed...

Take your VIN to your local ford dealer and have them print out the build sheet.

mlpeloquin

Take your VIN to your local ford dealer and have them print out the build sheet.

All the information is necessary to make sure you do not buy a fifth wheel that your truck cannot tow safely. Please get the information so that you know the maximum weight of a fifth wheel you can tow and the maximum pin weight that can be put in the bed. All weight in the truck must be included for the trucks gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). This is the maximum operating weight as specified by the manufacturer including the vehicle's chassis body, engine, engine fluids, fuel, accessories, driver, passengers, pets, and cargo. This excludes the weight of the trailer, but not the weight of the hitch and pin weight. So do bring your VIN to the dealer and get its specifications. The gear ratio is a very important part of how much the truck can pull.

LTZ

California-N Chapter Leaders-retired
Hi Jerry, good talking with you today. If we can help with anything give us ring.

Chuck