How can we stop the 5th wheel jerking while towing?

wyleyrabbit

Our hitch has an adjustment bolt in the front-middle. We had chucking at first, but after I adjusted that, it's great.

sunflower

In all my years of doing this I am totally convinced the biggest contributer to chucking and bucking is improper set up(high front) and lack of hitch weight.It has absolutely nothing to do with brake controllers or brake set up.Brakes don't affect ride.There is some degree of factor of ride issue with freeway harmonics-length of slabs to distance of TV wheelbase and trailer length and wheelbase.Those can be lessened by certain hitches.Many good products out there be sure to buy them if a proper set up is done first.

caissiel

I was at the Mor-Ryde site and they have different videos about this chucking problem. As far as my setup with my 15 year old hitch, and the F250 I have no such problems.

My previous 1/2 ton and 1/4 ton trucks and smaller trailer created small chucking, I blamed it on the weakness of the springs allowing the drive train to vibrate under load.

Thats why the dragsters have rear end bars to hold it straight. We have to realize that our TV's are not on a 1/4 mile strips, they are on an ever ending strip and at max power at every hill.

SilverRhino

Thats why the dragsters have rear end bars to hold it straight. We have to realize that our TV's are not on a 1/4 mile strips, they are on an ever ending strip and at max power at every hill.

I think the bars have more to do with not allowing the car to stand on it's tail than keeping it straight. When you get sideways with a drag car, I don't think the "wheelie bars" will do much to straighten you out.

Just my observation.

Travel Safe...on or off the "strip"!

porthole

Retired
I think the bars have more to do with not allowing the car to stand on it's tail than keeping it straight. When you get sideways with a drag car, I don't think the "wheelie bars" will do much to straighten you out.

Just my observation.

Travel Safe...on or off the "strip"!

Wouldn't be the wheelie bars - they have a specific purpose and are quite a science to balance front end lift and unloading the rear tires.

porthole

Retired
I meant traction bars that are attached to the rear ends.

Got it. Their purpose is to keep the rear axle from winding up under the car countering the torque. Helps keep the driveshaft in the trans too on high HP street cars with standard suspension.

Helps to also minimize squat, forcing the axle down and the body up

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
We solved our chucking with a Mor Ryde Pin box. The thing I like about the Mor Ryde is not part to adjust or air bags to inflate.
Regards
Wayne