How cold is too cold?

danemayer

Never thought to check it. After I saw your message I went and it was bone dry. I popped all the caps and filled all the cells. Got it up and running on genset with the battery a few hours later. Good call! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may have a problem with the Power Converter.

danemayer

Such as? What should I check for?

Check the Power Converter output voltage at the battery. You probably have a Progressive 9200 which has 3 modes controlled by a microprocessor. In storage, plugged into shore power, the output should probably be 13.2 V DC most of the time. If the converter is sending higher voltage all the time, I think that can boil off the water in the battery.

The manuals can be found here.

14.4 Volts (Boost Mode) – Returned the battery to 90% of full charge in approximately 8 hours. The battery
reached full charge in approximately 11 hours.
13.6 Volts (Normal Mode) – Required 40 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 78 hours to reach
full charge.
13.2 Volts (Storage Mode) – Required 60 hours to return the battery to 90% of full charge and 100 hours to reach
full charge

Nbomar

Well I figured out today that it will crank perfect when I'm hooked to shore power and run fine after I unhook, but it will not even attempt to crank when not plugged in to shore power (on battery power only). Battery bad? Thoughts?

danemayer

Well I figured out today that it will crank perfect when I'm hooked to shore power and run fine after I unhook, but it will not even attempt to crank when not plugged in to shore power (on battery power only). Battery bad? Thoughts?

You could take the battery to a NAPA or Autozone and have it tested, but it sounds like you're going to buy another one.