How did you cut the dump valve cable???

chasdvorak

Quick question??? I'm installing new dump valves and pull cables this week (hopefully). Any suggestion for tools/methods for cutting the pull cable/cable housings to proper length? My current cables are getting really tight and need to be replaced before something breaks. Thanks in advance for all the great advice.

Chuck

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Chuck, I don't think you can change the length of the cable.
Maybe, but I doubt it. It should be purchased at the length you need.
But, if you have to use the longer one I think that there is a gizmo that you can buy that is used to lube cables on motorcycles.
A good lube job before installation would certainly smooth out the operation.

Here is an interesting item I found on Ebay.
And more HERE.

See you in Amana.

Peace
Dave

dbbls59

I did not cut mine when I installed new ones. Just loop them around and leave them long. Getting them too short may cause some sharp bends which would make it hard to operate.

jnbhobe

Chuck, I'm with Dave I don't think you can cut the cables. The cable lubers work good but you'll have to do it from below.

Miltp920

I inspected my cables after removing the under camper covering. There was much play in the cables by design. Both ends are held in place, so slack is not an issue.

donr827

When my cables get a little hard to pull I will pull the cable out as far as possible and spray with a dry silicone spray. Work it back and forth several times and they start working a lot better..................Don

happykraut

My black gate was leaking a bit and the cable was kind of springy. At the factory they found out that they had installed the wrong cable. They replaced it with a shorter one. Now the pull is more positive and not leaking.

chasdvorak

Thanks for all the replies - I'm going to jump into the project and see what I can salvage. The black tank cable is way too long and it appears to be wound in a loop. My thought is to keep the cable as straight as possible to eliminate friction. I read that the manufacturer required at least a 6" clearance before you try to angle the cable. I'd also like to secure the cable along the route with zip ties. I'll take some pictures and write up my under belly adventure when it's completed.

Safe travels,

Chuck

brianharrison

Hi Chuck,

the gentler the radius bend on the cable the better to prevent cable binding in the sleeve. IF it is just way too long, I have cut cable sleeves in the past with a good pair of linesmen pliers, or a cable cutter. Make sure you pull the cable far enough back so you do not cut the cable while you are cutting the sleeve (of course). I have rounded out the sleeve and deburred the inside of the sleeve (usually metal) before I have reinserted the cable so it pokes out the end.

As well, Valterra (manufacturer) also recommends no tighter of a 90 degree bend than 12".

Hope this helps.
Brian

cgunn

Ya Know.... My cables are really stiff to operate. I'm hoping that one day one of them doesn't break off.
That scares me!! I read in a post above that someone lubes them with a dry lube.
I'm wondering how that works and if you can get it down inside the cable very far.
Chuck I will be curious to see how your "project" turns out.
I have a 2008 3055RL Bighorn myself so depending on your model,it should be similar.
Let us know how it goes.

Thanks

chasdvorak

Success....so I tackled then job of replacing all of the valves and dump cables on my 2009 BH 3580RL. It was a full day of work, which was not a surprise based on my limited experience as an RV mechanic (the folks who attended the Illinois rally a few years back can attest to that based on our wheel bearing maintenance clinic). This was definitely worth the effort and I took a bunch of pictures. I will put together a document once summer decides to slow down a bit, but here's the extended Readers Digest version.

I ordered all 3 of the dump valves and cables from Heartland and took advantage of the HOC discount. The pricing competitive and the valves and pull cables are identical to the original Valtera equipment. I decided to cut 2 of the cables to length instead of leaving them at 120". I tried a bunch of techniques including a Dremel tool and heavy duty wire cutters, but the hack saw and vise worked best. Be sure to back out the cable when cutting the cable housing and don't apply too much pressure with the vise. The cable housing has a plastic coating inside which was easily opened after the cut with a drill bit at a very slow speed. I also used a file to smooth out the metal portion of the housing. I was surprised to find that the old cable actually looked great and operated smoothly when removed from the valve and coach. There was some rust on the handle, but the actual cable and housing was clean and had no significant signs of rust or aging.

Dropping the belly was a lot easier than anticipated. I did not drop the entire belly but only removed enough screws to access the areas of the valves. I used a small Sears lithium battery impact drive and it worked great. I used a Phillips screwdriver to locate and line up the holes when reinstalling the screws.

The valves are in there tight and it was necessary to remove the valve housing section that locks in the cable housing and actual valve. I used Vaseline to hold the rubber gaskets in place while installing the new valves. I also cut a section of the 3" black water pipe which allowed me to move the 3" and a 1.5" valve to facilitate the installation of the new valves. I used a rubber sleeve to reconnect the pipe after the valves were installed. I plan to add some strapping to this pipe to firm up the repair since it was so close to the hose outlet and had some a slight wiggle before I modified it.

So.......the problem with all three of the valves was due to excess glue which was applied during production of my coach. The glue is used to weld the valve fitting to the pipe and in each case, I had to carefully trim hardened glue from the original valve fittings. I used the old fittings to mount the new valves (the new valves came with fittings, but I didn't want to cut and patch pipe). I used the original fittings, but swapped out the old valve, valve housing and screws.

I used the old cable to measure the length for the new cables and actually cut the 1.5" cables to a length (less than the original 120"). I did not cut the 3" valve cable because it had to make a 180 degree turn to get to the panel. I made that turn using two 90 degree angles and left 18-20" of cable between the valve and turns. I zip tied the heck out of the cable housings at several locations to add stability to the system.

One mistake I discovered was a repair I previously made when a pull handle separated from the cable. I used the small hose clamp/threaded screw method which works extremely well. The problem is that I added epoxy putty over the clamps and cable to ensure it held in place. When I was finished with the epoxy, it looked like some mud wasps set up camp for eternity. Unfortunately, the epoxy was too large to fit through the hole in the UDC and I had to hacksaw the darn thing off in order to remove the old cable. This was overkill on my part and was not necessary for this type of repair (which worked well for the past 2 years).

In closing, my valves were tight to operate from the beginning. The black water always leaked and I could see how the glue settled in the valve blade ridges. I also think the glue messed up the alignment of the knife blade and allowed junk to settle in the grooves. As time went on, my valves got tighter and leaked in greater amounts. In the end, I had three tight valves, two leakers and a broken but repaired pull handle. An absolute must in my book is the twist on valve which got me through these problems and which I will continue to use, just in case. The really cool part was to see the valves operate as designed. I can easily move them with two fingers instead of a vise grip and pull. Happy camper status has been re-established.

Safe Travels,

Chuck

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome Chuck. Thanks for the update and information.
This is sure to help someone in the future.

Peace
Dave