How do I adjust Slide Topper

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
The topper over our LR/dinette slide appears to be loose. It holds water and sags when in the opened position. I know there is a SUPER spring that operates the topper, but is it something we can adjust or tighten, or let a dealer do it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Betty, I think that all the slide toppers of that length will pool water and sag. The center lenght of the roller tube will flex and allow that to start along with the stretch of the awning material.
You could adjust it, but be aware that it is spring loaded and can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.
Another thing to be aware of is that if you make it too tight it could prevent the top of the slide from going all the way out.
If it is taut when you open the slide, I would leave it alone.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

hoefler

If the fabric is tight when the slide is in, it is properly adjusted. Like said above, on the longer slides, the tube will flex a little allowing the fabric to sag and pool water, completly normal.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The topper on my main slide is about as tight as it can be, but it does sag a bit in the center and will hold water. Found that out the first time we used it in chilly weather. The thin ice sheet that crashed down when I was retracting the slide almost made me mess my drawers. Welcome to 5'ers.

To remedy that, I copied another forum member's idea of using PVC pipe to construct a support system for it. Inexpensive, easy to construct, and it works. Comes apart and takes up very little storage space.

The other three toppers I have are shorter and do not pool water.

Bobby A

Some of our friends put blow up beach balls in, anothers do as Johndar said and construct a PVC devise.

brianharrison

Here is a link to fabric replacement and spring adjustment for Dometic toppers. Dometic AE Slide Topper

It is like the garage door spring --> be carefull, there is a lot of "sprung" energy and if unsure, have a qualified tech look after the job.

Brian

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Thanks everyone. I have "experienced" the sheet of ice PHENOMENON as well. Scared the living tar out of me this past Christmas. I thought the windows had blown out. Pictures of the PVC application would be helpful. The inflatable raft sounds like an easy remedy as well. We had to repair our patio awning on one of our pull trailers one time, so I am well aware of the spring system in awnings, so I won't be messing with that. Trust me! I was just hoping for an easy and safe way to make an adjustment.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Thanks a bunch, John. Very ingenious. I think that is the way to go. And yes, I do ask ALOT of questions. Just ask Cookie! Have a good night. :)