How do i know if i have a backflow preventer?

ccrider

Ok. So I think i got the process down for the black tank flush/rinse. 2 questions: Do i need a backflow preventer attached to the hose when i do a black tank rinse, or is there one installed on the rv? All i see is a port to hook up the hose for the rinse process.

What position should the andersen 4 way valve be in? Or does it not matter for a black tank rinse

rxbristol

There should already be a back flow device installed...it's code. The Anderson valve makes no difference, just make sure you're connected to the rinse connection and not to your fresh water fill. Also, it's a good idea to find the back flow device installed somewhere in your RV to make sure it's not installed backwards and not leaking. I had one rig where it was installed backwards and one that was leaking. If you cannot find it, make sure someone is inside the rig the first time you flush to make sure fresh water is not gushing out somewhere because the back flow device is installed incorrectly. What type of RV do you have?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
DO NOT turn on the black tank flush without a pressure regulator. Take my word for that.....don't ask.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The anti-siphon valve looks like this and is typically hidden in the wall space. Some are found behind the shower stall (access port) or above the toilet where you can't get at it without cutting a hole in the wall. That's where mine.

I'm sure there is a back flow preventer already installed on your rig. I have an additional one at the spigot because I use a splitter for my fresh and black water supply.

ccrider

Ok thanks everybody. I begged the dealer to get me the owners manuals but the previous owner somehow took it with him by accident along with a Led controller (left strip on rv)and promised to look for it. Well he owns a boating business and is very busy he says so I got sick of asking for it. That's what happens when you buy used although mine was like new so I am happy. All the manuals here cover a range of HL rvs/ component manufacturers which is a bummer. I have to know who my manufacturer of my components are before I look for help. At least heart land should have then on their site. My th is only 2 years old! This is what I'm talking about. One generic manual. All the parts diagrams here are great as long as u know what models you have. Now, I'm referring to pumps, hydraulic equipment etc.. I'm a newbie to rvs but I bought a used road master and it had all different manuals for the different components (dometic fridge, Atwood furnace, etc)