How Do I open Awning

We just purchased a 2008 Heartland North Trail Travel Travel. It has 1 slide out and 28 long.

We noticed some softening of the material in the front of the trailer. Probably due to a leak.

Otherwise it is in great condition.

Although, I have no idea how to open awning. PLEASE HELP!!!

danemayer

Hi magyarjuli,

Congratulations on the new-to-you North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure someone will jump in shortly to let you know how to open the awning. (Btw, I moved the thread to a better area.)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's a manual awning, there should be a black fabric "tab" hanging in the center of it when rolled up. You need an awning rod to stick into the loop to pull it open. Most likely, there is a release lever on the forward end of the roller than you need to pull with the rod first to unlock it in order to open it. To roll it back up, hook the rod into the strap and THEN activate the release lever. It is possible if it's manual, that the previous owner (or operator of the awning) let it retract without using the rod and the strap got rolled into the awning. You may need to use a ladder to start unrolling it, if that's the case.

Normally, a manual awning has arms that run all the way to the bottom of the trailer. They will also have large handles about midway that you use to adjust the angle once it's extended. The "arms" can actually be detached from the trailer wall and used as legs, to get them out of the way under the awning ends.

For an electric awning, there should be a switch inside the rig, near the rest of the switches. Electric awnings typically do not have mountings that extend to the bottom of the wall and don't have handles on the arms to adjust them. There is no manual method to extend an electric awning and retracting one "manually" if the motor quits needs to be done very carefully.

Thank you! It is a manual one but I don't see the black tab in the middle. It's also been sitting for 3 years now so it seems stuck. I will mess with it more tomorrow in daylight. Thanks for all your help.

pegmikef

Be advised, that it is spring loaded so i does take a little pressure to open it . . . don't let it go as it will snap back to the wall on you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless it's missing, you might be able to find the strap by pulling the roller only a short distance from the wall. If it is no longer in the roller groove when you fully unroll it (carefully), you can get one at a dealer. As you unroll it, you can reset the locking lever if you need to stop and regroup.

Our previous TT had a manual awning.

jimtoo

The youtube link Ken has above is just right... also.. look at the main upright and there is a handle on the side.... it maybe necessary to lift it up to get the support arm above and off the V notch that it rest on to take the weight off the arms when transporting. Not all have it ,,, but most do.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You will have to use the handle on both awning support arms . . . and lift it up (only about an inch or two . . . then pull the top of each support arm away from the trailer before you can unroll the awning.

TruckCamperHomeDepot-IMG_20140828_132314121.jpg RifleCO2014-IMG_2931.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg