How do I tie down the 5th wheel to suit Florida Code.

boalpd

Looking for how to info and where to buy the frame fasteners. Lots of info out on the web for manufactured home tie downs but nothing I can find for 5th wheels.

Has anybody done this?

thanks,
Phil
2013 BH Silverado RK

jayc

Legendary Member
Your trailer has an RVIA seal. It is a Recreational Vehicle, not manufactured home.

Garypowell

Probably the best thing is to contact where you are going to put it to see if there are any regulations they know of.

I live (sticks and bricks) and use the rig in Florida and don't know of any restrictions.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have never heard of having to tie down a 5er other than hooked to the hitch and Ebrake cable hooked to something.

danemayer

Looking for how to info and where to buy the frame fasteners. Lots of info out on the web for manufactured home tie downs but nothing I can find for 5th wheels.

Has anybody done this?

thanks,
Phil
2013 BH Silverado RK

Phil,

Are you permanently parking it as a residence?

MTPockets

Manufactured Homes are made with steel straps at each joint tying side wall studs to frame, and ceiling joists. The frame is then anchored to the ground by current codes, I believe, on 8 ft centers. I don't believe an RV has any such requirement (check it out in FL) but even if you do anchor the frame, a hurricane wind would rip the top off as the bracing is not the same and the manufacturing code is far different than Manufactured homes.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I was fulltiming, one of our winter home base sites was in the SoCal desert for four years. We got several wind storms with cross winds in the 80-90 MPH range, which was unnerving in a 5th wheel to say the least.

At one point I purchased auger type screws like the one's used to secure mobile homes against wind damage. My intent was to leave them at the site and use removable ratchet straps to secure the frame of the rig when we were staying at that location. My feeling was, if the rig isn't able to start tipping, it probably won't go over. Several others in the area had been flipped by the wind. Our situation changed and I never used them, because we gave up that site lease.

I have never heard of any code requirement for RV's, but the augers I purchased were like these. AUGERS.

danemayer

Yes, it will be up on blocks but vacant during summer.
I'd suggest you keep the registration up to date so there's no argument about it being a travel trailer. There have been some good suggestions about how to improve stability in high winds. I'd also suggest pulling slides in when you leave for more than a day or two.

Westwind

I snowbird in a RV Resort outside of Punta Gorda, Florida. They have 6 month and 1 year leases on lots and if you decide to leave your FW or TT on the lot year round you have to anchor it and skirt it for looks. Its a private, family owned resort and those are the requirements for leaving it on the site, if you chose not to tie it down (anchor) then the trailer must be moved to the storage section and you must pay a $25 a month storage fee. Unfortunately the space there is limited.
I'm almost certain this resort provides direction on how they want the RV tied down (# of anchors & location). Hurricane Charlie blew thru here 10 years or so ago and cleaned the whole resort out, over 350 units of
various types. That's why everything has to be tied down.
Am I impressed with the procedure? Not really. In 4 -5 years

HornedToad

I arrived at a music festival last year after a severe thunderstorm had just passed. A microburst had blown a small TT over on it's side and practically destroyed every awning & canopy left out. The winds in West Texas are strong, but cannot even be compared to a hurricane.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could have some tie down points welded to the frame and just use some Mobil Home tie downs to anchor it.