How do you carry your bicycles

Bike rack

I recently purchased a new hitch from Hitch Mart and installed it on our Bighorn.
The hitch is listed for a motor home but fit the frame on the Bighorn perfectly. I am sure it could be applied to most Heartland Units.
Total cost was about $280.00
Here is the link to Hitch Mart.
http://www.hitchmart.com/commerce/pr...1359&catId=170

I also used a ball type insert for the receiver and then welded a short receiver to the top of it to accept the bike rack and also to raise it about 3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3987&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241881937 //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3988&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1241881937

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we had the TT and the Avalanche to pull it, I took the front tires off the bikes and laid them on the bed, with a doubled plastic tarp under them. With the tires off, they laid flat. No problem.

If we take them on the road with the 3670, I'll probably do the same thing. Right now, they're parked in the kitchen of the 3670 (slides open) on a tarp up at our site until we return.

Motair

Bike Storage

I have to give credit, where credit is due to DragRacer who owns a Bighorn. They added two eye bolts to the front wall of their basement of their bighorn, took off the front wheels, and bike seats of their Mtn bikes, and used a bungee cord to secure the bikes to the wall. We did the same, and it works great with our 3670.

jstanco

BBM Pop
I was wondering if anyone has used the Curt E-100 bumper mount hitch for carrying bicycles. It seems like a pretty cost-effective method for hauling bikes around, especially if someone already has a 2-in receiver hitch-mount bike rack. Does the sewer hose bumper support enough weight to hold, say, 300 pounds? With the tire rack on as well? I have a North Trail 28BH fiver.

JohnDar

I have to give credit, where credit is due to DragRacer who owns a Bighorn. They added two eye bolts to the front wall of their basement of their bighorn, took off the front wheels, and bike seats of their Mtn bikes, and used a bungee cord to secure the bikes to the wall. We did the same, and it works great with our 3670.

Interesting idea. I'll have to look into that. The front tires basically just clamp in place, no bolts. Same for the seats.

aatauses

We have a 3670 and wondered the same thing. We decided to put roof racks on our tow vehicle. They are no bother while we are towing and nothing to change when we get to the rv park. We bought them from yakima
aatauses

johnjbird

Don't know how much you use them but I got 2 foldup bikes YEAH model from camping world. usually cheaper than installing a rear hitch. I have a 2008 3400 rl and they fit nicely in the front compartment and still leave room for a plastic tub. good luck and try to make a rally

tdharley

front hitch

hi guys

long time no talk to

i put on a front hitch on my truck. it does not block the lights but takes a little getting use to.

deee2

how many bugs do they collect? We just got an estimate for a receiver to be installed and total price was ONE thousand bucks. We're not in THAT much of a hurry. Back to the thinking board.... so tell me again, how buggy do they get? My DH says we can't cover them in the front, as it wouldn't let enough air through to the radiator.

Thanks,

JohnDar

Storing bikes in 3670 basement

I guess it all depends on which bikes you have. We've got Schwinn Sierra 21 speed mountain bikes. The wife's will probably fit into the basement, with the front tire off, but mine will not. Even dropping the seat barely gets in, but the front is too tall, even with the tire off. I could probably get it in if I loosened the handlebars and rotated them forward, but it's just as easy to roll them both into the kitchen area and secure them inside the rig while we're not "in residence." When we do take the 3670 on some future road trips, it's not likely we'd take the bikes, anyways.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Dahon 6 speed foldup bikes. Got them a couple of years ago at Camping World. These are the best riding bikes we have ever owned. We store them in the front basement compartment. Easy to fold up and store, easy to get out and unfold, and great riding.

jstanco

BBM Pop
Bikes on Front of Truck

Okay, so I broke down and got a front receiver hitch for my Silverado 2500HD. Yes, it takes a little getting used to, but hey, I feel a WHOLE lot better when I can see the bikes than when I can't!

Went to Door County, WI, with them and it worked out pretty well. When I had the bikes off and was sightseeing, I just left the Yakima rack on the front.

BTW, the hitch only cost about $300 (Curt brand).

Attachments

• bikes on front.jpg
    bikes on front.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 87

deee2

wow, that looks like you could get a ticket for obstructing your view? I'm glad you posted that, because that's what *I* wanted, and hubby wants the receiver hitch on the back of the trailer. The way I see it, there's no clear cut easy answer!!