How many ladies out there driving while pulling their 5th wheel?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I've been pulling gooseneck horsetrailer's since I was 14 years old (long time now) so driving a 35' 5'vr is no big deal. Most of the time I'll relent and let my DH drive on local runs but he is very willing to let me drive on long runs (mainly to let him rest). We are heading out west in May with 12 to 14 hour days and he has already said that he expects me to drive 1/2. Not a problem. Suggestion - Practice in a large high school parking lot on the weekends, using the line parking spaces and orange cones to learn how the trailer behaves. GO FOR IT GAL. Byrd

jgoddardg

My better half had never driven our dually except for a five minute test drive when we purchased it. Had never even thought of pulling the 5th wheel. Coming home from Charleston, SC last year, I'd had trouble with double vision. According to her, I was all over the road, since I didn't know which two of the four lanes I was seeing were the true ones. We got into road construction shortly out of Charleston and had to stop, so she jumped out of the truck, came around to the driver side and demanded I let her drive. Good sense prevailed and I reluctantly got out. Unfortunately, we'd just had DVD players installed in the rear of the front seats for the grandkids and since I'd never needed to adjust the seats and mirrors for myself after setting them up in memory, they had been disconnected during the installation. Neither the seat adjustment nor the mirror adjustments worked, so she sat on a pillow and leaned back on her purse and we took off. I woke up going up the road and she was trucking along at 70 mph. She drove us the next 400 miles to home, avoiding having to back up or do anything exotic. By the time we arrived home, I was able to see well enough to back the RV up and park it. Needless to say, my wife now knows she can drive the dually or pull the 5th wheel when necessary and I would be very comfortable with her doing it anytime now.

truknutt

Committed Member
Hey Chickie,

Great that you want to try your hand at this fun!!

Have the Chief hook up and head up to either the old Ollie's/Tractor Supply parking lot (watch for debris) or up to the old Food Lion/Old Lowe's parking lot behind Perkins & Popeye's.

Set up some cones and have fun. What a way to spend an afternoon!

My missus likes to be "in charge" so I allow her the satisfaction of riding in the "Vehicle Commander's" seat while I drive! :D

Dave

RoLintwo

We split the driving. 2hrs behind the wheel, then stop and change.
Linda drives as good as anyone. A farm girl that drive anything with wheels.
Denver, Salt Lake, L.A. , no problem.
We full time and spend the winter in arizona.
2006 Chevy.D/A,SB,4x4,cc.
2008 3055RL
Happy Trails everyone

Garry & Bev

travel bug
Driving our truck and trailer is a little intimidating to me as well. I did drive our smaller 5th wheel just for a short distance and did ok. I should take the time to learn though.
While in Arizona a lady that had just lost her husband traveled from Canada to Mexico alone pulling her 5th wheel. When I told her she was sure brave, her answer was that if she wanted to continue traveling with her 5th, she had to learn how to drive it. Up until that point her husband had done all the driving. I still say,"Brave lady!"

We purchased a 2009 Bighorn 3580 last March and my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease last month. Wow. He's only 52. Today actually. So, I HAVE to learn how to drive it if we want to use it. Scares the *^&@ out of me. Does anyone know if anyone "teaches" women how to drive these rigs? I don't want to sell it.....yet. Any ideas?

TXBobcat

Fulltime
tPat and I while in California we took the Dick Reed RV Driving course.
I would recommend this one and suggest that you take a driving course. I have been backing horse trailers, hay trailers and such for years. They taught me a lot about driving and parking our 5er. They also taught us how to back the 5er with Pat driving and me navagating. No cell phone, walkie talkie or such and we don't stand behind the trailer. If your intrested PM me.

Jerry, our instructor, told us that she was actually the better one to back the trailer. Now she doesn't like to back but she goes slow like your suppose to while I try to back to quickly. She is a very good driver, again she doesn't like to drive but she can.

I do need to work with her to know how to setup and take down the trailer, but in case of an emergency we can get someone to do that for her at the campground, then take off.

Dick Reed Driving School

Search for RV Driving

Hope this helps.

Christytra

We have almost the same question going over at the North Trail forum too! I hate to drive my own car seven miles to work so I never volunteer to drive on vacation. I can drive the TT as long as I don't have to make quick or tight lane changes. I do not back-up. We have the 31 BHD so it's pretty big. I do plan to learn this summer. Sam has two weeks off in August but has to go to work for three days in the middle. I plan to stay in the campground while he takes a second car back home to work for those days. I feel it is important for me to be able to move alone if anything should happen.

Christy

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
There is no special talent to drive a big rig semi or 5th wheel trailer...a woman can do it as good or better than a man! All they have to have is a desire to do so.

Jburks

westxsrt10, I know a few people that would disagree with you that no special talents afre required to control a 80,000 lb semi, that being said I think it is a most excellent idea for the ladies to learn to pull their 5er, I have been trying for five years to get my DW to try, I know she will succeed, after all it's just practice, practice, practice. As far as backing just remember if you are not sure get out and look, I have done this on many occasions and wil continue this practice, better to be sure than damage the 5er.;)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
westxsrt10, I know a few people that would disagree with you that no special talents afre required to control a 80,000 lb semi, that being said I think it is a most excellent idea for the ladies to learn to pull their 5er, I have been trying for five years to get my DW to try, I know she will succeed, after all it's just practice, practice, practice. As far as backing just remember if you are not sure get out and look, I have done this on many occasions and wil continue this practice, better to be sure than damage the 5er.;)

I didnt mean no talent was needed to drive a big rig, I meant a woman can drive a big rig as well as a man. (bulky muscles are not required).

talley

Glad to see this topic discussed!! I too have frequent vision problems whic would make it dangerous to drive while experiencing the symptoms. Also, have early stage Parkinsons which at this point does not hinder driving, but may slowly progress. I am one of those lucky... not only does DW drive... she now drives most of the time. Yes, I like Ray was a little nervous as exibited by well intended "backseat driver syndrome".

We have been in the full-timer experience for the past two and half years. It was not intended when we started, but in that time frame DW has taken over most of the driving and backing. So far. she has driven trips from South Texas area to Florida, California, and will drive the trip to Goshen this June for the Heartland Rally.

DW driving has included Los Angeles freeways traffic (before retiring we lived in Houston and she drove the traffic and freeways)

On one return trip from Florida we pulled into a state park (Fontainblue [sp]) in Lousiana after dark. Our space was wooded and a tight back-in. While backing we received help in spotting on both sides of trailer. After getting situated in the space word got out that a "woman was drivingW. DW was immediately visited by several ladies from the nearby group campfire. She got well deserved allocades. I am sure there are many ladies out there doing the driving for couples and for themselves. There is no reason they can't handle these duties, except for developing confidence and comfort levels.

DW has developed hers and has become tolerant of my "helpful" driving "suggestions" and I have tried to limit my observations on traffic conditions.

Good luck and safe driving to those ladies who get into the drivers seat...

BobSue

Well thanks to this thread, I finally got the DW to try her hand.
On the way home from the Spring Rally I pulled over on the toll road and she took over.

She did great, just as I knew she would. Managed to make it through several expressway changes and exit on to the surface streets. Drove for an hour. The only complaint I had is she takes the sharp xway curves too fast; but she has always had a lead foot.:eek:

Hopefully, next trip I can get her to drive on surface streets. She is still worried about the too sharp turns. Probably from watching me go over too many curbs.:D

Thanks for bringing up the subject.

flamingknitter

Chickie
I was out of town and almost missed this topic. My husband was killed in Iraq two years ago and since then, have learned to do almost everything by myself. A year ago, I bought a Landmark Augusta and a Chevy 3500 DRW and have been out at least once a month since then. My husband's family all have 5ers so if I wanted to be included - I had to get one too!!

I have been to two Heartland rally's so far and am headed to the Oregon rally in June.

I took a driving lesson to become familiar with my rig and how to drive it. I am getting better every time I take it out and more confident of my abilities. I also am learning how things work on the rig although I really do appreciate all the help I have had from the guys. I think every wife should know how to drive towing a their fifth wheel. Stuff happens and there is no guarantee that your man will always be around to squire you around. (As I found out).

Just as a personal opinion - get someone besides your husband to drive with you to teach you how to do stuff. There is more than one method used to teach people how to back up and you need to find a way that makes sense to you. Backing up can be really frustrating and tempers can flare!!!

Good Luck!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When you are making a right turn, Jerry of Dick Reeds driving course, told us that you can pull straight ahead until the curb or the line you want to turn on is just behind your right shoulder, turn your wheel as far as possible, watch your passenger side tires and the cars in the other lane. You should be able to make the turn into the correct lane. Narrow roads are a real pain. Not sure if this works with all car/trucks but you should be able to turn your wheel 2 full revolutions for a maximum turn either direction.

We have to work on the turning and watch the persons in the on coming lane. Try it and see what you come up with..

BC

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
I tow 100% of the time.....

;)
Yep! I sure do. Wouldn't have it any other way. This is our 2nd fifthwheel, and fifth trailer. I enjoy it, and my husband is more than happy to let me do "my job". We have been camping since 1978, and I've been the primary driver since then, give or take a few miles here and there just to give me a rest. He gives great directions when I'm backing up and I just have a gift for it, I guess.:rolleyes:

I'm still getting used to our Big Horn. Different hitch (extended), and it is 2 feet longer than our previous 5er, but I'll get it down pat real soon.

Come on ladies! You can do it. I like the looks I get, anyway!:eek:

HRAI

Chickie
I was out of town and almost missed this topic. My husband was killed in Iraq two years ago and since then, have learned to do almost everything by myself. A year ago, I bought a Landmark Augusta and a Chevy 3500 DRW and have been out at least once a month since then. My husband's family all have 5ers so if I wanted to be included - I had to get one too!!

I have been to two Heartland rally's so far and am headed to the Oregon rally in June.

I took a driving lesson to become familiar with my rig and how to drive it. I am getting better every time I take it out and more confident of my abilities. I also am learning how things work on the rig although I really do appreciate all the help I have had from the guys. I think every wife should know how to drive towing a their fifth wheel. Stuff happens and there is no guarantee that your man will always be around to squire you around. (As I found out).

Just as a personal opinion - get someone besides your husband to drive with you to teach you how to do stuff. There is more than one method used to teach people how to back up and you need to find a way that makes sense to you. Backing up can be really frustrating and tempers can flare!!!

Good Luck!!

Marybeth,

My heart gooes out to you. I'm very sorry about your husband. He paid the ultimate price. And you have paid dearly as well. I'm very greatful to have you Americans as my neighbor. You guys are the best.

I don't mean to change the subject of this thread, but when I hear of someone having laid down their life for the good of others, I get very emotional about it.

Sincerely,

Guy

Chickie

Thank You

Chickie

Good Luck!!

Marybeth,

I am sorry to hear of your husbands death. We are retired military and sincerly appreciate the sacrifice our Military members and their spouse and family endure. God Bless you.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am learning so much and appreciate the encouraging responses.

Chickie

I'll try that ..

When you are making a right turn, Jerry of Dick Reeds driving course, told us that you can pull straight ahead until the curb or the line you want to turn on is just behind your right shoulder, turn your wheel as far as possible, watch your passenger side tires and the cars in the other lane. You should be able to make the turn into the correct lane. Narrow roads are a real pain. Not sure if this works with all car/trucks but you should be able to turn your wheel 2 full revolutions for a maximum turn either direction.

We have to work on the turning and watch the persons in the on coming lane. Try it and see what you come up with..

BC

Thanks I will try that tip.